Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2021, 02:46 PM   #21

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf026 View Post
I had a 50 amp done that at my house and its really convenient. Just make sure that you electrician knows that this is going to an RV. It's really a split 120V service. I have heard stories of electricians mistakenly wiring it as 240V.
It is 240.

Name:  50_Amp_240V-metered-300x226.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  18.6 KB

Old 05-01-2021, 03:29 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
The electrician that did mine had no clue and put one hot leg to the neutral, the other hot leg split to the two hots, such that both sides got 220. The neutral had a wire nut on it and was pushed into the back of the box. I had it specifically installed for my parents' RV when my house was built and didn't check it figuring an electrician ought to know what they're doing. My parents plugged in and blew out their ATS, converter, and every appliance that takes AC except the fridge. Did a couple thousand dollars in damage to their Feetwood.
Old 05-01-2021, 03:35 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I hope your electricians completed operations liability coverage paid for those repairs.
Old 05-01-2021, 03:38 PM   #24

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
The ground would have tripped the breaker

No ground?
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
The electrician that did mine had no clue and put one hot leg to the neutral, the other hot leg split to the two hots, such that both sides got 220. The neutral had a wire nut on it and was pushed into the back of the box. I had it specifically installed for my parents' RV when my house was built and didn't check it figuring an electrician ought to know what they're doing. My parents plugged in and blew out their ATS, converter, and every appliance that takes AC except the fridge. Did a couple thousand dollars in damage to their Feetwood.
Old 05-01-2021, 04:05 PM   #25

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
The ground would have tripped the breaker

No ground?
Ground was attached, and did trip the breaker, but that takes a little time to happen. The damage was already done.
Old 05-01-2021, 04:28 PM   #26

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
Yep.
There you go

I have a dog bone for every possible scenario for my RV 50 AMP Cord.

50 =>30 amp
50 =>20/15 Standard house hold

50 =>Portable Generator 30 amp plug [I only use this at home when exercising my Sinemate Portable Generator.

Don't forget the Southwire Surge protector in front of the 50amp RV Cord for added precaution.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:39 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:40 PM   #28

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichS View Post
We are pretty fortunate. Our RV is on the side of our house and I have 30 amp service to it. I live in Florida and I have my AC ON all the time set at 75. Before camping turn the fridge on couple iof days before load up. When we get back from a trip. AC on fridge on. Take our time unloading.
I see this and read it all the time, but I have never understood, We have Norcold propane fridge, and when I turn it on assuming it is very hot and empty; it is ice cold 6 hours later? I may turn it on the night before leaving, but that is only because we may start to load it up the night before and that is to keep it cold NOT to get it cold to load. Of course the above it assumes that it was not already on because at times we keep everything running depending on what we are doing.

Am I missing something here? One day, I will have to put a tray of ice in the freezer to see how long it takes to freeze, that process may take overnight, but 2 days? We actually load ice from home icemaker to smaller sealable plastic containers and store that in our Norcold freezer for trips.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-01-2021, 04:52 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Some folks have residential refrigerators...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 05:28 PM   #30

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Some folks have residential refrigerators...
Ahhhhhhhh ....

I know it is pretty common to hear some call Norcold "Never Cold" so I assume that something must happen with the absorption fridges over time that they don't get cold enough or fast enough? If we put our fridge on 5 Frostflakes, it will freeze water and beer in the fridge. We keep it on 3 frostflakes and the beer is very cold. We just made a mod change so now while driving we can run the Norcold on Inverter without propane or generator running
Old 05-01-2021, 08:28 PM   #31

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Am I missing something here? One day, I will have to put a tray of ice in the freezer to see how long it takes to freeze, that process may take overnight, but 2 days? We actually load ice from home icemaker to smaller sealable plastic containers and store that in our Norcold freezer for trips.
If you put a tray of ice in the freezer.... is it not already frozen?

We also do the same by bagging ice cubes from home... it also is a good tattle-tail if the reefer freezer fails at any time and then refreezes.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:46 PM   #32

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
If you put a tray of ice in the freezer.... is it not already frozen?

We also do the same by bagging ice cubes from home... it also is a good tattle-tail if the reefer freezer fails at any time and then refreezes.
Oh you got me I will have to yield to that

I should have said "I may put a ice tray of water to see how long it freezes"

But I agree 100% with putting frozen ice cubes into the freezer. My wife is a cleanliness fanatic; so she uses 4 of those reusable plastics containers; they are stackable and about 4"x3"x6" each. We hardly ever run out of ice, and if we do; we just buy a bag of ice and refill the containers. We put the rest of bag in outside fridge

As you state, the proof is that none of the individually frozen ice cubes ever sticks together. And on some trips we have gone as long as 4 hours with the Fridge completely off. When we turned it back on the cubes still were not sticking. In future; we will always have it on, because we can now run that fridge off inverter, but on a recent trip to Colorado when we got over 3,500ft, I turned the propane off, I was surprised that we almost didn't miss it being on. We still had ice to throw away when we got back to Dallas
Old 05-01-2021, 09:50 PM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Never throw away ice...
Just switch to Scotch on the rocks...
Old 05-01-2021, 10:30 PM   #34

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Never throw away ice...
Just switch to Scotch on the rocks...
Where is the Duck? I may be a newbie RV Owner, but I am a professional alcoholic (when I am not driving of course ?

See the glasses in the picture, my daughter bought those for me years ago. They have some kind of liquid inside the glass around the perimeter that when put into the freezer will freeze and keep the glass frozen for a long time as if it had a ice cubes in it So I can have my Cognac on the rocks straight up

While I was at the freezer, I took a picture of two of the containers my wife uses to store ice, we travel with four of those containers filled with fresh ice from home.

@Old Web - See this is why it is not natural for me to think in terms of putting water in an ice tray. I just confirmed with the DW, that we don't have ice trays; so I can't conduct that experiment as stated in prior posts with water in an ice tray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210501_171455.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	30183  
Old 05-05-2021, 06:13 PM   #35

State: New Mexico
THOR #17556
Make sure that your RV is somewhat level. I plug my 30 amp cord into a 20 amp home receptacle with a 110 adapter. Just don't run anthing else, TV, AC, Micro etc. No problems
Old 05-05-2021, 07:03 PM   #36
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by walygator View Post
Make sure that your RV is somewhat level. I plug my 30 amp cord into a 20 amp home receptacle with a 110 adapter. Just don't run anthing else, TV, AC, Micro etc. No problems
110 Adapter? Both 30 Amp RV and 20 Amp house receptacles are 120 VAC (110 Volts)
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:06 PM   #37

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlyzbldcj View Post
Getting ready for a trip and want to know what is the best way to plug my thor hurricane 34J into my house current so I can cool off the fridge before a trip for water and soft drinks....can I run my 50amp cord to an adapter that will plug into my extension cord from my garage, or, do I need to plug in the 50 to 30amp adapter then to the 30amp to 110 adapter? Or should I just turn on the generator and inverter for the fridge for a couple hours before we leave to cool it off.
I do that all the time, I plug in a 12 inch 50 to 15 amp pigtail and a 12 gauge cord to the house to get the fridge cold. I also turn on the propane in case the electric fails. I also picked up a 30--15 amp to 50 amp, it's two cables to 50 amp it will give you 45 amps in a campground that doesn't have a 50 amp plug. I haven't tried it yet to see if I can run both ac units. They say it won't work if the post has a GFCI.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:08 PM   #38

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlyzbldcj View Post
Getting ready for a trip and want to know what is the best way to plug my thor hurricane 34J into my house current so I can cool off the fridge before a trip for water and soft drinks....can I run my 50amp cord to an adapter that will plug into my extension cord from my garage, or, do I need to plug in the 50 to 30amp adapter then to the 30amp to 110 adapter? Or should I just turn on the generator and inverter for the fridge for a couple hours before we leave to cool it off.
Let's get the language correct. 50 amp is 240 volts. 30 amp is 120 volts. There is no 110 volts anymore. The adapters are called dog bones.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:12 PM   #39

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I do that all the time, I plug in a 12 inch 50 to 15 amp pigtail and a 12 gauge cord to the house to get the fridge cold. I also turn on the propane in case the electric fails. I also picked up a 30--15 amp to 50 amp, it's two cables to 50 amp it will give you 45 amps in a campground that doesn't have a 50 amp plug. I haven't tried it yet to see if I can run both ac units. They say it won't work if the post has a GFCI.
What they say is correct. GFI can not share a neutral. GFI reads hot out and neutral return. Send it back.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:44 PM   #40

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
What they say is correct. GFI can not share a neutral. GFI reads hot out and neutral return. Send it back.
I think you're right, I just tried it at the campground. Or I could cut the ground off (lol)