Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2018, 12:00 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Virginia
THOR #9237
Outdoorsy Anyone?

Outdoorsy is a rental site that allows you to rent your RV to others. You set the price and the 20% fee they charge includes full insurance in case of damages. According to their site, during the rental, their insurance covers all damages from the renter.

I totally understand some owners never want someone to drive, use, and sleep in their RV. For those curious, I have done some research. Here are some ballpark figures:

- Axis/Vegas, financing $50k for 12 years
- Charging $150-$175 per night minus 20% Outdoorsy fee
- Conservatively 60 nights per year of rental income = $8,000 / year
- Adding monthly payment ($500) + personal insurance ($100)+ storage fees ($100) = $8,400 / year. I roughly come out even at the end of the year.

Obviously these numbers are for my personal situation but this could mean I can pay off the rv quickly. I would not depend on the rental income to pay for the rv but could use the money to pay off the loan quicker.

Any thoughts?

Old 04-06-2018, 12:08 AM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860

It's probably just me...
But it kind of sounds like letting a stranger wear my favorite jacket on the weekends...
But if you like it:
Old 04-06-2018, 01:48 AM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
RVShare is a similar service. Most of us would NEVER consider turning the keys over to a stranger waving cash. But this apparently works for a few. It's not unlike renting a room in your house via airbnb. Most of us wouldn't do that, either.

Your budget didn't allow for additional wear and tear from having others use your rig. (Beyond damage.) Your insurance rate is based on personal use. Anybody know what happens to that when you rent it out?

The most key factor in this equation, can you get it rented out 60 nights in a year?
Old 04-06-2018, 03:40 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The funny thing here is that I'm currently on vacation staying in an AirBnb (people renting out their homes--we are in the "in laws" apartment on the bottom floor), and I rented a car using Turo (a similar service that let's people rent their personal cars out).

(This was an experiment as we have never used either before--so far I think I'd use AirBnb again, not so sure about Turo however.)

As for us: I wouldn't rent out any: house, car or RV.

The thing not listed in your cost calculation is maintenance: people using your RV for 60 additional days a year will incur that much more wear and tear and there will be both!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:50 AM   #5

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
In my case owning a 5er I'd have do the towing!
Or the guy with his F150 2.7 EcoBoost shows up & says "I'm here to rent your 5th wheel"!!
Or renting your motorhome & have NEVER driven anything bigger than their Prius!!
Think I'll have to pass!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:30 AM   #6

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
With our coach.... Sorry..... I really do not want to spend another low 7 digits worth of savings to replace with a new one.....
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:04 PM   #7

State: Virginia
THOR #9237
I'm thinking of Outdoorsy since I currently rent my condo on Airbnb and have had great success. I find that people want to save money and undercutting the competition gives you enough of an edge to get customers and make money. I do see the difference in renting my condo vs rv since someone is driving it and may not be familiar with how everything works.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:47 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
With our coach.... Sorry..... I really do not want to spend another low 7 digits worth of savings to replace with a new one.....
This is my fear as well...

And my Missus doesn't like sharing things!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:37 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Not an option for full timers... but an interesting alternative for most of the part-timer crowd. The insurance part is somewhat comforting. As full timers, we have full replacement insurance since it is also our home. I would think having that insurance for renting out your RV would be comforting but it is probably too soon to find someone who has rented theirs out and had to make a claim.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:35 PM   #10

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
My daughter and her family just rented a travel trailer off of RVshare for a weeks vacation beginning tomorrow. We are going with them but in our motorhome. They are wanting to buy but decided to rent to review this particular model. The owner did a thorough walkaround with my son-in-law showing him everything and answering all his questions. The unit is spotless clean (and my daughter is a neat freak) and has EVERYTHING needed except food and clothes. We'll see.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:28 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I hope that it turns out to be a very positive experience for them!
(Please let us know...)
Old 07-26-2018, 11:10 PM   #12

State: Texas
THOR #3855
I considered this as well as we don't use ours enough... and its for sale right now... so as a way to justify keeping it for when we want to use it etc.

I did have some interest.. but the timing didn't work out. I still would consider if we took it off the market. It sounds like lots of work and I am still worried about something going wrong with the coach. Little things seem to always be happening.. leveling is not easy, my auto level never works right.. I finally learned how to manually level and that is great. One time our slide didn't go out.. just scared something would go wrong.

If you do it, keep me posted on your experience. Thanks, KIM
Old 07-27-2018, 01:32 AM   #13

Model: vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #12326
I might do it if it was just a trailer but not a motorhome. What is the first thing we all do when renting a car?...…… Lets see what she's got!!!
Old 07-27-2018, 03:23 AM   #14

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Just the thought of allowing someone who has little to no experience driving a 38 foot motorhome is enough to keep me from doing something like this. One of the main questions I get asked when I tell folks my wife and I travel in a 38 foot motorhome is "what's it like driving something that big and do you need a special license?". Considering that these gas coaches handle like crap and all the white knuckle driving it puts you through, I can't imagine someone without experience driving these things. You have to own one for awhile to get used to it's driveability and experience getting past the intimidation when you first start off on a trip. I won't even let my own sons drive my coach.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:45 AM   #15

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I would have to build one especially for that purpose...basic and bulletproof everything. I've always said (regarding everything mechanical)...if the person driving it isn't the one paying for it...they will destroy it! If I needed money that bad I would invest in rental property or something else. Eggshell campers are not for the masses. You would have to own at least 15 units to make it profitable...just like rental homes.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:52 AM   #16

Model: vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #12326
I think the Luv 2 Camp rental company has the best plan. I know for Glamis and the river, they have local set ups to where you rent the trailer from them and tell them what time and where to drop off and set up the trailer. They bring it full of water and with a generator, show you the basics and that's it. Not too much for a renter to screw up. I have a friend that always rents a motorhome from el monte rentals. Drives it like a rocket ship up and down hills engine and brakes just screaming. I always think of Robin Williams in the movie RV when we camp together.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:19 PM   #17

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
As I said...he ain't making the payments...he's getting his money's worth!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 12:49 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree...
Old 07-27-2018, 03:18 PM   #19

State: Texas
THOR #3855
yes! This is my concern as well!! plus all the other gadgets that I still have trouble with since I don't use mine all the time, its like learning every time.....
Old 07-27-2018, 03:24 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
They say that the memory is the second thing to go...

And I've forgotten what the first one was!