Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2021, 09:47 PM   #41

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I think you're right, I just tried it at the campground. Or I could cut the ground off (lol)
GFI can not share a neutral

Old 05-05-2021, 10:05 PM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
GFI can not share a neutral
Thanks 👍
Old 05-06-2021, 02:31 AM   #43

Model: Siesta
State: California
THOR #3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Some RVs do not like being plugged into a GFCI protected circuit
I have that problem! Tried plugging my rv into a standard 110 outlet, with a variety of safety or conversion devices - no matter what I did, when I plugged in the RV power cord, the GFCI on that circuit popped. My ekectrician doesn't know anything about RV electrical systems. Anyone know what might be causing this, and how to overcome it? It's kind of annoying... Thx.

Dan
Old 05-06-2021, 02:37 AM   #44
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by lspotho View Post
I have that problem! Tried plugging my rv into a standard 110 outlet, with a variety of safety or conversion devices - no matter what I did, when I plugged in the RV power cord, the GFCI on that circuit popped. My ekectrician doesn't know anything about RV electrical systems. Anyone know what might be causing this, and how to overcome it? It's kind of annoying... Thx.

Dan
The ground and neutral in your RV are connected - they are not supposed to be. That's assuming you don't have a real ground fault problem in your RV, like a staple through a hot lead.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 12:07 PM   #45

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Switch all breakers off

Plug in, if GFCI doesn't trip proceed

Switch breakers on one at a time

The breaker that trips the GFCI is the problem circuit
Quote:

Dan
Old 05-06-2021, 12:33 PM   #46

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Switch all breakers off

Just beat ME on posting it.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:10 PM   #47

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #22687
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichS View Post
My 30 amp service is with the 3 prong RV plug. 10 gauge wire with its own 30 amp breaker.
That's what we had done.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:12 PM   #48

Model: Siesta
State: California
THOR #3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Switch all breakers off

Forgive my lack of knowledge on electrical systems generally and RV electrical specifically - are the breakers to be turned off on the RV, or in my home? I suspect the answer is "in the home" but I don't want to assume anything...

Thanks
Dan
Old 05-06-2021, 05:19 PM   #49

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Forgive my lack of knowledge on electrical systems generally and RV electrical specifically - are the breakers to be turned off on the RV, or in my home? I suspect the answer is "in the home" but I don't want to assume anything...

Thanks
Dan
In your Motor Home, shut all of the 120v breakers off

Plug in the power cord, if the GFCI trips then you have issues with the cord, plug ect

If the GFCI remains on, then start flipping the breakers on one by one

When the GFCI trips you have found the problem circuit

I am one of the lucky ones, they Tuscan can be plugged into any type GFCI, 120 or 240v and it never has tripped on yet
Old 05-06-2021, 06:09 PM   #50
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm glad that my garage is "grandfathered-in"; without GFCI receptacles...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:04 PM   #51

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I'm glad that my garage is "grandfathered-in"; without GFCI receptacles...
I wired my pedestal receptacle with GFCI.

While it is rare they would ever trip, when they do thus far they have always been right. I say it is worth it to find out why, It reminds me that I noticed a receptacle in the house in a utility room 12 inches above a sink with no GFCI receptacle

It is on my to do list the one day a month I get to work on house and not RV
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:39 PM   #52
MLM

Model: F E 24 HE
State: North Carolina
THOR #23152
If you have a panel in your garage that’s not running from your house a separate panel very very easy to install a 50 amp receptacle right next to the panel that’s what I did with mine but I have a separate panel in the garage if not then you’ll need to run it from your house. You can run or install a 50 amp receptacle on your house to where you can plug-in or you can use propane to run the fridge while you’re traveling to get where you’re going in my rig it doesn’t use any gas at all. I don’t know if they’re all the same Hope this helps
Old 05-06-2021, 11:39 PM   #53

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I wired my pedestal receptacle with GFCI.

While it is rare they would ever trip, when they do thus far they have always been right. I say it is worth it to find out why, It reminds me that I noticed a receptacle in the house in a utility room 12 inches above a sink with no GFCI receptacle

It is on my to do list the one day a month I get to work on house and not RV
It does not have to be located at the sink. It can be anywhere upstream, let's say In the garage, That one in the garage can feed 5/6 standard downstream like it does in an RV. Wired just the same. OR it can have a GFI breaker in the panel. If you see any yellow buttons on any breakers that is a GFI breaker.
Old 05-07-2021, 02:17 AM   #54

THOR #13058
Quote:
It does not have to be located at the sink. It can be anywhere upstream, let's say In the garage, That one in the garage can feed 5/6 standard downstream like it does in an RV. Wired just the same. OR it can have a GFI breaker in the panel. If you see any yellow buttons on any breakers that is a GFI breaker.

Good idea I tried to TEST ( Trip) 4 of the breakers that I could easily find ( garage, bath room in close perimeter, kitchen, and a bath on other side of the house); but when tripped; it was still power to the receptacle in Utility room.

I have never seen a yellow button; so I don't think it is the main panel. I may have to try the other way and that is to find which breaker control that receptacle and make note of what all is on that circuit; and then hunt for a GFCI that I am missing or maybe I have a bad existing GFCI and don't know it?

Although not likely it is possible the design simply did not call for GFCI because if I can remember when we had the house built, I insisted on a utility sink so it was an option. But if they could run plumbing for water and drain, surely they would know to add a GFCI?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-07-2021, 02:25 AM   #55

THOR #15553
Quote:
Good idea I tried to TEST ( Trip) 4 of the breakers that I could easily find ( garage, bath room in close perimeter, kitchen, and a bath on other side of the house); but when tripped; it was still power to the receptacle in Utility room.

I have never seen a yellow button; so I don't think it is the main panel. I may have to try the other way and that is to find which breaker control that receptacle and make note of what all is on that circuit; and then hunt for a GFCI that I am missing or maybe I have a bad existing GFCI and don't know it?

Although not likely it is possible the design simply did not call for GFCI because if I can remember when we had the house built, I insisted on a utility sink so it was an option. But if they could run plumbing for water and drain, surely they would know to add a GFCI?
may not have been code at the time the house was built.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:56 PM   #56

THOR #13058
Quote:
may not have been code at the time the house was built.
Cavie,

I finally got some time to play with this some more. I plugged in a 120 voltage detector in the receptacle above utility sink, and just starting flipping breakers that might control the circuit. On my 5th guess, I found that Breaker #11 controlled it. I could NOT read the contractor's writing; so I went all over the house to see what else was without power. NOTHING

So I go back to the panel and started trying to decode the letters based on other writing that I knew what was intended. Eventually, I figured out that it must have been written to say " Freezer Plug" Well we don't have, and never had a Freezer in that Utility room; but it makes sense to be able to add on your own; if we did not go with the Utility Sink Upgrade option.

So I assume back then (90s) they would not have put a GFCI when a freezer was intended? Took me 30 years to figure it out, but I think I need to put a GFCI receptacle in as we use that sink all the time. In fact, it is where we iron, and I could see the iron falling into the sink
Old 05-17-2021, 12:12 AM   #57

THOR #15553
Quote:
Cavie,

I finally got some time to play with this some more. I plugged in a 120 voltage detector in the receptacle above utility sink, and just starting flipping breakers that might control the circuit. On my 5th guess, I found that Breaker #11 controlled it. I could NOT read the contractor's writing; so I went all over the house to see what else was without power. NOTHING

So I go back to the panel and started trying to decode the letters based on other writing that I knew what was intended. Eventually, I figured out that it must have been written to say " Freezer Plug" Well we don't have, and never had a Freezer in that Utility room; but it makes sense to be able to add on your own; if we did not go with the Utility Sink Upgrade option.

So I assume back then (90s) they would not have put a GFCI when a freezer was intended? Took me 30 years to figure it out, but I think I need to put a GFCI receptacle in as we use that sink all the time. In fact, it is where we iron, and I could see the iron falling into the sink
sounds like a good plan.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:21 AM   #58

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Cavie,

What's an iron, haven't seen one since the 90s,lol
Old 05-17-2021, 03:30 AM   #59

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
What's an iron, haven't seen one since the 90s,lol
You meant 1890, right??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1890 iron.png
Views:	30
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	30570  
Old 05-17-2021, 05:43 AM   #60

Model: Windsport 35M
THOR #15368
House current

We keep our Thor Windsport 35M plugged into 110 while stored. keeps batteries charged and frig ice cold. Move to front of our house prior to a trip and plugged into 110, stocking the frig for trip and have had no issues.