Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2021, 03:25 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
But after you fill the 1.5" pipe from the gray water tank to the wet bay with the pink stuff you don't take a shower or use the sink? RV antifreeze shouldn't be mixed with water because RV antifreeze doesn't expand when it freezes in the +20 degrees. If water is added it takes away the non expanding properties that RV antifreeze is known for and when the water freezes it expands and breaks things
The water in the tank doesn't seem to mix well with the anti-freeze in the drain pipe. The specific gravity of propylene glycol with phosphate is 1.046 in a 60% solution. <https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/propylene-glycol-d_363.html> I had a chance to test the theory in February with 50 hours below freezing and a low of 9 degrees. No damage to the coach.

Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 08:51 PM   #22

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The water in the tank doesn't seem to mix well with the anti-freeze in the drain pipe. The specific gravity of propylene glycol with phosphate is 1.046 in a 60% solution. <https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/propylene-glycol-d_363.html> I had a chance to test the theory in February with 50 hours below freezing and a low of 9 degrees. No damage to the coach.
If your bay is heated like mine it would never get cold enough to freeze. I wonder about the campers with exposed drain lines subjected to freezing temps. I could take some of my left over RV antifreeze and mix it with water and put it into a sealed glass container ( like a baby food jar with a screw on lid) and see if it breaks over night. I'm too old to have baby food jars, I'll need to find something else
Old 01-01-2022, 08:14 PM   #23

Model: ACE 30.3
State: California
THOR #17673
Any chance it was a FROST warning and not Freeze?
We get the frost warnings here when we go inland in OC CA.
Frost can occur on grass and plants before you reach 32 degrees.
Our golf courses will wait to let golfers out till after the frost clears.

We have a 33.1 THOR ACE and have had it in the mountains when it was snowing with no problems. They even turned off the water in the campground.

HOWEVER... we were staying in the coach, so we had the heater higher than 50 degrees. We have a dog, and I don't like him in his bed when it is below 61 degrees.

Having the coach at a higher temp should make the storage warmer.
But we really didn't use the propane heater that much. We used a cheap electric heater more than anything. So that doesn't really help the storage compartment.
Old 01-01-2022, 08:54 PM   #24

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
If your bay is heated like mine it would never get cold enough to freeze. I wonder about the campers with exposed drain lines subjected to freezing temps. I could take some of my left over RV antifreeze and mix it with water and put it into a sealed glass container ( like a baby food jar with a screw on lid) and see if it breaks over night. I'm too old to have baby food jars, I'll need to find something else
Just to be clear, my tanks are in the heated basement. The black water tank is in the wet bay and the black and gray water valves are there also. The cross coach water lines are below the floor in a heated trough above the black water tank. The 1.5" pipe drain pipe drops down the low end of gray water tank and runs into the back of the heated wet bay. The entire 20" length of that pipe is un-insulated and in the open. I had to replace it the first winter. It seems there is always a little water left in the black water tank after dumping and rinsing the tank. The moving it to the storage barn the residual water filled the pipe about halfway full. I winterized the coach with RV antifreeze and let is sit in the zero degree weather. Next spring getting ready to our annual trip to FL, I found the pipe split just before the entering the wet bay, but the dump valve in great condition. Thus I surmised the water did not mix with the RV antifreeze. Now I leave the dump valve open and pour a little down the kitchen sink until I see pink in the tub under the dump valve. I close the valve and continue to pour about a half gallon in the kitchen sink and then the enough in the shower to fill the P-trap (duckbill).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 11:05 PM   #25

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Just to be clear, my tanks are in the heated basement. The black water tank is in the wet bay and the black and gray water valves are there also. The cross coach water lines are below the floor in a heated trough above the black water tank. The 1.5" pipe drain pipe drops down the low end of gray water tank and runs into the back of the heated wet bay. The entire 20" length of that pipe is un-insulated and in the open. I had to replace it the first winter. It seems there is always a little water left in the black water tank after dumping and rinsing the tank. The moving it to the storage barn the residual water filled the pipe about halfway full. I winterized the coach with RV antifreeze and let is sit in the zero degree weather. Next spring getting ready to our annual trip to FL, I found the pipe split just before the entering the wet bay, but the dump valve in great condition. Thus I surmised the water did not mix with the RV antifreeze. Now I leave the dump valve open and pour a little down the kitchen sink until I see pink in the tub under the dump valve. I close the valve and continue to pour about a half gallon in the kitchen sink and then the enough in the shower to fill the P-trap (duckbill).
I kind of do the same thing. I dump everything and leave the valves open after dumping the rv antifreeze runs on the ground so nothing is in the tank
Old 01-02-2022, 12:26 AM   #26

Model: Ace 30.4
State: Ontario
THOR #20348
Dont worry about it. At that temp if it’ s only one or two nights your pipes will not damage
Old 01-02-2022, 12:59 AM   #27
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Well, I hope the OP made it through his one night "cold spell" 4 NIGHTS AGO without issue.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freeze prevention, heater, winterize water system