Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2018, 11:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
Picked up Hurricane 34J Today

I wanted to spend the night at the dealership, Elkhart got 8 inches of snow last night and more coming. Not much better weather outlook for our area either. So we came home. PDI went well with only a couple of things easily fixed. Theeeeennn. We moved it out to the parking lot. With slide in, The folding doors on the bunks wouldn't open. Tech worked on it, moving the slide in and out several times. Checking the door operation each time. Noticed that TVs would go out when slide came in. Should have STOPED everything right there. Got home and no TV would work. Pulled off the cover just below the oven. A lot goes on there! Somehow all the cable connections had pulled apart. There is a large piece of canvas in there that I don't think has been properly applied. I could see a lot of daylight and there are two large rubber strips that look like at one time they had been glued together. Any thoughts on whats going on there?
This is our third Thor so If this is all I find I will be very happy.
Im posting a couple of pictures, wondering if anyone knows what they do.
The plug was in a drawer with the charger plug for the rapid camp remote
the keys were in the bag with all the documents. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unknown plugIMG_2425.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	8932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Random keysIMG_2426.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	8933  

Old 02-07-2018, 11:18 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations on the new rig!

The Rapid Camp remote is supposed to have a charger?
(Another call to the Dealership...)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:28 PM   #3

Model: 34J
State: Florida
THOR #8707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbadger777 View Post
I wanted to spend the night at the dealership, Elkhart got 8 inches of snow last night and more coming. Not much better weather outlook for our area either. So we came home. PDI went well with only a couple of things easily fixed. Theeeeennn. We moved it out to the parking lot. With slide in, The folding doors on the bunks wouldn't open. Tech worked on it, moving the slide in and out several times. Checking the door operation each time. Noticed that TVs would go out when slide came in. Should have STOPED everything right there. Got home and no TV would work. Pulled off the cover just below the oven. A lot goes on there! Somehow all the cable connections had pulled apart. There is a large piece of canvas in there that I don't think has been properly applied. I could see a lot of daylight and there are two large rubber strips that look like at one time they had been glued together. Any thoughts on whats going on there?
This is our third Thor so If this is all I find I will be very happy.
Im posting a couple of pictures, wondering if anyone knows what they do.
The plug was in a drawer with the charger plug for the rapid camp remote
the keys were in the bag with all the documents. Thanks

We bought a '17 34J back in July. We had an issues with coax being loose on EVERY TV and even the connections above the couch. This caused the TV's to work intermittently. Easy fix but frustration to chase down.

Another issue we had was Ice Maker not making ice. We later found this was due to the water valve below the residential fridge was never turned on. You need a screw gun to remove the panel but this may save you a trip to the dealer.

We also found our USB charger in the bedroom not working. Sounds like many coaches left Thor with the wires reversed. We had the wiring fixed and then had the entire receptacle replaced due to over heating when used.

Good luck with your new purchase!! I have never figured out what those xtra keys are for
Old 02-08-2018, 01:24 AM   #4

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10254
could those keys be for the outside shower cover?
Old 02-08-2018, 01:25 AM   #5

Model: Windsport 34J
State: Minnesota
THOR #9155
I have an '18 34J Windsport. I feel your pain. Make sure when the slide is extended that they hooked up the kitchen sink to the grey tank. In the same area under the oven, we had pieces and parts laying around and not connected. Flooded the entire slide before we figured that out! The rubber flaps are the "weather seal" which goes around the grey tank connection point for the kitchen sink.

I did not find one coax connector tight thruout the entire coach. Check every tv and splitter you can find. (there is a splitter in mine under the bottom drawer next to the removable panel under the oven).
The panel with the wineguard amplifier will need to be removed. There are splitters behind the panel plus the connections on the amplifier. All were loose.

Make sure you understand how the inverter functions when on the road/shorepower/generator and your autogen start. Took four inverters before the factory wiring was found out the be wrong. (This is a subject you should research on the forum(s). Lots of info that shouldn't addressed here)
Old 02-08-2018, 03:36 AM   #6

Model: 2018 Windsport 34J
State: Washington
THOR #9055
Yup, the keys are for the outside shower. Double check all your faucet & drain connections and the toilet. All mine were loose. Outside kitchen too.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:45 PM   #7

THOR #6009
Amazing that no matter how long my PDI list was, i still missed some things.
Could someone tell me about the tank heaters. My Axis had switches on the panel. The spec. sheet says "enclosed and heated holding tanks" Are they on a thermostat? I find nothing to turn them on or off. They must be working, because this morning I noticed that the grey tank was reading 1/4 full. It had sat in there overnight with 15 degree temps. and about 3 gallons flowed right out.
During the PDI I noticed that there was pink in the shower and sinks. There was also about 10 gallons of water in the fresh water tank, which they drained. So I am assuming that they filled and tested all of the plumbing systems.
I am totally ignorant concerning the operation of the inverter and the auto gen-start. For instance; I have turned off the Fridge. I am plugged into house power, yet I noticed the inverter was running. Shouldn't the shore power be charging the batteries and even if the fridge was on, wouldn't the shore power run it?
Please be patient with me as I sort thru some of these things.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #8

Model: 34J
THOR #8707
Quote:
Amazing that no matter how long my PDI list was, i still missed some things.
Could someone tell me about the tank heaters. My Axis had switches on the panel. The spec. sheet says "enclosed and heated holding tanks" Are they on a thermostat? I find nothing to turn them on or off. They must be working, because this morning I noticed that the grey tank was reading 1/4 full. It had sat in there overnight with 15 degree temps. and about 3 gallons flowed right out.
During the PDI I noticed that there was pink in the shower and sinks. There was also about 10 gallons of water in the fresh water tank, which they drained. So I am assuming that they filled and tested all of the plumbing systems.
I am totally ignorant concerning the operation of the inverter and the auto gen-start. For instance; I have turned off the Fridge. I am plugged into house power, yet I noticed the inverter was running. Shouldn't the shore power be charging the batteries and even if the fridge was on, wouldn't the shore power run it?
Please be patient with me as I sort thru some of these things.
I will do my best to help with some of your questions but i have a 34J and am not aware of "Heated tanks". Unless this is something your dealer added due to being in MI.

It is safe to say that the pink that you saw in the shower and sink was antifreeze added to your tanks to prevent freeze up.

The inverter runs via the on/off switch located by the step. It is my understanding that even when plugged in to shore power, your house batteries are getting charged but the inverter will still provide power the fridge. This includes the fridge in the outdoor kitchen.

The auto start is useful but i was advised by a Thor rep that they are not set from the factory. You will find a little controller with several dials on it in the 3rd driver side bay next to the inverter. It is difficult to see as it is mounted with the dials facing downward. My wife used her phone to take a pic to get an idea of the settings and we adjusted it as we wanted. It can be set by voltage, temperature , run time and even quiet times(Not sure how it knows what time it is). We set ours to auto start when the voltage of the house batteries reaches 10.8 volts.

The temp setting can be useful is you leave a pet inside and are worried about temp. Leave the air set to on and set the auto start.

Hope this helps!!
Old 05-20-2018, 04:30 AM   #9

State: Oregon
THOR #11691
They are for the outside shower cover.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #10

THOR #6009
An update to this post. The keys are for the bathroom door. I never had a coach that had a lock on the bathroom door. I still don't know what that other cord powers. I have learned a lot about the inverter and auto-gen start since this post in Feb. I worked as a bio-tech, for a large primary care medical facility. ( I repaired medical equipment.) When I retired, I said to myself,"I don't have to read manuals and talk to tech support on the phone anymore. So here I am with a new motorhome, reading manuals and talking to tech support on the phone. Our Hurricane had a number of issues, none of which kept us from using it. I have a July appointment in Wakarusa where everything will get fixed.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:19 PM   #11

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
Quote:
...Could someone tell me about the tank heaters. My Axis had switches on the panel. The spec. sheet says "enclosed and heated holding tanks" Are they on a thermostat? I find nothing to turn them on or off. They must be working, because this morning I noticed that the grey tank was reading 1/4 full. It had sat in there overnight with 15 degree temps. and about 3 gallons flowed right out....
It's probably the same as our Challenger. There are no tank heaters as you had in your Axis, there are only vents in the enclosed tank bays that send heat from inside the coach to the bays. Took me awhile to find them last winter when I looked. 2" hole in the ceiling in the middle of the bay. Keep the heat running inside the coach and the tank bays stay warm.