Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2017, 05:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #4986
Question Pass Port America Yea/Nay

Thinking about signing on with PPA. Thought I might ask the seasoned travelers about the good, bad, ugly first. Thanks and stay safe.

Jerry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:12 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
I signed up with them and have never used them or received a discount over the last 8 months of full time travel.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:29 PM   #3

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
We joined PPA about 3 years ago and have signed on each year since. We travel a great deal, often staying on military installations. However, there are some stops we make with family and friends where military installations are not convenient. In these locations, we look first for PPA. Our experience has been good but you must pay attention. As with any park; we lay out the route, look for places to stay, look at PPA, look at RV Park Reviews then decide. Part of the issue with PPA are limitations on availability. You can find that on their website under the Notes section (Passport America Campgrounds). We have always more than paid for the annual fee.

One further note, some of the parks are what we'd call "sketchy". Thus checking on reviews on RV Park Reviews.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:58 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
We had PPA and never used them. We always got better discounts through Good Sam and FMCA.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:08 PM   #5

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Nah.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:50 PM   #6

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
We found there were too many times the discount didn't apply, weekends, holidays, second Tuesday of the month, it was always something. So we didn't renew for a second year, but we have friends that have had great luck with it, so you may have to try it & decide for yourself.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:09 AM   #7

THOR #6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry B. View Post
Thinking about signing on with PPA. Thought I might ask the seasoned travelers about the good, bad, ugly first. Thanks and stay safe.
I vote no. I joined Escapees and found many of the 50% deals also apply to them plus much more.. Plus $10 annual discount for vets with Escapees, some members-only coop parks, Rally's, etc.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:56 AM   #8

Model: Palazzo
THOR #7569
PPA for 3 years

We have been members for 3 years. Haven't been able to get the discount very often, but the few times we have, it has more than paid for the membership.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:27 AM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
We had PPA and never used them. We always got better discounts through Good Sam and FMCA.
Really? Good Sam 5 or 10% vs 50%? We have been PPA members since 2004 and last time we renewed for 3 years. We always save more than we spent on the membership.

Just got to do your homework. Here in Florida PPA is rarely available in winter (snowbird season) but I have had parks that we frequent when it is available make an exception for us and honor PPA during the "closed" season.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:06 AM   #10

Model: Freedom Elite 30 FE
THOR #6012
Ppa

My wife and I recently completed a 8400 mile trip to the pacific northwest on our Goldwing Trike. We used our PPA card to get into all national parks at no cost. Without the card, we would have been charge $10.00 entrance fee each time. We only paid $10.00 for our card and was well worth the cost. I am told that PPA card will cost up to $80.00 in the near future.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:26 AM   #11

THOR #6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogday51 View Post
My wife and I recently completed a 8400 mile trip to the pacific northwest on our Goldwing Trike. We used our PPA card to get into all national parks at no cost. Without the card, we would have been charge $10.00 entrance fee each time. We only paid $10.00 for our card and was well worth the cost. I am told that PPA card will cost up to $80.00 in the near future.
Passport America card at a national park?
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:36 AM   #12

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Colorado
THOR #6613
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogday51 View Post
Did you buy the seniors pass to the national parks for $10? The regular one is $80. This is an entirely different thing than Passport America though- which gets you (possible) discounts to campgrounds not national park admission.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:57 PM   #13

Model: Freedom Elite 30 FE
THOR #6012
It is the senior pass not PPA. My mistake but still a great deal.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:17 PM   #14

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
When we were full time and traveling we always joined Passport America. Generally in the first month we would save more than our membership. The last couple of years being part time we haven't joined and instead only relied on GS's discounts, which aren't much.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:17 PM   #15

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
We don't travel as much as we used to. But still carry PPA card. Card pays for itself and then some every year.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:55 PM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
Model: VanLeigh Vilano 365RL
THOR #1907
Passport America is something we use quite often. We just left a weekend trip staying at a participating campground. It pays for itself first use of the season.
Planning our trip out west around participating campgrounds. When we can't use Passport America, we use our Good Sam.
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:40 PM   #17

THOR #1249
We have been PPA members since 2002 and use it quite a bit when available. Some years back they ran a special for life membership and we got that. It has more than paid for itself. The downside is, like others mentioned, some campgrounds have restrictions such as only valid Sun thru Thurs. or in south FL during the winter months. Other times, we look for COE, NP & SP campgrounds which are a good deal usually.
You will get your cost of membership back in a few nights a half price and that looks like a good ROI to me.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:40 PM   #18

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
We use PPA often as here in Ohio most state parks honor PPA Sun. thru Wed. In March we traveled through the south and were able to use PPA for at least 10 nights. In New Orleans we stayed at a $79 a night resort for $39 a night for the 5 days we were there. That stay alone paid for this years dues and then some. Safe travels.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:08 AM   #19

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry B. View Post

Posts above mirror discussions I've had with RVers all over. Great for some, worthless to others. Looks like you did reports of good and bad, here's a somewhat ugly. I paid for PPA for last summer's trip, seeing a park we would be staying at for four nights. Arrived to find that the campground had cancelled with PPA, but it still showed in the directory, both paper and online.

For the rest of a 5500 mile trip, there were no PPA parks that weren't excluded near the places we stopped. So, it was a waste for us.

Looking forward to our planned travels, we might see significant savings, so we renewed. Suggest you compare your plans to the offerings on the PPA website, and the exclusions at the places you might stay. If it seems you might save enough to cover the membership, give it a go!
Old 09-27-2017, 01:18 AM   #20

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Planning a Nov - Jan trip west and spending 5 nights just outside LA. Called RV Park I planned to stay at for reservations. The lady asked me if I was a member of Goid Sam, Passports America, or AS A. When I told her I was a Good Sam and PPA member, she suggested for max savings to use PPA for first three nights and Good Sam for the other two. Ended up saving enough to pay my PAP membership. As several have mentioned, do your research and decide what is best for your particular travel plans and lications.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote