Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2017, 05:30 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Michigan
THOR #6694
Outlaw 29H??

Hi,

I am looking for some advice. We are looking for an rv to purchase within the next 2 years. Unfortunately, we have different ideas about traveling. We both agree that we will be traveling full time for 2 years at least in the USA and Canada.

Question 1: How difficult is it for finding a place to park in state and national parks if your rv is 24 feet or 30 feet? I am sure the small is easier, but is a 30 foot still considered small in the rv parking world?

Question 2: He wants to tow a car, I don't. How difficult is it to get around with just the RV? Shopping, night out, etc.

Question 3: We have two dogs 110 and 125 pounds with lots, really lots of hair that sheds over a 2-3 month period. Anyone with experience with this issue?

Thus, due to the dog hair, needing one very large dog crate, mud, etc. I really like the thor outlaw 29h. I could remove one sofa, attach a crate, have slobbery water bowls and food in the back. It would also give a place for the dogs to be outside on the patio if it is raining, etc. But I am reluctant to own something that large esp if a car is being towed.

Insight is appreciated.

S

Old 03-06-2017, 07:06 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Your first two questions are kind of related to each other:
A smaller RV will be positive for both: Easier to find campsites for, and easier to drive around for general stuff.
You have to gauge how often you plan on driving around, and how often you'll be sitting in the campsite? How many times will you plug/unplug the camper before that becomes a hassle? Will you be staying at any one location for only a day or so before moving on or will you be parked for more?
If you plan to move a lot a smaller RV would make it easier and you wouldn't have to take a car.
However your other needs may dictate a larger unit (like the Outlaw that you seem to be leaning towards). Finding camp sites for a 30' Outlaw isn't that difficult, even in state parks.

What are your objections to towing a car? If you get something relatively inexpensive that can be flat towed you'll find it pretty easy.

If you want to see an example of someone travelling the country with just the RV (and a dog): 48 in 366 | 48 States, 42 National Parks and All the Backroads In Between
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:59 PM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
No right or wrong answers - just personal preference... or trade-offs

Jamie had some good points - if moving regularly - can certainly tie shopping into 'moving days'. Personally I wouldn't be inclined to want to disconnect for a 'night out' - and those 'I forgot one thing at the store' trips would be inconvenient.. but occasional car rentals could be used vs towing if staying someplace for a longer period...
I don't view towing as an issue - for any longer trips we bring along our Wrangler (flat tow) behind a 33 foot Hurricane. Properly set up it tows great - and the convenience (like tonight when DW decided she doesn't want to cook - so going for take out) is nice.

Smaller is easier for getting around... But 2 years with 2 people and 2 large dogs in a small RV can be tight.
For Gas Class A's - I would consider 24-26 to be small... 29-35 medium... 38+ large... Over 40 is more often a diesel.

At 33 feet - I can fit in a double row parking spot when shopping - try to do it in open area as I need a little 'swinging' room getting out... (The Class A's really have a smaller turning circle than you might think.

When towing, I need to park 'across spots' usually in back row. The one thing to remember is you essentially eliminate reverse when towing 'four down' or with dolly (2 up/2 down). So a little thought on 'exit strategy' when entering helps out.

Can't help as much with the dog hair - our 4 lb Yorkie doesn't shed.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:45 AM   #4

Model: Outlaw 29h
State: Texas
THOR #6746
I just purchased a 2014 29h. I'm full timing with 2 large dogs (dobermans) & they were the main reason for purchasing the outlaw. I put crates in the garage area for traveling, feeding ect. I'm new to rving & the length has not presented a problem yet. Don't tow anything so can't help there. Good luck with your search.