Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2019, 07:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #4986
Battery question

Engine will not start nor will the generator. I get a lot of clicking sounds when trying to start engine but that’s it. It appears all the batteries are dead. Is the only access for the chassis battery under the passenger table on a 2017 25.2 Vegas? Appreciate any help.

Jerry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:07 PM   #2

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
They're not dead, just not enough juice to start. Same problem in the past. I plugged mine into shore power in my driveway and left it for a couple of hours. Fired up immediately, recharged and everything worked fine. You can reach the coach battery from the front but not to remove it unless you remove other things. Under the passenger table seems to be the only access although Camping World told me they would install the auto fill attachment to the batteries for the arms and legs of my first born and would gain access to the chassis battery by removing the right front wheel. I did it myself from the front and learned a few new words, even at my age. When I didn't let the coach (also 2017 Axis 25.2) set for more than 2 weeks without running it there was no problem. Any longer and I was probably going to have to plug into shore power again for awhile. The monthly drive to Cracker Barrel and starting it every two weeks is a lot easier than changing batteries and for me more fun than a trickle charger.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:44 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Have you checked the water levels yet?
Old 05-10-2019, 10:14 PM   #4

THOR #4986
Thanks Wonderdog. The reason I’m thinking dead battery is I keep it plugged in from the garage (house power) and switch in “use” all the time. I water the batts every two weeks and run the genny then too. I don’t think their taking a charge at this point.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:18 PM   #5

THOR #4986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Have you checked the water levels yet?

Yea Bob, I check and water them every two weeks. Maybe after watering them today and being plugged in for awhile might make a difference. We’ll see. Thanks
Old 05-10-2019, 10:41 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:40 AM   #7

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
If it doesn't seem to have improved the next time you try too start it, you might consider measuring the Battery voltage with and without the shore power connected. If the voltage level is not at least 13 volts when shore power is connected you might have to use an auto battery charger to charge the batteries. After they are charged up then the shore power converter can be used to maintain the charge.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:18 AM   #8

THOR #4986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford1 View Post
If it doesn't seem to have improved the next time you try too start it, you might consider measuring the Battery voltage with and without the shore power connected. If the voltage level is not at least 13 volts when shore power is connected you might have to use an auto battery charger to charge the batteries. After they are charged up then the shore power converter can be used to maintain the charge.

Thanks Ford1, I’ll give that a shot in the morning. It’ll be plugged in all night so might have enough juice by then to crank.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:11 AM   #9

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
I realize that what I suggest may sound a little odd, but some of the Battery Control centers have a relay that will de-energize if the battery voltage drops below 9-10 volts when they are not being kept charged by the converter or chassis alternator. When it de-energizes neither shore power not generator power will be able to charge the batteries. Once the batteries recover to over 11 volts, the relay will re-energize and permit the converter to supply charge voltage to the batteries, hence shore power and generator operation will permit continued charging.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:02 AM   #10

THOR #4986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford1 View Post
I realize that what I suggest may sound a little odd, but some of the Battery Control centers have a relay that will de-energize if the battery voltage drops below 9-10 volts when they are not being kept charged by the converter or chassis alternator. When it de-energizes neither shore power not generator power will be able to charge the batteries. Once the batteries recover to over 11 volts, the relay will re-energize and permit the converter to supply charge voltage to the batteries, hence shore power and generator operation will permit continued charging.

Not odd at all. I’m not very electrical system savvy so getting it broken down as you did is very helpful in understanding the system better. Thanks again for your time and info.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:37 AM   #11

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
You can start the Ford engine and it will usually give the house batteries enough boost to start the generator, then take it of for a long drive (or I guess you can park it running) and it will help charge the house batteries via converter plus the switch should remain on. But you will need the Chassis battery to keep the switch turned on for the first 30 min or so (by leaving the engine on of coarse).

I had to do this once when my OEM batteries (that I always checked the water level and never drained past 50%) took a crapper about a year ago.

Watch them closely, I had to replace my OEM batteries the next week... would not hold a charge for even 15 minutes after being plugged in for a week. I Put multi meter on and it would go from like 13.2 to 9.2 quick.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:02 AM   #12

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
My batteries have been in use since August 2016 so I consider them ready to go at any time after reading so many battery problems on the forum. When we go to the Smokey Mountains in the fall and camp in the park I start the engine before starting the generator in the morning after running the furnace all night.
Paranoia surrounds the operation of the slide motors also. When going through the pdi a motor failed and the CW rep kept trying to make it work back and forth. Naturally it was crooked and jammed. It was immediately replaced and we continued but if I don't have shore power the engine is started before operating the slide or starting the generator. It might not be necessary but it makes me feel better.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #13

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
Yeah the OEM batteries are pretty weak even if they do work well. With my replacment AGM 6volts I can operate the slide, awning or anything else many time and its just as fast as when im plugged into shore power.

Plenty of Juice.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote