Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2019, 07:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
Portable satellite TV antenna question

I'm confused by the ads for the different brands of portable satellite antennas, like the Winegard Carryout or King Domes, etc., that say "not compatible" with DirectTV H25 and other DirectTV hi-definition receivers. Does "not compatible" mean that these just won't provide hi def reception but will provide standard def reception? Or does it mean that it won't work at all? Standard def is OK for my purposes. We currently have 3 DirectTV H25 hi-def receivers and I want to take one for use in our Axis.
I've looked at the Tech Support websites for the various manufacturers but they require specific info., like model & serial numbers, etc. Since I'm hoping to buy a good used one, I don't have such info. yet. I just can't figure out which type to to look for.
Thanks for any help, advice or recommend of a good source for such info, like a 'Dummy's guide to portable satellite TV antennas'. Thanks!

Old 07-16-2019, 07:21 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
DirectTV has never supported HD viewing from any of it's PORTABLE antennas... which has nothing to do with your receiver, but only that the 'eyeball' is looking for a satellite with only SD channels. For some reason, DISH can do it easily, but not Direct : /

If you use your receivers at your home, with the normal 'home mounted' antenna, sure, HD is perfectly available... AND, if you invest in one of the extremely expensive Roof Mounted DIRECT tv OPEN FACED articulating RV antennas, you can also receive HD, but not with any of the portables. Sorry. It's a DirectTV thang!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:23 PM   #3

THOR #4735
but, yes, any of the portable DIRECT TV compatible portable antennas work just fine for RVs, at least as long as it's compatible with your RECEIVER, which I believe would be a 'yes', but check your compatibility chart to make sure - it's listed on the Antenna's brochure or box, or the website of the manufacturer, such as KING or WINEGARD.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:43 PM   #4

Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
Hopefully I can clarify my questions a bit. I know that our DirectTV H-25 receivers get both HD and SD channels, on our home dish. Various portable sat TV antennas say they'll work with DirectTV but are not compatible with DirectTV HD receivers. What I'm wondering is, will they work thru the H-25 in the SD mode? I've seen ads for RV sat dishes that you have to set up and align manually on the satellites, that say they'll provide SD channels thru the H-25 receivers. I'm just wondering if anyone has found that the automatic self-aligning portable sat antennas will do the same?
Old 07-16-2019, 07:45 PM   #5

THOR #4735
the only way to know is to check the 'specifications' from the manufacturer's website, or the retail box/instructions themselves, though I don't think the receiver would be an issue... one can't be sure until asking the manufacturer, though.
A list is easily found on the DIRECTV and DISH websites, under equipment.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:54 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchief View Post
Hopefully I can clarify my questions a bit. I know that our DirectTV H-25 receivers get both HD and SD channels, on our home dish. Various portable sat TV antennas say they'll work with DirectTV but are not compatible with DirectTV HD receivers. What I'm wondering is, will they work thru the H-25 in the SD mode? I've seen ads for RV sat dishes that you have to set up and align manually on the satellites, that say they'll provide SD channels thru the H-25 receivers. I'm just wondering if anyone has found that the automatic self-aligning portable sat antennas will do the same?
The H-25 receiver is single wire multiplex (SWM) ONLY receiver. Thus, any carryout automatic antenna (King Quest, etc) will NOT work with the H-25 or HR-25 receiver. To use a carryout automatic antenna, you must use a receiver with numbers 24 or less such as a H-24 (still available). The H-24 receiver has a different type of LNB which can only handle two signals simultaneously, whereas the newer SWM LNBs can handle up to 21 channels at a time. You can use a manual carryout SlimLine 2 antenna (AU9) with a 3 SWM LNB but you will need a tripod and have to manually align the antenna. Any receiver numbered 25 or above will work with the 3 SWM. This week only DirectTV is offering free upgrades to 4K for long time customers. The tech is bringing a HS-17 receiver with a C-61 client Thursday.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:16 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
I’ve used a Winegard Carryout 2 for several years with an older Directv receiver. It works. I receive local channels over the air, I don’t worry much about HD