Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2021, 12:20 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveler A30
State: Oklahoma
THOR #23072
Onan 5000 Watt Generator hours....

Hey guys we have a 2019 Thor Freedom TravelerA30 which we bought last August it was sold to us a new only 800 mile on it.. those were from the factory to the dealer we bought it from here in Oklahoma...it has an Onan 5000 watt gen on it.....we took it on one trip for three days at a lake that had fifty amp hook ups and water so we have not ever had the generator started.....to use during camping while camping we found things wrong with the RV and took it back for warranty work three months later into October we got it back....so I had it winterized and we parked it....first warm day that was close to 70 I went out to do some work on it I decided to start the generator and check it out, I have no clue how to read the meter inside the RV when I start it up it says 46.8 what I am trying to find out is that 46.8 hours OR 46.8 tenths minutes if its 46.8 hours we are taking it back and demanding a new generator or a new RV as I said it was sold as new supposedly maybe an or hour or so on the generator according to the salesman....Can anyone with a Thor like ours clue me in on this???? Thanks

Old 05-06-2021, 12:34 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
That's 46.8 hours runtime on the generator. How many hours were on it when you did your PDI? Your generator needs to be run monthly under load for at least 30 minutes to an hour for maintenance per the manual.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:09 AM   #3

THOR #23072
Hi as far as we know it only had a couple of hours we bought it brand new last August, states that on our contract, odo had 800 miles on it and when I asked the salesman he said only about two to four hours on the Gen..... could the meter be wonkie???/Maybe needs to be replaced... I just started the gen up for the first time today...so either the meter is wrong or......we got screwed by CW guess Ill call Thor and talk to them tomorrow then if we have to go see a lawyer...
Old 05-06-2021, 01:17 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonicaking View Post
Hey guys we have a 2019 Thor Freedom TravelerA30 which we bought last August it was sold to us a new only 800 mile on it.. those were from the factory to the dealer we bought it from here in Oklahoma...it has an Onan 5000 watt gen on it.....we took it on one trip for three days at a lake that had fifty amp hook ups and water so we have not ever had the generator started.....to use during camping while camping we found things wrong with the RV and took it back for warranty work three months later into October we got it back....so I had it winterized and we parked it....first warm day that was close to 70 I went out to do some work on it I decided to start the generator and check it out, I have no clue how to read the meter inside the RV when I start it up it says 46.8 what I am trying to find out is that 46.8 hours OR 46.8 tenths minutes if its 46.8 hours we are taking it back and demanding a new generator or a new RV as I said it was sold as new supposedly maybe an or hour or so on the generator according to the salesman....Can anyone with a Thor like ours clue me in on this???? Thanks
I am going to assume that all of your assumptions are 100% accurate. You have a 2019 RV with ONLY 46.8 hours and you have NOT run it at all in 10 months!!! You should be thankful to whoever ran it before. I run my generator every chance I get, and I just went over 100 hours!!! I have 2019 as well. My RV was new like yours with only miles from Mfg to Dealer and ONLY .1 hour when I first saw it. But it had 3 hrs on it later that evening when we bought it and drove it off the lot

To get 46.8 hours before selling it is likely due to sitting on the lot and people that were interested in buying it would start it and run it to see what it does, number of hrs etc. as you should have done before buying.

If that generator is working fine, you don't won't anyone trying to fool with putting in another new one even they were to say they would because 46.8 hrs is nothing let alone request a new RV

My advise or suggestion if you really just wish to press the Dealer, tell them your beef and see if they are willing to do your first oil change service on the Onan 5500 for free? At 50 hrs it is about that time for 1st oil change. After that; I believe it is after every 150 hours.

If you get a Lawyer you can kiss goodbye anything happening, but the money you pay your attorney. I am trying to recall if the paperwork has the number of hours on Generator? Either way you would be screwed. Say it had 46.8 hrs for Generator, you signed the paper work.... say it only had 2 hours on paper but it actually had 46.8 hrs? How would you prove the paperwork was wrong? If paperwork was wrong you still signed?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:57 AM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Well, it’s a mystery. But I’d suggest it’s a pretty insignificant one. My coach is a 2019 that had sat on the dealers lot for most of a year before I bought it. It had only delivery miles on it but 31 hrs on the generator. I guess it means someone ran it before I bought it and if so I’d be glad to shake his hand. My generator starts easily and runs great. I had need of it at 0400 one day when it was 14 degrees outside last February (in south Texas of all places!) and it started right up. I’m at about 100 hours now and consider it barely broken in. If your coach is working fine and you like it just count your blessings and go camping.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:21 AM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Half of that was probably run time during delivery from plant to dealer.

Unless you have concrete proof of fraud or deception suck it up and learn from you mistake. Also read your manual and start exercising the generator as required.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:40 AM   #7

State: Washington
THOR #6433
I wouldn’t worry too much about it. As long it works 60 hours is nothing. In all reality if the generator is taken care of it will probably outlast most of the components on the coach. In all reality the dealership was probably running the gen at an RV show or something. When it was shipped the generator could had been on as well.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:56 AM   #8

THOR #23072
So making this crystal to some....this is our very first RV and I was seriously seeking advice not someone telling me to suck it up and learn from my mistakes and read that manual and start running that generator... proof! ive got a book full of games these folks have played including the multiple times they have ghosted us to avoid fixing issues...their time is coming.....and they will be dealt with in a legal manner....Ty Pete for your sage advice.....I will take it to heart....same with you DK Oldman....the other guy yeh ill look at that manual and follow procedure because I got a life time of doing that as well as writing up some of those procedures... until then I will move on to another website where I can discuss this with folks that are a bit friendlier....Ty Pete and DK.....SEMPER FI...COL D. Taylor USMC retired 1968-2014 The only thing saving the world from me is MY WIFE !!!LOL
Old 05-06-2021, 06:31 AM   #9

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
It's very possible that the person who drove your RV from the plant to the dealership ran the generator so they could run the a/c in the coach, it's also possible that the dealership ran the generator so they could run the a/c while showing it. I wouldn't worry to much about the hours it's very low.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:04 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
I wouldn’t worry too much about it. As long it works 60 hours is nothing. In all reality if the generator is taken care of it will probably outlast most of the components on the coach. In all reality the dealership was probably running the gen at an RV show or something. When it was shipped the generator could had been on as well.

Great response. I’d bet the coach had been taken to a nearby or on-site RV show or “sales event” where they ran the generator to keep the AC on. Happens a lot. The other good suggestion if you really want to have words with the dealer is to ask them to do the first service on the generator. Don’t know about this model but the service schedule for mine calls for oil change after the first 20 hours. A reasonable argument could be made for that being on the dealer. Though after 10 months it might be pushing it.