Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2017, 01:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 45AT
State: North Carolina
THOR #3325
Pending New Purchase Questions

Hey all - about to sign for a new Tuscany and I have a couple of questions to ask the group:

1. Resistall? Worth it? Reading other blogs it seems like it is over priced for what it actually does

2: 5 year extended warranty? Give me great piece of mind but adding another $8,000 to the purchase price is a little steep.

As always thanks for the feedback.

Old 01-28-2017, 01:56 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
no, and no

though I don't even know what 'Resitall' is
but I do know what 'extended' warranties are : /
Old 01-28-2017, 02:17 PM   #3

Model: 2014 Siesta 24 ST
State: Louisiana
THOR #6042
I bought a 2 yr old Siesta, from a very handy retired Marine. I don't have any form of warranty and I've already made a few repairs inside, myself. Window leak onto bunk, step auto motor is broken due to sheered off bolts. Now, if something goes wrong with the engine, I'll be forced to go to the Mercedes dealer in town. Other than that, if you're semi able and have the tools, resources and excellent advice of friends and this forum.... You'll be just as good as the rest of us and keep your 8k. Good luck. P.s. I'm also a lady , teaching my daughters about maintenance as we go...If I can do it, you can too.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:48 PM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Resistall is protection for the exterior paint - and maybe interior surfaces depending on what they offer... No real experience with it to guide you here... Look at what they cover in addition to your factory warranty by using it - maybe someone else has experience with it...

For the extended service plan (its not really a warranty - not covered by warranty laws) - there are several things to consider...
While I have no issue doing my own work - the cost of parts alone for significant RV issues can be high. And while I have done engine/tranny work in the past - not sure I would want to tackle a major job on this...

You do have a one year factory warranty - and likely longer on the powertrain (not sure what the Tuscany has in it) and I would suggest using that for now and give you a chance to see what your experience is. You can likely find an after market service plan cheaper (and some will let you pay monthly rather than 8K upfront) - and you won't be financing a 5 year plan for the entire time you are paying off the entire RV (if you are financing).

I do have an aftermarket plan - I can adjust the deductible (and therefore the premiums) to reflect the level of risk I want to take...
On my last (older RV) - I carried a $1000 deductible - and intended it as 'catastrophic' protection if I had a major powertrain failure while still owing the bank... I just picked up a plan for the current one as the ford powertrain warranty expired.

One significant difference between the factory warranty and extended service plan... While under warranty, Thor will often (when asked) be willing to send you parts to install yourself... Under the service plan, the company will typically insist a mechanic (your choice) provides the analysis, estimate, and work...

No right or wrong answer - comes down to how much work you are willing/able to do - and how much risk you are willing to take.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:55 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Resistal, absolutely not, nothing but snake oil and a huge money maker for the dealer. You can do the same thing yourself with a good quality wax.

$8,000 is in my opinion high even for 5 year warranty. If you feel the need for an extended warranty I would shop around, but, READ THE FINE PRINT on what is covered and how to make a claim. A lot of warranty companies make you jump thru a lot of hoops to file a claim, by making it difficult they are betting you won't go to the trouble.

You didn't say which Tuscany you were purchasing. We owned a Tuscany for several years and loved it, had to sell due to storage problems when we moved to Dallas are.

Go luck and best wishes on your purchase!!!
Old 01-28-2017, 08:16 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Put that $8000 in an investment and let it be earning money. When ever you have what would have been a covered repair, pay for it from that fund. I would venture that 99% of the people that would do this would have money left at the end of the warranty term.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:12 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #5052
I'll assume you've negotiated the extended warranty price. Either way, $8K seems really steep. As others have mentioned, read the fine print (especially around the electronics) and ask questions before you purchase. If the dealer cannot answer your questions with confidence, call the extended warranty support line to get clarity better you sign.

I'm okay with minor break/fix stuff, but personally I like the piece of mind of having an extended warranty (at a fair cost) for repairs in years 2-5. Time will tell if it is the right decision.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:59 PM   #8

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Neither of these items seems worth it. Instead of the Resistal, have someone detail the exterior with polymer (not just wax). It costs anywhere from $200 to $400 each time.

If this was the first year or not tested drivetrain, I would say the extended warranty MIGHT be worth it. But for these coaches, it isn't.

$8K is a lot of money.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:14 PM   #9

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Don't get duped into buying the warranty. The dealer will say, it's only $xx per month. Problem is that $xx per month is for the entire length of your finance plan, say 15 years. You'll be paying that $xx amount long after the 5 years that it covers plus you will be paying interest on the money the whole time. Also, you have a one year warranty to begin with. Besides, you don't know it yet, but you won't be keeping the rig five years.

On the paint sealer, you can buy it yourself and do it. It's a big sell up for the dealer who has already made tons of money off you.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:30 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
I have had resistal applied to two motorhome's. The selling point is that,"you don't have to wax twice a year". My unit's do seem to clean up easy, however my issues have been with proper application. If not applied evenly it can really look bad. The first one was so bad, we received our money back. The second one we will be having some decals replaced because of uneven application.

We bought an extended warranty on our first unit, but cancelled it after a couple weeks. We wanted a new motorhome and hadn't done our homework. We purchased a warranty on our second unit, but this time tried some negotiation. It worked for us. Bigger units may not have the price wiggle room.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:51 PM   #11

Model: Four Winds 22B
THOR #5326
It is all a personal / financial decision when we purchased our slightly used certified MH the dealer offered 4 service plans
1 Gap insurance
2 5 year B2B
3 Tire & wheel
4 Exterior / Interior protection
I was able to negotiate all 4 for $3200.00 after we settled on price of MH so we purchased them

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:04 PM   #12

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDRider View Post
Hey all - about to sign for a new Tuscany and I have a couple of questions to ask the group:

1. Resistall? Worth it? Reading other blogs it seems like it is over priced for what it actually does

2: 5 year extended warranty? Give me great piece of mind but adding another $8,000 to the purchase price is a little steep.

As always thanks for the feedback.

The exterior protection? IMHO a couple good wax jobs each year is the best protection for any RV.

5 year extended warranty? You may not have any issues from day one with your new unit, or you may have it in the shop more than it is out. Most RV extended warranties are not going to do anything for you in the first year while your Thor warranty is still in place, plus remember that your engine/drive train warranty is minimum of 3 years and for some of it will be much longer. If it was me I would shop around in the first 8 or 10 months to find a good extended plan. For a 5 year coach plan which also kicks in for the engine/tranny you can probably get one for $3,500 or less depending on deductible. On the other hand, if you are only an occasional weekend camper and only putting 2,000 miles on a year of less, than maybe an extended warranty is a waste of money.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:25 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 31K
THOR #3520
I have had two experiences with trying to collect on those those extended warranties. Admittedly these were not RV related but both times I came out feeling duped. Never again will I buy one on anything.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca