Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2018, 09:00 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Texas
THOR #8460
I've been using a ZIP Countertop Reverse Osmosis Water Filter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076CQXAQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Alternatively there is a slightly cheaper model available, the AquaTru Countertop Water Filter Purification System
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MDLMBKC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 06-23-2018, 09:14 PM   #42

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
How about the Health Department water advice when the local water system on the blink? Boil the water; it kills most anything in the water.

And the Boy Scout method for santizing water from a stream? Couple drops of Iodine.

Personally, I use a Brita pitcher for coffee and cooking water. In-line Blue filter for showers.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:37 PM   #43

State: Michigan
THOR #3824
Get a Berkey water filter system. Been using for years and works great. Counter top and you can get different sizes. Expensive but great. Just google Berkey filters.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:49 PM   #44

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3772
Berkey Water Filter system

Check into this one. I’ve had one since 2001 and love it. The water always tastes fresh and as a full time RVer I don’t have to worry where I fill up my tanks. I run everything I consume through the Big Berkey.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:54 PM   #45

State: Michigan
THOR #3824
Berkey is great and it can easily be carried from rv into the house. Filter lasts a long time and can be cleaned . Outside blue filter ok for shower washing....but don’t trust too much for everyday drinking
Old 06-24-2018, 02:11 AM   #46

Brand: Crossroads
State: Indiana
THOR #105
We use the Berkey Travel filter for drinking water & cooking. We have a canister filter ahead of the On-The-GO softener outside & a charcoal filter on the output of the softener. The Berkey is for coffee, drinking, etc. I do keep a extra gallon container of filtered water to keep up with demand.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:21 PM   #47

Model: Hurricane 34F
State: Florida
THOR #9705
I use a two canister system with a basic filter in first canister to filter out the initial junk and Hydro Life 52412 C-2063 Cartridge - Premium KDF filter.
I too use a milk carton. I roll up my hose and it fits conveniently in front of the cartridges for travel/storage. Have not had any water issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water system.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	10981  
Old 06-25-2018, 04:32 PM   #48

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by skag101 View Post
We use a cheaper solution. We bought a Brita pitcher with filter. Plenty enough for a pot of coffee or cooking. Water runs through filter quickly and has no taste. It could at least be a temporary fix for you. We buy a 3 pack of filters. We replace it when we go on a new trip. One easily lasts a week of constant use of five people.
I'm in agreement here. I use a Brita pitcher at my office, as our village tap seems a tad dicey to me. The water filters through it fast enough.... much like running through a coffee-maker.... and it comes out clean, tasteless and odor-free. I purchase the filters in 3-packs also, from Amazon. If you only need it for drinking, teeth-brushing and coffee-making, this is the easiest way to go. If you need more water than the pitcher holds, get another container to pour it into, but with how fast it processes, the pitcher should be sufficient.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:57 PM   #49

Model: Fourwinds 31W
THOR #12104
LOL Lovin the humor on this forum! Thanks!!!
Old 06-26-2018, 01:13 PM   #50

Model: Freedom Elite
THOR #1616
We use an INLINE FILTER on the outside of the rv on the end closest to the rv. On the inside, I use a Pur faucet filter. We have been all over the country and always have good tasting water. I do carry a couple gallons just in case and refill water bottles for fridge.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:28 PM   #51

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I sold commercial trucks for years, and as you can imagine, have seen every type of commercial truck body and application that exist. One of my most significant memories was the tour of the "Water Reclamation Plant" in a given large city. Amazing how many millions of times our water has gone full circle, corn squeezed out, and replaced back into the drinking water system...which is only as good as the equipment used and the honesty of the plant operators. I haven't consumed or cooked with any municipal "tap" water in many,many years. We drink certified bottled spring water only. Even the "filtered water" in bottles is nothing but tap water. It's costly and carrying around a couple cases in the basement is bulky but it's just what we do. Two bottles a day makes a fine pot of coffee and the convenience of packing a few bottles for an excursion isn't a problem.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:38 PM   #52
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Here's a solution that my Missus likes:

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1530020319
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dd4eb5e7fc9705f6f41215b48a1dfb82.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	11012  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:52 PM   #53

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHpink2 View Post
We use an INLINE FILTER on the outside of the rv on the end closest to the rv. On the inside, I use a Pur faucet filter. We have been all over the country and always have good tasting water. I do carry a couple gallons just in case and refill water bottles for fridge.
A long time ago I used to be stationed overseas in Spain and while I was there I was trying to figure out how to put my clothes washer in the apartment off base. There was a big space next to the sink with electricity in an outlet nearby, but no water for the washer. There was water at the sink though. Ok I found a Plastic Push on / pull off fitting in a hardware store (it was really a Spanish type of Walmart and these plastic 'fittings' were very common because they dont use the metal outlets like we have here). Then I got a fitting that pushed over the water faucet to the sink. OK, so i attached the water lines to the washer, then to a 'Y' splitter, then the 'y' fitting to the Push on outlet, then pushed it onto the fitting covering the faucet and I finally had the water from the kitchen sink going to the clothes washer then. I never have seen those Push on/ pull off plastic fittings here in America cause we use metal fittings and screw them on, which can get cross threaded and if not tight, will leak. Plus you need to add rubber washers inside the hoses. The plastic Push on fittings there did not need the rubber washer inside and didn't need to be tightened either. Lasted a long time too. Maybe the RV folks should think about the Push on /Pull off fittings they use there? Push on the hose to the water, then Push it on to the RV. Easy. To remove, pull them off. They use plastic plumbing now for the RVs, but they use the screw on fittings outside, so why not the Push on fittings instead? Not Invented Here syndrome?
Old 06-26-2018, 04:06 PM   #54

Model: 38kt
State: Indiana
THOR #11481
I use a Britta pitcher and keep in fridge. Ice cold.