Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2018, 05:07 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Not only Ted, but Chance and a number of other folks here that know their stuff with electricity keep telling us we can't do it. We argue but they relentlessly keep kindly telling us..."I'm so sorry to tell you this but no you can't". You only have to tell me 5 times...I get it!! A lot of the "Y" pigtail, dual power crap manufacturers have quit making this stuff for this exact reason.

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:21 PM   #42
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I've always said that just because something is for sale: it doesn't mean that the seller has your best interests in mind...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:24 PM   #43

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
......cut.....

Good luck; let us know how this generator performs!

I had a couple of minor issues which I’ll have to work on, but for the most part it was fine, although my opinions regarding generators hasn’t changed much.

1. I like technology, and an inverter generator is better for me than a conventional generator, particularly at light loads; assuming everything else is equal.

2. For me a generator is a “necessary evil”, and if I could get rid of the noise and vibration in a practical and cost-effective way, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

3. Portable generators (of any kind) may have their applications, but I personally find built-in RV generators less hassle to use. I’ve used many Onan built-in generators, and while they burn more fuel, are louder, and vibrate more, for me the convenience of a built-in conventional generator overrides their negatives.

Regarding these issues, the inverter allowed the generator to run on Eco mode, and therefore save a little fuel so it could run all night without refueling. Additionally, when the A/C compressor cycled off during the night, it allowed the generator to idle at very low noise level. However, when the A/C compressor cycled back on, the generator’s speed and load change was even more noticeable than if it had run at constant and louder speed. In time I may adapt to this on-and-off noise, but it may take a while. It definitely affected my sleep more than the A/C compressor turning on and off when on shore power.

I know it comes down to personal preferences, but I wouldn’t mess with portable generators if I had a conventional built-in RV generator (Onan) on a motorhome unless I was going to set it up on the ground and away from RV to reduce noise and vibration. In my case, leaving it on hitch tray overnight allowed some vibration to come through the chassis. During the day leaving it on ground was much better and quieter.

Longer term, battery-powered inverter for air conditioner has to be a better solution based on our personal needs. Manufacturers just need to get the cost premium down a bit more. I would prefer not having to worry about refueling, noise, vibration, theft, or rain.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:57 PM   #44
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks for a very honest and insightful review!

Do you think that changes could be made to a generator's exhaust system; that would make them easier to live with?
How about better insulation around the compartments of the built-in ones?

Do you have any suggestions?
Old 09-03-2018, 03:02 PM   #45

THOR #2121
Quote:

Do you think that changes could be made to a generator's exhaust system; that would make them easier to live with?

An easy solution that has worked for me with conventional RV generators was to set the A/C thermostat low enough that it won’t cycle too often or at all. That keeps the A/C and generator noise more constant at night which makes it easier for me to sleep — I can tune out (ignore) the constant noise much easier. I’ll admit not running generators at night often because we mostly stay in campgrounds with full hookups.

The problem we run into is that practically all air conditioners are oversized for the required cooling capacity at night, so they will end up cycling on and off unless you set them really cold, or introduce some heat into RV to keep from freezing.

I’ll try that next time out and sleep under a couple of blankets, but in my case forcing the A/C to run continuously will likely make it run out of gas during the night. With a conventional RV generator that won’t make much difference.

And yes, Onan could make much quieter generators just like portable inverter generators. It just adds weight and costs. A water cooled engine with inverter technology would help even more, but comes at a relatively high cost.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:36 AM   #46

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:

If you have a factory installed generator you can add a Genturi exhaust which directs the exhaust up above the roof, some events like NASCAR require them. The Genturi does reduce some of the noise by directing the noise upward.

Adding more insulation is NOT a good idea. Generators require a lot of air for cooling! Manufacturers make generator compartments as small as possible, any reduction in size of the compartment by adding insulation and you run the risk of overheating your generator.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #47

THOR #11130
Removing the portable(s) from the hitch receiver would solve most of what you experienced...as you already know. I built a small "box" of foam insulation boards that stand around the portables while running on the ground. They absorb most of the noise and send the rest upward. It's more the change in the noises all night that bother us moreso than the noise itself. Luckily, our NASCAR race in ATL is in February so there's not much need too run them all night but I have the noise barrier JIC.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:40 PM   #48
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I wonder if you could add a muffler to those Genturi exhaust stacks?
I guess that it might mess up how the generator runs...
Old 09-04-2018, 12:53 PM   #49

THOR #11130
Back pressure would be an issue...really don't need a muffler...it's purpose is to just shoot the fumes up over everyone.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:32 PM   #50
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
… or in the case of MY rig: it gives me the chance to fire it into the window of a nearby REALLY tall Class A, or Fiver!
(less than 11' tall... )
Old 09-04-2018, 02:56 PM   #51

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Removing the portable(s) from the hitch receiver would solve most of what you experienced...as you already know. I built a small "box" of foam insulation boards that stand around the portables while running on the ground. They absorb most of the noise and send the rest upward. It's more the change in the noises all night that bother us moreso than the noise itself. Luckily, our NASCAR race in ATL is in February so there's not much need too run them all night but I have the noise barrier JIC.

Thanks. Sounds interesting — may want to try something similar. Have a few days to work on it but limited to few tools so must be simple.

Do you set generator directly on grown or elevate it a bit? I’d prefer ground to keep it simpler but parking lot could have some surface water if it rains hard depending on parking location. Obviously I’d try for a high spot.

How large is your box? Does it go all the way around, how tall above generator, and do you leave a gap at bottom for air to come in? Do you have hole for exhaust? And if made out of lightweight insulation, do you weigh it down to keep from blowing away? And most important, what do you do if it rains? Do you remove box, or place a cover over it high enough it doesn’t block air flow.

Sorry to ask so many details, but we have limited space to carry additional stuff, so what works for others may not necessarily be practical for us. It’s a major downside of minimalist camping/traveling. Adds freedom but comes at a cost.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:44 PM   #52

THOR #11130
Minimalist is my motto!! When I initially loaded out the motorhome I found a home base for the basics and haven't loaded much more into it. Small grill, 20# bottle, 4 folding chairs, door mats, adapter plugs and basic kitchen things, etc. I only use the foam box at races and local events...too bulky for cross country. The boxes are 2 feet wider than the generators and have a "mouse door" at the bottom for intake. I use the Foamular 150, 2" thick 4'X8' panels cut to size. The exhaust just goes out and up. As part of my "preps" I have military surplus HD aluminum tent stakes...they work well for anything. I drive them in the ground next to foam and run a line over the top and back down. Last year I had the TT so generators were in bed of pickup with 10X10 canopy standing over the bed. I use the canopy now over the gens which sit on 2' sections of 2X6 long enough to catch the legs and elevate just a bit off the ground. The 2x6's also serve other purposes and stow on rear carrier. It's a bit of drama dancing but it works when close to home. We take camper to track and leave it for 10 days or so during the ATL event. Track is 8 miles from home. Sometimes I pull a single axle trailer with golf cart (will do this coming weekend for boat drag races in Bainbridge, GA) but will not need gens there. If so, I could load all the drama on the trailer along with gens and extra gas, etc. It's a local thing and you need the space also...we have two campsites at the race so space is good for one camper.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:57 PM   #53

THOR #11130
FYI: Someone ask last week why I used portables instead of house unit...is house unit too loud? No, it isn't loud at all...it's just a matter of fuel consumption and use. Here's a video on the house unit...RV QD6000. Can hardly hear it running inside if someone is talking or TV going.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:52 PM   #54
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That generator WAS pretty darn quiet: quieter than my gas-powered unit...
Old 09-04-2018, 06:10 PM   #55

THOR #2121
Quote:

....cut.... Last year I had the TT so generators were in bed of pickup with 10X10 canopy standing over the bed. ....cut.....

We’ll need our 10X10 canopy this weekend anyway for added shade before game, so can try similar arrangement at night by setting it up just behind van and leave legs extended about half way up. My concern was it blowing away, but I can tie it down to hitch tray so it can’t go anywhere. While I won’t be able to set the generator farther from van, just getting it on ground might be enough. It’s certainly worth a try since I wouldn’t need to bring anything else along (except rope to secure canopy).

By the way, as I said before, if I had a diesel inverter generator like yours, I wouldn’t even think of running a portable. I must be getting lazy in my old age, but there is no way I’d hassle with portables. I’d pack one in case of failure, but only for an emergency. Your circumstances are very different, but when I’m burning close to 50 gallons of fuel to get to game, I’m not going to worry about an extra gallon of fuel for generator.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:17 PM   #56

THOR #11130
Yep...that's what they say...my wife reminds me all the time...what'd you buy it for if you're not gonna use it?...I just love the portables!! Take empty milk gallon jugs and fill them with water once onsite for weighing the canopy down. You can buy those collapsible jugs at any camp store including Neiman Walmartus. I actually use the Onan...ran it for 15 hours during our stay at a Harvest Host winery. Didn't even notice a change in the fuel gauge. 4,500 miles so far and 107 hours on generator.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:28 PM   #57
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Yep...that's what they say...my wife reminds me all the time...what'd you buy it for if you're not gonna use it?...I just love the portables!! Take empty milk gallon jugs and fill them with water once onsite for weighing the canopy down. You can buy those collapsible jugs at any camp store including Neiman Walmartus. I actually use the Onan...ran it for 15 hours during our stay at a Harvest Host winery. Didn't even notice a change in the fuel gauge. 4,500 miles so far and 107 hours on generator.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:25 PM   #58

THOR #2121
Quote:
Wise wife.

Driving at +/- 10 MPG you’d go through 450 gallons of diesel.

At 3,000 watts, enough to power two A/Cs, your generator would go through 43 gallons in 107 hours. If only one A/C or idling part time it’d be even less.

There may be other reasons to run portables, but fuel savings isn’t going to add up to much. Not enough to worry about compared to all other costs in my opinion. Your generator is exceptionally efficient.

P.S. — Our canopy came with weights; which I haven’t used yet. May use them at back end to keep the rear from lifting up. The front I’ll definetely tie down to hitch tray. Thanks for all input.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:52 PM   #59

THOR #11130
Good luck...enjoy the event and report back!! I only suggested empty jugs because of excess weight. 43 GALLONS IN 107 HOURS!!! I'LL NEVER USE IT AGAIN!!!
Old 09-08-2018, 10:13 PM   #60

Model: Chateau
State: Idaho
THOR #7541
Portable Generators in the Rain

I use a Tommy Bahama beach umbrella cut down and then stabilized using an umbrella stand designed for your patio umbrellas. The heavy one.