Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2018, 12:20 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ohio
THOR #9446
Perplexing Furnace Issue

Hello All,

I have a 2010 Thor Freedom Elite 21C. Standard Atwood furnace.

Here is my issue:
I purchased the unit last fall in superb shape. As the unit was from the southwest, the furnace got very little if any use. The propane in the tank could be from some time ago as well as the unit itself was very lightly used.

local temperatures have been between 30 and 45 while I have been doing some projects.

I Start the furnace for the day and it fires up immediately. It will run without a hiccup for about an hour. Then the unit will cycle through the start sequence (multiple clicking) 3 times, fail to light and shut down as prescribed by the safety manual. It will not light for the rest of the day.

The next day, it will light immediately, run fine for about an hour and then fail. I have repeated this scenario at least 8-10 times this winter.

I apologize for the lengthy post, but I am quite perplexed. Do any of you more experienced folks have any thoughts?

Much appreciation!
Scott Ross

Old 03-15-2018, 12:28 AM   #2

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Could be an over temp signal, bad circuit board, loose connection. try re-seating your connections to the circuit board and check other connections.
Good luck.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:01 AM   #3

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
It could also be a legitimate over temp, check to make sure ducting, including the return, is free flowing, no sharp corners, or kinks.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:58 AM   #4

THOR #9446
I will look at the overtrmp possibility and report back. Thanks for the idea.

Scott
Old 03-16-2018, 12:31 AM   #5

THOR #9446
The confusion continues. I removed the exterior cover today to look for error codes. Wiggled some connectors and ensured all was tight. Fired up the furnace and could not duplicate the problem. Ran without a hitch for over an hour. Stopped and started without fail.

The only thing different today. In reading another thread that dealt with flow problems, it mentioned bleed the line at the stove, then open the gas valve very slowly. Opening rapidly could make the regulator stick causing all sorts or gremlin problems. Did I just get "punked" by that post or is it possible that my regulator has been the issue all along? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance Scott
Old 03-16-2018, 12:52 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I think a regulator problem would show up quicker than an hour. Do you have vents on your outside furnace door? Which way would they allow moisture to flow? To the outside of the door or the inside?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:02 AM   #7

THOR #9446
Thanks for the response. I believe the vents are correct to shed water as opposed to introduce water. They look ok from that standpoint, but I will need to look at them with more interest next time it rains.

I'm going to fill my propane tank tomorrow,, not for any other reason than I am below 1/3 of a tank. I don't expect it to make any change but who knows. Thanks again for the responses.

Scott
Old 03-17-2018, 02:29 AM   #8

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
It sounds to me that you may have a small amount of air trapped in your propane tank. It's possible it wasn't purged properly at some point and air was trapped in the tank.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:54 PM   #9

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
I had an identical issue to yours this past winter. Even went as far as to remove outside cover and leave off - no issue. When cover reinstalled unit would run for about 15 - 30 minutes and shut off.

Found issue was thermal switch(it is usually a black round "button" mounted on heat box with 2 wires) . As they age they tend to shut down the units at a lower box temperature. Since our units are known for low airflow through the air box since all outlets are generally not used, it can become an issue. It is an easy check using a jumper.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:37 PM   #10

THOR #9446
Update. So, I filled the propane tank. It was just under 1/3 of a tank. Since, I have not been able to duplicate the issue. I'm not ready to call it solved, but I am feeling a bit more confident, just not sure why. I'm hoping it was just air in the system. Thanks for the responses. I will keep an eye on the thermal switch, I have heard of that issue from others as well. Time will tell!

Thanks again, Scott
Old 03-21-2018, 11:44 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Since it hadn't seen much use: perhaps it was just throwing a bit of a tantrum?
Glad to hear that it's working much better!