Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2015, 07:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Texas
THOR #1403
Porch Light on 2015 Challenger

We lost the lens cover on the road and are finding it extremely difficult to find a lens cover that fits the porch light Thor uses. I have tried Calling Thor but they told me I need to see a Dealer.
I have tried emailing and calling our dealer and have only been able to leave a voice message for the parts department
I have tied the local RV parts stores and no one carries the type or type Thor uses and everyone asks for a part #

Does anyone know the brand name for the porch light or part number to order a replacement lens cover. The lens cover is something around 4 inches
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Porch Light.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	960  

Old 10-24-2015, 08:05 PM   #2

Model: Aria 3901
State: New Mexico
THOR #2538
I have to replace my bulb today, I'll look.

NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:17 AM   #3

THOR #2538
Pops,
Sorry I couldn't find a part number for the lens or the entire assembly. Took it off the side of the RV and it didn't have a number on the back side either. Thor may be your only option.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:12 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Pops

You might try Command Electronics. They make a lot of the lights for RV and Marine applications.

Command Electronics :: Manufacturers of Lighting for RV, Marine, & Trailers

I remember someone else on the forum had the same issue earlier this year.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:50 PM   #5

THOR #1403
Thank you both. This is such a crazy thing to have happen and even more crazy not being able to get a hold of anyone at Thor to simply give me a part# I will just have to push harder with the customer support at Thor
Old 10-25-2015, 01:18 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #1469
Pops,

The person I used to deal with at Thor is Lany Saul. She moved from Customer Service to parts. Her email address is lsaul@tmcrv.com.

The way I understand it Thor's license does not allow them to sell parts but Lany, if she still works for Thor, may be able to give you the part number and manufacturer for the lens.
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-25-2015, 09:55 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
I had the same thing happen to mine and could not find one local or mail order. I took my unit to the nearest dealer and asked them to order me 2 new covers. They were not sure if it would be covered but they did order them. It took 2 weeks but they called and I had to take the unit back to them. They installed 1 and left the other in a drawer, both under warranty, they also had to replace a defective drawer latch and the stone guards in front of the rear wheels.
I am going to put a small dab of silicon caulk on the lens to hold it in place. Mine blew off in SD with 40 mph cross winds and I am afraid that I will loose another without something to hold it.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:41 PM   #8

THOR #1403
Yes I have come to find out loosing the lens cover on the road has happened to other Thor MH owners so all beware you could be next, and then you will be looking for something that seems to be an odd ball rarity to find. I too will be ordering two!
dstankov reminded of about Lany Saul at Thor . I too had several communications with this person after we bought ours in Nov 2014 and this person is a 5 star customer service person hands down! I have sent an email hoping she can give me the information I need come Monday.
I realize it could be covered under warranty but at this point I just want to get the porch light lens cover back on to avoid any problems with water getting in so will happily pay for it, I assume is between $4-$7?
Old 10-26-2015, 01:29 AM   #9

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #1505
Lose my light cover about three trips ago. Must be a design problem that the wind catches the lens cover fairly easy. Also have not located one online, will be calling Thor. Also still under warranty.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:32 AM   #10

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
let everyone know what the part number is so we can all purchase a spare!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:40 PM   #11

Model: Freedom Elite
State: Florida
THOR #1616
Temporary fix

We lost our porch light lense somewhere on the Trans Canada Highway. I cut the bottom off a 2-liter soda bottle. Carefully twist the end of a sharp knife through the side to make two holes that line up with the pegs on the bottom side of the fixture. Pop it in. Ours stayed in even on the Top of the World Highway in Alaska.
We should be able to drive down any highway and find these things lying all over the place.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:56 PM   #12

Model: Freedom Elite
State: Florida
THOR #1616
Trying picture link

can anyone direct me to a post on putting up photos?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Old 10-26-2015, 03:57 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
It's an extremely common part! You can order it on Amazon, (Bargman 30-80-21), and have it delivered to your doorstep!

It's also available in amber, if you have moths or insects issues.

And it's, (the shipping actually), is ridiculously expensive, I hope that you are sitting down!

If you have PRIME, it's actually cheaper to purchase the whole fixture, just to get the lens!

http://www.amazon.com/Bargman-30-80-...TNDPGN9JB11AWM
Old 10-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
It's an extremely common part! You can order it on Amazon, (Bargman 30-80-21), and have it delivered to your doorstep!

It's also available in amber, if you have moths or insects issues.

And it's, (the shipping actually), is ridiculously expensive, I hope that you are sitting down!

If you have PRIME, it's actually cheaper to purchase the whole fixture, just to get the lens!

http://www.amazon.com/Bargman-30-80-...TNDPGN9JB11AWM
Beacher

Thanks.

In my neck of the woods O'Reilly Auto Parts is a Bargman dealer so one might check with them and eliminate some of the shipping cost.

You can go to Bargman's site (http://www.bargman.com/) and find a nearby dealer.
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-26-2015, 06:59 PM   #15

THOR #2538
Pops,
Like nurse stated post the part number once you get it..
Thanks

Old 10-26-2015, 09:07 PM   #16

THOR #1403
OK this is what I have found from all the inquires I put in to Thor and other Thor dealers this is the only response I got.
I am in Texas but this RV dealer in Missouri is the only one who came through. They had a form where I gave the Vin# to be sure we got a match for the Thor part
So I have to suggest anyone needing or wanting a replacement lens to contact them and give them your Vin#
I ordered two as I never wish to have to go through this again.They have the clear lens or amber

Ron,
This is the Acorn lens, our # 236418 & 236419 both $5.99 plus shipping. Would you like clear or amber? I will then email an invoice, will call for a credit card number and we can ship it out for you.

Steve S.
ByerlyRV.com
1-800-878-3325
Old 10-26-2015, 09:25 PM   #17
Site Team

THOR #1469
Pops

Unfortunately the part numbers they provided are their internal numbers and not the manufacturer's part number. I noticed this happens quite a bit when dealing with RV dealer part stores.

I believe prior to taking my coach in for service and one or two small warranty items I'll ask the dealer to order a couple for the spare parts bin.
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-26-2015, 10:12 PM   #18

THOR #1403
Yes that is true it is THEIR part number, but for me having had such the hard tome finding any information on the part or anyone responding to me I find them like an oasis in the desert, so very happy.

We are Full Timers so do not have the luxury or going into a dealer and waiting.

Unfortunately to date Thor has not been willing to give me a part number and my email to Lany Saul in Parts at Thor (last known position, as it use to be warranty) has not been responded to and if it is I will post the Thor Part#

If anyone else is able to find the Thor Part # please post it as if you find yourself with the lens cover missing you too will find it hard to find a replacement for what ever reason there is for that.

We are set to head to Biloxi MS in two weeks so I needed to find the part ASAP. I am thankful to this RV parts dealer for being able to identify the part and having it to mailed to me
Old 10-26-2015, 11:05 PM   #19
Site Team

THOR #1469
I will say their response that listed it as an "Acorn" lens helps with a web search. Doing a search on RV Porch light returned nothing but rectangular lights and lens however when I search for RV Acorn light lens I get all kinds of results with varying prices that range from not too bad to totally ridiculous.

Have fun in Biloxi. Best Po Boy in town is at the Ole Biloxi Schooner on Howard Ave.
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-27-2015, 10:18 AM   #20

THOR #1403
[QUOTE=Beacher;20457]It's an extremely common part! You can order it on Amazon, (Bargman 30-80-21), and have it delivered to your doorstep!

Beacher the part you posted does not look like the Porch light on the Thor Challenger. I know the one you posted is common I see them on many motor homes and fifth wheels. I have also see some close to what we have but the lens measures around 7 inches and this one Thor uses thr lens is only about 4 inches.

I bought two at $5.99 and shipping was only $3.00. Just FYI.

I appreciate all the feed back on this as I am always interested in finding what we need as cheap and conveniently as possible no matter where we are. We are currently in a very rural area and the nearest Thor Dealer is an hours drive so finding something online and having it mailed works out best for us most of the time.

Happy trails to all, we will be leaving Texas in about two weeks now heading to Florida so will see if we can keep that porch light lens cover on this next road trip all