Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2022, 12:03 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #3923
Outside locks are terrible...any suggestions?

I have a hell of a time getting the key in locks on the outside compartments. One would think they would have used better locks where the key just slides in.

Any suggestions other than WD-40, which doesn't seem to do anything.

Old 10-29-2022, 01:17 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
WD 40 is great for some applications.probably not the best for this. Suggest you try a good lock lube or silicone product. Then come back and tell us how it worked.
Old 10-29-2022, 02:10 AM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusplainwacky View Post
I have a hell of a time getting the key in locks on the outside compartments. One would think they would have used better locks where the key just slides in.

Any suggestions other than WD-40, which doesn't seem to do anything.
This works great

Prime-Line MP66780 Graphite Lubricant Powder, 6.5 Gram, Prevents Sticking and Wearing, (single pack) https://a.co/d/feiIBsa
Old 10-29-2022, 12:03 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Use the same dry powder graphite. Works great. Doesn’t gum stuff up. However, you may find that water intrusion is causing the cylinder to rust causing it to be hard to turn.
Old 10-29-2022, 12:24 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #17235
I use wd40 in my basement door locks 2-3 times per year and they all work smoothly and the key slides in easily. At first they were just like yours after one year, very difficult to get the key in. Get a stool, get your key, sit down by the lock, get comfortable. Push the red straw through the little spring door directly into the lock. Give it one small shot then start sliding the key in and out a few times. Give it another shot, slide key in and out repeatedly. Keep doing that until the key slides in and out smoothly and easily. Now spray wd40 around the lock cylinder, inside the door and outside the door then turn the cylinder with the key repeatedly until it works smoothly too. Now wipe off all excess lube. If you have an air compressor you can blow directly into the lock to get more excess lube out. Once the entire lock mechanism works smoothly you will only need to re-lube 1-2 per year.
“WD” stands for “water displacement” it will help keep water out of the locks, but only for a while. I have tried the dry lube and never had good luck with it on locks exposed to the elements.
Yes, WD-40 residue will attract some dirt but the locks will work smoothly so I just wipe off the dirt.
Old 10-29-2022, 01:41 PM   #6

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibeman View Post
I use wd40 in my basement door locks 2-3 times per year and they all work smoothly and the key slides in easily. At first they were just like yours after one year, very difficult to get the key in. Get a stool, get your key, sit down by the lock, get comfortable. Push the red straw through the little spring door directly into the lock. Give it one small shot then start sliding the key in and out a few times. Give it another shot, slide key in and out repeatedly. Keep doing that until the key slides in and out smoothly and easily. Now spray wd40 around the lock cylinder, inside the door and outside the door then turn the cylinder with the key repeatedly until it works smoothly too. Now wipe off all excess lube. If you have an air compressor you can blow directly into the lock to get more excess lube out. Once the entire lock mechanism works smoothly you will only need to re-lube 1-2 per year.
“WD” stands for “water displacement” it will help keep water out of the locks, but only for a while. I have tried the dry lube and never had good luck with it on locks exposed to the elements.
Yes, WD-40 residue will attract some dirt but the locks will work smoothly so I just wipe off the dirt.
As a matter of experience, however you lube locks, that stool is the most important piece! I have commandeered my wife’s gardening stool so many times it is now housed in my shop!
Old 10-29-2022, 03:21 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I oil all locks storage and door with leftover synthetic motor oil once a year. I include inside of compartment locks.
Old 10-30-2022, 03:42 AM   #8

THOR #3923
The problem I'm having it getting the key in the lock. There is a small cover on the lock that the key has to get past first..that is the problem.
Old 10-30-2022, 09:44 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #17235
If your locks are really bad you can take them right out of the door panel and submerge them in WD40 or any penetrating oil overnight. Then go to work with your key.
Old 10-30-2022, 09:41 PM   #10

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibeman View Post
If your locks are really bad you can take them right out of the door panel and submerge them in WD40 or any penetrating oil overnight. Then go to work with your key.
I don't think people are understanding what I'm referring to. I cannot get the key into the lock. So I can soak it, put WD-40, graphite in the lock and it's not going to anything.

As I mentioned, the lock as a small "door" over the hole..the problem is getting the key to push the door out of the way to get the key in the lock.
Old 10-30-2022, 10:26 PM   #11

Model: Daybreak 30DB
State: Tennessee
THOR #22917
Quote:
I don't think people are understanding what I'm referring to. I cannot get the key into the lock. So I can soak it, put WD-40, graphite in the lock and it's not going to anything.

As I mentioned, the lock as a small "door" over the hole..the problem is getting the key to push the door out of the way to get the key in the lock.
That's what they are saying, take the lock off the door (you might have to work with it to get into it) then once the door is open, take the whole lock off the door (it's just a simple cylinder nut on the back) and soak the whole thing in some sort of oil.

I have the same problems and WD40 then quite often but never have sprayed directly into the lock. I'll give that a try soon.
Old 10-30-2022, 10:58 PM   #12

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
THOR #17449
look at updating the locks to one key. RVLOCK.COM. Nicer lock than the standard used on most
Old 10-30-2022, 11:14 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:

I has this issue. Something in my storage area had hold of the lock! Let moving lock up and down and got it one key broke.
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 11:40 PM   #14
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
I has this issue. Something in my storage area had hold of the lock! Let moving lock up and down and got it one key broke.
Not his issue. See the door on the attached cylinder picture? It won't move out of the way to let the key inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lock.png
Views:	28
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	39968  
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 01:39 PM   #15

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Not his issue. See the door on the attached cylinder picture? It won't move out of the way to let the key inside.
Thanks Ted for clearly explaining the issue.

I was thinking maybe I should file the sides of the key so it's thinner. Or change the locks as suggested. I think all the keys should have been the same instead of having two different types.
Old 10-31-2022, 04:19 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I understood, the little metal door can get really stuck between corrosion, grit and mud dobbers here. I had to replace 1 that was impossible. As stated earlier, all get a couple drops of synthetic motor oil once a year and not been issue since.
Old 10-31-2022, 06:02 PM   #17

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
I'd start working on the keyhole 'door' with a small screwdriver and your penetrating lubricant of choice. It should free up with some work.
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 05:28 AM   #18

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by widdershins View Post
I'd start working on the keyhole 'door' with a small screwdriver and your penetrating lubricant of choice. It should free up with some work.
I just got back from a trip and I'll give this a try, but I think this is more of a design flaw as most of my compartments are difficult to get the key in the lock.
Old 11-02-2022, 07:55 PM   #19

Model: VEGAS 27.7
THOR #14226
Not a design flaw. We all have the same issue.
Please try the suggestions give. I ordered all new locks for my compartments.
They started do the same thing after a short time. You must follow the directions as given. We have all been there. You cannot reinvent the lock so that it does not require the solutions given my all before my message.
Old 11-02-2022, 08:31 PM   #20

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
THOR #17449
Thumbs up

Just saying I had the same issues stuck key hard to turn just crappy OEM locks. Came across RVLOCK.COM and ended up changing out the locks and now only have the one key for the house door and outside locks .