Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2019, 11:03 AM   #41
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
Mmm okay never thought about there not being enough room for feet
It takes a real Klutz; in order to find these sorts of things...

And I'm one of the worst!

Old 05-20-2019, 11:40 AM   #42

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
You can take the extra large size cup holder and map area off to give you more room. All you have to do is pull up. They make a smaller replacement one that you can put on if you would like.
I haven’t seen any smaller from Ford. Are you talking about aftermarket, or something ordered from Ford? I know sometimes they have items for commercial fleets, etc.

Older consoles like mine were even larger. Mine is wider and runs all the way down to floor so transmission hump isn’t even visible. It has a lot more space and storage below, but makes getting legs and feet through that much harder. I thought of installing a newer console but didn’t want to give up the extra cup holders or storage compartments below.

Floor space for feet is indeed limited, particularly on passenger side. A smaller doghouse for smaller engine would be nice revision if Ford got around to it.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:45 AM   #43
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Perhaps the shorter V-8 will get them the space that they need...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:58 AM   #44

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Post 27-31 sorta sums up the biggest advantages/differences. It's not like you're going to be sliding into the driver's seat 25 times a day. The quality of the automotive styled cab is huge. The view and space of the Class A is huge. Having to run a generator and rooftop A/C all day is a huge disadvantage. My Class C stays very comfortable underway with just the dash A/C. I also like being able to get out of the coach at fuel stops, etc., directly from the cab instead of the "one door" in the A's. They both have super advantages and disadvantages. Take your time when purchasing, drive both of them for an extended distance...make the right call for you and live with it....or trade it in six months for something else. Lots of people do...and it isn't necessarily a mistake...it's a learning process...and an expensive one at that.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:04 PM   #45

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Post 27-31 sorta sums up the biggest advantages/differences. It's not like you're going to be sliding into the driver's seat 25 times a day. The quality of the automotive styled cab is huge. The view and space of the Class A is huge. Having to run a generator and rooftop A/C all day is a huge disadvantage. My Class C stays very comfortable underway with just the dash A/C. I also like being able to get out of the coach at fuel stops, etc., directly from the cab instead of the "one door" in the A's. They both have super advantages and disadvantages. Take your time when purchasing, drive both of them for an extended distance...make the right call for you and live with it....or trade it in six months for something else. Lots of people do...and it isn't necessarily a mistake...it's a learning process...and an expensive one at that.
Good points. We have a Sprinter and able to curtain off the cab from the main part of the rv to keep ac/heat up front on long day runs.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:10 PM   #46
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We do the same thing...
Old 05-20-2019, 01:14 PM   #47

THOR #2121
Quote:

......cut..... The view and space of the Class A is huge. .....cut......

I understand the extra space may be of great value, but I can’t relate to the “view” that so many describe. Granted the windshield may be twice as large, but my field of vision doesn’t feel that different. There’s more glass above, but I’m not even sure I like that. Side to side I see the same 180 degrees regardless of windshield size.

I’m not saying it’s not a real advantage for most drivers and passengers, it just doesn’t make a difference to me.

What I do like a lot about Class A visibility is when riding in back. Extra passengers in back have a more limited view of the road ahead when riding in a Class C, particularly when house elevation is much higher than cab area.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:22 PM   #48
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Field of vision is limited by your own eyeballs: not how much open space you have in front of them.
Once you reach their limitations: that's all that you'll have, and not a bit more.
But could you imagine how silly the styling on the Class A rigs would be; if they made the windshields smaller?
Old 05-20-2019, 01:35 PM   #49

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I understand the extra space may be of great value, but I can’t relate to the “view” that so many describe. Granted the windshield may be twice as large, but my field of vision doesn’t feel that different. There’s more glass above, but I’m not even sure I like that. Side to side I see the same 180 degrees regardless of windshield size.

I’m not saying it’s not a real advantage for most drivers and passengers, it just doesn’t make a difference to me.

What I do like a lot about Class A visibility is when riding in back. Extra passengers in back have a more limited view of the road ahead when riding in a Class C, particularly when house elevation is much higher than cab area.

Totally agree with you and one of the many reasons I went with a C. I use the Cobra Drive HD Dash Cam. Not only does it record but I can Blue Tooth it to the 50" TV upfront and passengers can see everything as we travel. My wife says it's freaky...makes her feel like she's riding on the roof.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:13 PM   #50
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If she's gonna sit up there: tell her to watch out for the low-hanging bridges!
Old 05-20-2019, 03:06 PM   #51

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

.....cut....

But could you imagine how silly the styling on the Class A rigs would be; if they made the windshields smaller?
Actually, in some cases it may look better. I personally like the Axis/Vegas appearance a lot better when they went to the smaller windshield in 2016.

Smaller Class As in Europe have proportionally smaller windshields and they look right; plus I’m certain the view is not obstructed by the smaller size.

I personally like Class Bs, except for their smaller size, because they have most of the advantages of both As and Cs. You get OEM cab quality, doors at front, side and back, ease of maintenance, etc. It’s a long list of advantages. Now if a major manufacturer would only build an Axis-size van.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51FE4B32-614F-4287-B934-732E0BDC1E8D.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	17523  
Old 05-20-2019, 03:27 PM   #52

THOR #11130
^^Got my eyes on them^^ As stated in previous posts...our plan is to downsize in a couple years, after conquering the Wild, Wild West. Interesting to see how creative these guys are getting with the B's. I've already picked out my next MH...but things will only get better over time.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:36 PM   #53

THOR #2121
I hope the future includes super-sized vans so we have more choices. A Class B the size of a small Class A would be perfect for us.

Unfortunately, the one pictured above is electric drive only, and manufactured in China (poor quality???). However, the idea of a van that size, with 675 cubic feet of cargo volume, is so appealing for a camper conversion. That’s more than twice what I have, although the 26.5-ft length is a bit much for me. For US roads it could be a bit wider in order to keep it around 23~24 ft in length (like longest Sprinter vans), while preserving same living space.

If nothing else, the cab area looks very open compared to van-based Cutaways. The 86” width plus not having an engine doghouse really pays off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FDA48A5D-CEA7-4457-920D-02101BF9DEEF.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	17524  
Old 05-20-2019, 04:59 PM   #54
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Maybe you just need a new set of Ray-Ban sunglasses...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1558371576
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ea6547cc0d793e787e51cc6a700741a8--cool-campers-rv-campers.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	17525  
Old 05-20-2019, 05:07 PM   #55

THOR #11130
Bob..yet again...you are Spot On. As we clean out the house for our transition to retirement in Florida, just yesterday, I found my original...Made in USA, Ray Ban Aviators (still in original case) from my Air Force days in the 70's. For the first time in nearly 50 years, I can wear them again...thanks to the new cataract surgery! Vision is now 20/20!!!
Old 05-20-2019, 05:15 PM   #56
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1558372512
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gunny 02.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	17526  
Old 05-20-2019, 05:41 PM   #57

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
Don't know if this has been touched on or not, but here goes. Besides all of the technical stuff desired, drooled over, and dreamed about in your new to you maybe first time motor home, there is one thing you should consider when looking at all of those MHs you're lusting over. To us, one of the most important considerations is be sure you have enough room to stay out of one another's way from time to time. Do you both sleep soundly? One or both snore? Both get up at the same time? Light sleeper? Sleep like a rock? Believe me, these can be more important than any desired technical aspects you might be thinking of. Our 68" couch with the arms removed has saved us many times. I'm an early riser, making coffee at 4:30-5:00AM, she snoozes until 8 - lightly. Sometimes with the right weather I quietly go outside and make coffee on the picnic table. Quietly! Sometimes we're both in the bed, sometimes we're not. Give these options some consideration.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:50 PM   #58

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
I was actually bugged more by the lack of room for my feet...
ha ha..yeah that was one of my early on observations...but that hasn't proven to be an issue in the least for me. What did take me some time to get used to is the gas pedal height above the floor. I recon it's made for folks with maybe size 13 or greater shoes....but yet the cab in the RV doesn't let the seat go back far enough for such a person.

I'm pretty much average...about 5-10 and wear around a 10 shoe. the seat all the way back is perfect for me....but I have to rest my right foot on top of my left foot in order to reach the gas pedal...or hold my heel off the floor the whole time....

I never have been very impressed with the E series vans...even as a kid long before I ever thought about RV's I just thought they were weird.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:52 PM   #59

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I haven’t seen any smaller from Ford. Are you talking about aftermarket, or something ordered from Ford? I know sometimes they have items for commercial fleets, etc.

Older consoles like mine were even larger. Mine is wider and runs all the way down to floor so transmission hump isn’t even visible. It has a lot more space and storage below, but makes getting legs and feet through that much harder. I thought of installing a newer console but didn’t want to give up the extra cup holders or storage compartments below.

Floor space for feet is indeed limited, particularly on passenger side. A smaller doghouse for smaller engine would be nice revision if Ford got around to it.
I can’t remember where I saw it but I believe it was aftermarket or even from a different ford vehicle. I will have to see if I can find the forum it was in.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:53 PM   #60

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
It takes a real Klutz; in order to find these sorts of things...

And I'm one of the worst!
Haha we all have our moments, I am 6’5 and you would think after all these years ducking would be a more natural instinct