Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2021, 04:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Palazzo 33.2, 33.5 or 33.6 impressions

In anticipation of the flood of slightly used coaches that will hit the market in the next 12-18 months, I have started researching our next rig. I figured this would be a good time to jump from our current gas coach, a hurricane 29m, to a diesel pusher. After some searching and price considerations, I settled in on the Palazzo line, specifically the 33. Does anyone have any impressions that they could share on the Palazzo model line or the 33 trim? Any info would be helpful.

Old 01-19-2021, 05:38 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
2014 33.3 with over 110,000 miles across this great country, Alaska, and most all Canadian provinces, including Prince Edward Island...
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 05:57 PM   #3

THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
2014 33.3 with over 110,000 miles across this great country, Alaska, and most all Canadian provinces, including Prince Edward Island...
How do you like the 300hp motor? How's the milage? One of the things that worries me most is going from a 360hp v10 to a 300hp i6. I get it has tons more torque so it might even out.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:02 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
When we were looking we did not consider the Palazzo based on research IMHO it is underpowered for a Diesel Pusher (300 or 340 HP) cannot be tuned up to 360 HP (Allison Trans limitation) and has no towing capacity to speak of (4K only) due to the drive train (Allison 2100 or 2500 trans limitation). Some of the larger floorpans only have a towing capacity of approx 3,000 lbs.

Here is a thread that I started regarding the Palazzo.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...cwr-21419.html

I will say that the issue is not limited to Thor. All of the smaller DPs such as the Forza, the Pace Arrow, the Legacy and others.

Bottom line, think long and hard about this or any other small, entry level Diesel Pusher.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:16 AM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
In anticipation of the flood of slightly used coaches that will hit the market in the next 12-18 months, I have started researching our next rig. I figured this would be a good time to jump from our current gas coach, a hurricane 29m, to a diesel pusher. After some searching and price considerations, I settled in on the Palazzo line, specifically the 33. Does anyone have any impressions that they could share on the Palazzo model line or the 33 trim? Any info would be helpful.
If you're looking for something that size: you might want to look at Tiffin's Allegro Breeze...
Old 01-20-2021, 12:10 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I think 110,000 miles across this country, Alaska, and Canada, all while towing, paints a perfect picture - don't believe the 'misconceptions' that hp has any big deal when it comes to these compact diesels, as they don't also weigh near as much as the bigger units - 12+ mpg doesn't hurt, either... try that with the bigger units, or a gasser.

believe me, I've TRANSPORTED myself big rigs of ALL sizes and makes, whether Thor, Newmar, Fleetwood, or Forest River - these compact diesels are the ONLY ones with anything CLOSE to that kind of mpg average... whether diesel OR gas. I've also made it UP every single mountain pass I've ever encountered - including the Independence Pass in Colorado, the Colorado National Monument, the Rockies, the beach cliffs along the Big One in California, and the mountains of western North Carolina and east Tennessee.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:58 PM   #7

State: Ontario
THOR #21345
Quote:
believe me, I've TRANSPORTED myself big rigs of ALL sizes and makes, whether Thor, Newmar, Fleetwood, or Forest River - these compact diesels are the ONLY ones with anything CLOSE to that kind of mpg average... whether diesel OR gas.....
12+ mpg ! That's quite good for a DP of this size, weight, engine.

Since you've had experience across these various manufacturers, can you share some impressions on these rigs ? Handling, solidity, quietness, build quality etc...Most of us would never have a chance to drive this many rigs.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:14 PM   #8

THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
If you're looking for something that size: you might want to look at Tiffin's Allegro Breeze...
This was actually my first choice but we decided no due to children and price. We are leaning more towards the 33.5 bunk house model.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:16 PM   #9

THOR #19102
Quote:
I think 110,000 miles across this country, Alaska, and Canada, all while towing, paints a perfect picture - don't believe the 'misconceptions' that hp has any big deal when it comes to these compact diesels, as they don't also weigh near as much as the bigger units - 12+ mpg doesn't hurt, either... try that with the bigger units, or a gasser.

believe me, I've TRANSPORTED myself big rigs of ALL sizes and makes, whether Thor, Newmar, Fleetwood, or Forest River - these compact diesels are the ONLY ones with anything CLOSE to that kind of mpg average... whether diesel OR gas. I've also made it UP every single mountain pass I've ever encountered - including the Independence Pass in Colorado, the Colorado National Monument, the Rockies, the beach cliffs along the Big One in California, and the mountains of western North Carolina and east Tennessee.
Thanks for that input. How has the build quality been? Any major issues?
Old 01-20-2021, 04:23 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
This was actually my first choice but we decided no due to children and price. We are leaning more towards the 33.5 bunk house model.
Yup: that's the one floorplan that Tiffin doesn't seem able to fit into their more "compact" RVs...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:02 PM   #11

Model: Palazzo
State: Maryland
THOR #20301
We have a 2020 33.5 and though we have only 5 K on it, lived in it for 2 months the past summer while we were camp hosts. We wanted the bunkhouse for the additional storage that we get from the bunkbeds. There is just my wife and I and 2 small dogs.

We tow a jeep cherokee and will spend the summer at Custer SP.

Things I like are the ample storage, lights in every bay, side opening bay doors, and the floorplan with a mid entry door. Wife wanted the washer & dryer. The 2020 has a single 100w solar panel, and induction cooktop.

We have been making mods, and added storage in the DEF compartment for sewer hoses, added a handrail in the stairwell, and redid the driver side blinds to allow the cabinet beside the bed to open fully. ( 2021 model altered design to permit the cabinet to open.) Added an extend a stay to facilitate an external propane tank as well.

There is underutilized storage under the rear dinette seat and under the bed that I will work on later. We are considering replacing the couch with recliners.

We are going to Walkerusa to have a few item corrected under warranty. I want them fixed properly, and an issue I have found is finding a reputable dealer willing to do warranty work on coaches they didnt sell. To me that is the biggest issue I have had.

Coach is well designed, and is meeting our needs.

The only thing remaining I do not like is the Axxerra radio and it will be replaced with one that has android auto/ apple carplay.

I havent taken this through the mountains yet but the jeep is not that heavy.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:46 PM   #12

Model: Palazzo #33.2
State: Arizona
THOR #5149
2014 Palazzo #33.2 works a treat!

I have a 2014 Thor Palazzo #33.2, and it's great. 40k near trouble-free miles. The Cummins/Allison kit is rock-solid. The only problem I had was the large slide room. No dealer could fix it, and I had to take to the factory in Wakarusa, IN. They sorted, and it's been fine ever since. The older units (like mine) have a "two rail" system, and newer model years have a "three rail" system. The three-rail systems are much better. If you are a member of Facebook, there is a good group to join to see what others think of the Palazzo's, and track their questions/issues. Do a search for a group called "Palazzo RV". You can also check the "Files" area for repair and modification items.
Old 01-31-2021, 01:17 AM   #13

State: Alaska
THOR #20592
2014 33.2 Pallazzo main slide is a nighmare

Bought it 8 months ago and 12k miles later nothing but problems with the big slide. After 3 trips to the shop and $5000. Later, replaced the whole slide rail assembly. Will See how long this lasts??? Numerous other problems. Can't say much for the workmanship and quality of the material. Removed the overhead bunk because of slide problem also. Seems that when the installed the rail cables, they failed to remove a 2 cent piece of tape to guide it that jammed into the pulley, bent the attachment bracket and pulled the motor assembly away from the rail. Lots more room up front without the bunk. Engine and Trans. Seem to be holding up.

Sorry. Just telling like it is, and have owned RVs for 20+ years.
Old 01-31-2021, 01:23 AM   #14

THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher View Post
We have a 2020 33.5 and though we have only 5 K on it, lived in it for 2 months the past summer while we were camp hosts. We wanted the bunkhouse for the additional storage that we get from the bunkbeds. There is just my wife and I and 2 small dogs.

We tow a jeep cherokee and will spend the summer at Custer SP.

Things I like are the ample storage, lights in every bay, side opening bay doors, and the floorplan with a mid entry door. Wife wanted the washer & dryer. The 2020 has a single 100w solar panel, and induction cooktop.

We have been making mods, and added storage in the DEF compartment for sewer hoses, added a handrail in the stairwell, and redid the driver side blinds to allow the cabinet beside the bed to open fully. ( 2021 model altered design to permit the cabinet to open.) Added an extend a stay to facilitate an external propane tank as well.

There is underutilized storage under the rear dinette seat and under the bed that I will work on later. We are considering replacing the couch with recliners.

We are going to Walkerusa to have a few item corrected under warranty. I want them fixed properly, and an issue I have found is finding a reputable dealer willing to do warranty work on coaches they didnt sell. To me that is the biggest issue I have had.

Coach is well designed, and is meeting our needs.

The only thing remaining I do not like is the Axxerra radio and it will be replaced with one that has android auto/ apple carplay.

I havent taken this through the mountains yet but the jeep is not that heavy.
Thanks for the info. What stuff are you having to repair under warranty?
Old 01-31-2021, 01:26 AM   #15

THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpuckett View Post
I have a 2014 Thor Palazzo #33.2, and it's great. 40k near trouble-free miles. The Cummins/Allison kit is rock-solid. The only problem I had was the large slide room. No dealer could fix it, and I had to take to the factory in Wakarusa, IN. They sorted, and it's been fine ever since. The older units (like mine) have a "two rail" system, and newer model years have a "three rail" system. The three-rail systems are much better. If you are a member of Facebook, there is a good group to join to see what others think of the Palazzo's, and track their questions/issues. Do a search for a group called "Palazzo RV". You can also check the "Files" area for repair and modification items.
Yeah, Thor recognized this problem and moved to the three rail system. Its what is on our 29m. Hope it holds up. I will check out the Facebook group, thanks.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:02 AM   #16

THOR #20592
Mileage

Quote:
How do you like the 300hp motor? How's the milage? One of the things that worries me most is going from a 360hp v10 to a 300hp i6. I get it has tons more torque so it might even out.
I've put 12K on my Palazzo in 8 months. 28K total miles. Getting 10MPG on the hwy on 300HP D engine. Seems to have enough HP.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:34 AM   #17

THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parne View Post
I've put 12K on my Palazzo in 8 months. 28K total miles. Getting 10MPG on the hwy on 300HP D engine. Seems to have enough HP.
Thanks for the info. Are you towing anything?
Old 01-31-2021, 04:46 AM   #18

THOR #20592
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Are you towing anything?
No towing.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:30 PM   #19

State: Arkansas
THOR #11556
RE: Thor 33.3

We have a 2015 33.2

We had to have all the upholstery replaced. It was still under the warranty but they gave us only $150. And it cost a lot more than that to get it re done.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:03 AM   #20

Model: Aria 3601
State: Florida
THOR #20848
We drove 2 hours to look at a 2020 Palazzo 33.6, and opted out after the dealer said “the price you see is the price you pay” and refused to budge. Rolled 45 minutes down the road to the same name dealer, and got a cream puff 2019 Aria 3601 for 2k less than the Palazzo. Used price, but coach was 1 owner, only had 4300 miles and the remainder of the factory warranty (9 months). Glad we did, as the Aria has a floor plan that fits us better than the Palazzo, and the dealership gives additional perks to buyers of “luxury” MH’s.