Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2019, 02:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Illinois
THOR #12237
Angry Update to my last post

In my last post, I stated that I had changed the house batteries in my 2018 Chateau 31W, and afterword nothing would work. I had removed the original batteries at winterizing, and replaced with new ones this month. How hard could this be? One black lead, and three red leads. After two days of scratching my head, I gave up and took the MH to general RV. They found that one of those three red leads was in fact a negative! Whose fault was this? Probably mine for forgetting over the winter how I disconnected the wires, but Thor's for mis-labeling the cable.Live and learn, I guess. It did cost me an 1800 watt inverter, though, which got fried in the process.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
I have & everyone should go out to their rig with a label maker and flag all battery connections and take a photo. You might say I don't need that I know where they go. I would do it anyway in case of some type of ROOKIE REPAIR TECH takes them off??? Then reinstalled incorrectly and burns up your electronics. The color tape Thor uses on the cables is VERY MISLEADING.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:31 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEustice View Post
In my last post, I stated that I had changed the house batteries in my 2018 Chateau 31W, and afterword nothing would work. I had removed the original batteries at winterizing, and replaced with new ones this month. How hard could this be? One black lead, and three red leads. After two days of scratching my head, I gave up and took the MH to general RV. They found that one of those three red leads was in fact a negative! Whose fault was this? Probably mine for forgetting over the winter how I disconnected the wires, but Thor's for mis-labeling the cable.Live and learn, I guess. It did cost me an 1800 watt inverter, though, which got fried in the process.
Yep. Had the same thing on my 2014 Vegas. A Thor installer took a black battery cable and put a piece of red tape at the end, which was supposed to make it a red positive wire. I don’t trust any colored wired in my Axis. I recently had a tech come look at my AC which was acting up and he pulled the thermostat noted the color of the wires and then pulled the AC electrical box. I said to him “don’t trust that the same color wire runs all the way from the thermostat to the box”. He said “it’s one bundle and it’s run all the way”. When he checked, all the wires were different. I was not surprised.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:52 PM   #4

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I always take pictures of the before so that I can refer to it after the job is completed
Old 05-11-2019, 05:10 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
I always take pictures of the before so that I can refer to it after the job is completed
This technique is indispensable.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:08 PM   #6

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Anything that has more than one battery needs to be looked at closely and the cables traced and as many learn that is invaluable. On the Farm and Ranch we kept one roll of welder cable for battery cables and made our own as needed. All Black so you simply trace out what you are hooking up. Mine are all Black on the Tuscany as well and they came that way.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:48 AM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Sometimes even that isn’t enough. A previous owner apparently buggered up the wiring to some of the exterior lights on my coach and totally bodged the work. Bare wires, twisted together and wrapped with electrical tape. Problem I’m having is that EVERY wire is black. Argh!