Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2019, 06:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
Portable satellite TV antenna question

Those who have portable satellite TV antennas, how do you secure the outdoor unit or do you? I'm wondering if I should add a 50' cable or light chain to keep mine from walking off. Thanks for your thoughts, suggestions, etc.

Also, I see references to 211 and Wally Dish receivers. What's the difference? Is one better than the other? Thanks!

Old 07-23-2019, 03:31 AM   #2

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
I usually do lock mine with a padlock and chain to a tree, or bumper on the MH. The main reason I went from a 211 to a Wally is that the remotes are IR, so I can control the Wally from the outside for the outside TV. They are also much smaller, and seem to not be as sensitive to heat.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:43 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
I have had the dish tailgater for the last 9 years never had a problem with it walking off
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:51 AM   #4

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
I have the Dish 1000 that requires manual setup. In the 4 years that I have had it, there has never been any thought that someone might walk away with it. Maybe i am too trusting, but i have never been to a campground yet where i was concerned about such things. I leave chairs, tables, bikes, etc. I seldom lock my storage bins either and have never experienced any losses. Lucky? Yeah, probably, but campers are some of the best people i have had the privilege of interfacing with. Oh yeah. I am not sure if this has anything to do with it, but i hardly ever use government owned parks. Most of my camping is in privately owned commercial campgrounds and resorts.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:26 AM   #5

THOR #4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
I usually do lock mine with a padlock and chain to a tree, or bumper on the MH. The main reason I went from a 211 to a Wally is that the remotes are IR, so I can control the Wally from the outside for the outside TV. They are also much smaller, and seem to not be as sensitive to heat.
I think you got it backwards. Wally remotes use RF (radio frequency) to control the Wally receivers. RF doesn't need 'line of sight' contact with the receiver, so receiver can be in a cabinet, another room, etc. IR (Infrared light used by most other remotes) must have 'line of sight' contact between the remote and the receiver.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:31 AM   #6

THOR #4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford1 View Post
I have the Dish 1000 that requires manual setup. In the 4 years that I have had it, there has never been any thought that someone might walk away with it. Maybe i am too trusting, but i have never been to a campground yet where i was concerned about such things. I leave chairs, tables, bikes, etc. I seldom lock my storage bins either and have never experienced any losses. Lucky? Yeah, probably, but campers are some of the best people i have had the privilege of interfacing with. Oh yeah. I am not sure if this has anything to do with it, but i hardly ever use government owned parks. Most of my camping is in privately owned commercial campgrounds and resorts.
Having served 35 years in law enforcement, I'm not very trusting.