Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2020, 02:33 AM   #1

State: California
THOR #8228
Water pump acting weird in my 2015 Miramar!

Has anyone come across your water pump switch is on at the panel, turn on the faucet and no water, go back to the panel flip the switch a time or two and the faucet now works. This is recent, worked everytime before this recent little snafu. Do you think it's the switch or the pump that's acting up.
Thanks for the Asap, as I'm leave on a trip Memorial day weekend.

Old 05-13-2020, 03:30 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Synergy
State: Arizona
THOR #12461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratmanstudio View Post
Has anyone come across your water pump switch is on at the panel, turn on the faucet and no water, go back to the panel flip the switch a time or two and the faucet now works. This is recent, worked everytime before this recent little snafu. Do you think it's the switch or the pump that's acting up.
Thanks for the Asap, as I'm leave on a trip Memorial day weekend.

It could be the pump, it could be the switch, and it could be bad wiring. The first thing I would check is to see if you’re getting power at the pump when you turn the switch on. Hopefully you have a VOM meter.
Old 05-13-2020, 03:55 AM   #3

THOR #8228
Yep, I do have a volt meter, my main pump is in my wet bay, I think I need to check the wiring as well, there's is a 2nd pump behind it as well not sure why, maybe full time for toilet(?) Need to get a schematic... was wondering If this was a common thing?
Old 05-13-2020, 03:59 AM   #4

THOR #8228
Btw: we know we're getting power, intermittently, 'cause some times it works sometimes not. Sometimes I have to switch the switch multiple times to get the pump going.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:35 AM   #5

Model: Synergy
State: Arizona
THOR #12461
Quote:
Btw: we know we're getting power, intermittently, 'cause some times it works sometimes not. Sometimes I have to switch the switch multiple times to get the pump going.

Based on your flipping the switch on and off several times before getting the pump to operate, I would suggest that you take a look at your switch first. Is this an electronica digital tape switch or is this a rocker switch physically turned on and off? You need to determine whether there is voltage present when the switch is turned on. If the switch is turned on and the pump does not run, check to see if voltage is present. If your switch is turned on with the pump not working and voltage is not present at the pump, then you need to look for your loss of power upstream from that point.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:30 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
I have a metal screen on the inlet side of my water pump. I had a similar fault you described. I screwed the cap off the water pump and found tiny bits of silt imbeded on the inlet side. Removed the screen, gave it a thorough cleaning and reinserted. Problem went away. Now clean the screen at the end of each season.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:00 AM   #7

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
The pump has a pressure switch. It will not come on unless the pressure is below it's set point. If no faucet is open the pump will not run. Do not turn on the water pump if hooked up the city water. That often causes trouble with the check valve. If not on city water, turn the switch on the pump then open a faucet. The pump should come on and pump water. Close the faucet and leave the pump switch on. It will pressurize the system and shut off. If the pump does not shut off soon the check valve is stuck.

I have never heard of a second pump. The other one might be a hydrolic pump. You sure they both have water lines attached?
Old 05-13-2020, 12:29 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
You know you're getting power when it runs. The question is: Are you getting power when it doesn't run?

Do you have a "Pump On" LED next to the switch? If so, is it always on when you turn the switch on, even if the pump does not run?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:36 PM   #9

Model: Mirramar 34.2
State: Saskatchewan
THOR #6138
I also have a 2015 Miramar and agree wit most of the replies. I don’t have a second pump but am curious as to what it’s for. If you figure it out let know please.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:13 AM   #10

THOR #8228
Hi all, and thanks for the ideas, Friday, my day off, I'll back the MH down the driveway so I can open the wet bay door which is next to a wall currently and get to the water pump.

I'm going to try the intake filter 1st and clean it out, and then see what I've percieved to be a second pump behind my main pump, and I'll let you know....
While I'm back there, (I saw some YouTube vids on using 1/2 in insulation on the pipes to quiet it down some) I'll try a pump quieting mod or 2 as they do vibrate against that water proof storage box of a wet bay which is like a speaker cabinet, so I'll make that mod...

As for the switch, it does have an led above it on the large switch panel and when switched up/on, the led stays on and doesn't falter. When turned off the led turns off as well. It works properly from what I see

The 1st 10k miles, my MH was owned by an engineer, that liked to modify stuff, he added upgraded TVs, T4 Sat dish with HDMI cabling everywhere, Alpine stereo, plus an always on rear camera to see my towed, fantastic fans all around, and every man's favorite, an extra professionally plumbed toilet in one of the full closets in the master bedroom with a sink and macerator to keep everything er a flowing. So I'm thinking he possibly did add a second pump for.....something.
Come to think of it, there is a switch that runs a pump for the main toilet on the sink cabinet, so if the water pump is off at the wall panel, the toilet still works.
I'll get back to you and let you know what I find.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:09 PM   #11

THOR #8228
Ok, replaced Flojet 5 water pump. Was hot to touch just sitting, so I didn't want to chance it. $205 @ local CW. Easy change out.

Now for what you're all wondering.
Yes, I do have a second pump! I told you the engineer guy/previous owner did lots of mods to my coach. Under my bathroom sink is a lighted switch that goes to the other water pump, that fills the main toilet, so whether the main water pump switch for the whole coach is on or not, the toilet will fill independently and be useable. Pretty ingenious, actually. Love a customized coach!
Old 05-17-2020, 03:00 AM   #12

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
So, no matter what, you can always take a ...............
Old 05-21-2020, 06:37 AM   #13

THOR #8228
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
So, no matter what, you can always take a ...............
Not only that but the dude also put a 2nd toilet in the master bedroom closet and sink on the desk area under the TV, professionally plumbed... so I have a bath and a half... what every man wants, his own private Duce-Drop Inn.