Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2019, 02:11 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 26B
State: Virginia
THOR #9566
I would also check out all walls and floors for rips, tears, marks, etc... Once you sign the papers, Thor will say it is a dealer issue or your issue, but definitely not theirs. This goes for the outside as well.

dave

Old 02-17-2019, 01:55 AM   #22

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Okay you have the list.....
NO MATTER HOW ANXIOUS YOU ARE OR WHAT THEY TELL YOU DO NOT ACCEPT DELIVERY UNTIL EVERYTHING IS FIXED TO YOUR SATISFACTION! If you do you just reduced the chances of getting it fixed by about 50% and I don’t care how reputable the dealer is.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:01 AM   #23

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon70 View Post
Okay you have the list.....
NO MATTER HOW ANXIOUS YOU ARE OR WHAT THEY TELL YOU DO NOT ACCEPT DELIVERY UNTIL EVERYTHING IS FIXED TO YOUR SATISFACTION! If you do you just reduced the chances of getting it fixed by about 50% and I don’t care how reputable the dealer is.
Very true.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:26 AM   #24

Model: Tuscany xte 40 ax
State: Illinois
THOR #14029
Just purchased a 2017 Thor Tuscany xte 41ax 175,000.00. Been going thru it with a find tooth comb and have found a lot of repairs that only a trained eye would see. Have them open the areas that the consumer can't see and you will be amazed at what stuff you will find and see. I found leaking pipes from sewage and water lines, but this is nothing I can't fix being a problem solver. The infrastructure is there but the the installation of the components wasn't. I love this motor coach and will do my own work to get it to the glory that it deserves.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:21 AM   #25

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Minnesota
THOR #14057
We brought it home on 2/15

Thank you all for the comments. Our inspection went well. The MH is home now parked and waiting for warmer weather (April in MN at the earliest) for excursions to infinity and beyond ��

Thanks
JJ
FMCA F496287
JJMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:26 AM   #26

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Dynamax REV 24 RB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3069
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMON View Post
Thank you all for the comments. Our inspection went well. The MH is home now parked and waiting for warmer weather (April in MN at the earliest) for excursions to infinity and beyond ��

Thanks
JJ

Congratulations and please let us know how it works out.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:11 AM   #27

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’m more in brandy’s camp on this one. By all means do the PDI and if parts need to be replaced have the dealer order them before you sign. But I’m not much inclined to let some inexperienced unskilled and hurried “tech” work on my coach. I’d rather bring it home and fix it myself. I’ll learn a LOT about the machine and I’ll know it’s fixed right.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:09 AM   #28

Model: Venetian M37
State: Texas
THOR #10920
After all this would go out for a test run for a few days at a couple of nearby camp sites. Sit up and take down a couple times. Us propane hot water heater as well as the electric. Would be good to drive in the rain and camp in the rain..... make certain slide outs don’t leak, both open and closed. Bay doors as well when running down road in the rain. Another way to check in turn on interior bay lights and crawl under coach.... make certain you don’t see any light coming thru. If you do don’t sign until fixed. If you have hydraulic slides, make certain there are no leaks around the fittings/connections. Good luck. When it all gets worked out you will have fun
Old 02-17-2019, 12:58 PM   #29

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
After all this would go out for a test run for a few days at a couple of nearby camp sites. Sit up and take down a couple times. Us propane hot water heater as well as the electric. Would be good to drive in the rain and camp in the rain..... make certain slide outs don’t leak, both open and closed. Bay doors as well when running down road in the rain. Another way to check in turn on interior bay lights and crawl under coach.... make certain you don’t see any light coming thru. If you do don’t sign until fixed. If you have hydraulic slides, make certain there are no leaks around the fittings/connections. Good luck. When it all gets worked out you will have fun

Lights in the bays would be nice!
Old 02-17-2019, 12:58 PM   #30

Model: Outlaw38RB
State: Colorado
THOR #14374
Im not the OP but we did a walk through and took delivery on ours last week. It went well. Found a few cabinets out of alignment but the big one was the Aux fuel tank (it's an Outlaw). They filled both fuel tank's for us. I showed up and gas is dripping out of the Aux tank onto the ground! They guy tells me it's just over filled. So we start the walk though and an hour later it's still dripping so I said let's get something and get some fuel out of there. He gets a tech who brings a can, fires it up and nothing is coming out. Long story short (some head scratching) the lines were installed backwards on the pump. It would have dripped fuel for days like that!
We also had them redo the exterior detail as we were not happy with it overall and all that fuel ran down it.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:28 PM   #31

State: Illinois
THOR #2402
Great work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Good advice. But it’s not always practical to test EVERYTHING. Typicality I like to explore on my own. It’s not enough to know there are no leaks (for me). I want to see the construction and routing of lines. I want to see the wiring not just know that the lights work and look at the roof sealing not just know that it hasn’t leaked yet. Stuff like that. And while you shouldn’t have to fix stuff you’ll find that most RV systems are pretty straightforward and easy to fix. And you’ll learn a LOT about your machine in the process. Also, don’t forget to have fun - even when there are things that need to be fixed.
First, you have a great list ... way to do your homework. Love all the builds of the forum folks. I agree with doing a roof walk look for any anomalies ... they only warranty sealants for like a year. Also, someone else suggested no "tickie no laundry" ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE!!!! Do not take delivery until EVERYTHING is 100%. The time and frustration you will waste on warranty work seems to be unavoidable so why not hold them hostage for quick service now vs. just being one of the gang later! Hopefully you will have a different experience but why take the risk out of the gate.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:23 AM   #32

Model: ACE 29.2
State: California
THOR #2580
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMON View Post
Our anticipated delivery of our first MH purchase looms near and we are exited and yet apprehensive being first time owners. We have rented a couple of times before and know most of the basics of operation, but now me move into the zone of ownership and all the maintenance that is inherent.

We plan on taking a video camera to record walk through and operation on key components as well as a notebook.

The list so far
Operate slide out/in
Operate awning out/in
Operate leveling system down/up
Operate generator
Operate microwave,stove, and oven
Operate all TVS and A/V equipment
Operate AC/Heating
Operate ceiling fans
Operating interior lighting
Operating electrical outlets

Backup camera and side cameras operational
Cabin AV/screen operation
Cabin HVAC and all other functions working,,,windows, mirrors etc

Rig is currently winterized so we can’t check plumbing functions that I’m awhere of.

Anything else?

Thanks
JJ

Don't for get to find out how to manually put your slide in just in case it fails.
As well the auto levelers.
Just saying the first trip we had we lost a solenoid and couldn't retract the Jack's, found out later a socket and electric drill would allow us to manually retract and be on our way.
Don't forget about manual operations
Old 02-18-2019, 11:33 AM   #33

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Read the whole thread...he done bought it. He whipped their butts and all is good!! Happy Camping!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote