Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2018, 11:54 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Insufficient Gasoline Range

I’m wondering if others dismiss possible RV choices for such “trivial” design flaws as poor range between fill-ups?

There’s a motorhome with a 25-gallon fuel tank that may get 12 MPG on a good day, which is only 300 miles to empty, or about 250 miles between fill ups — at most.

Anyway, the idea of buying a motorhome with a maximum fuel range of about 250 miles seems unwise to me. I know that most buyers drive short distances and only during the day, but for a “Touring” vehicle, shouldn't range this low be a deal breaker? There’s a reason Ford upgraded to 80 gallons on F-53 years back, right? These bigger rigs can go up to 600 miles, which is more than twice the distance.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:07 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Range is an issue, most lose generator fuel at 1/4 tank. I usually go 250 to 300 miles with our Vegas @ 9 to 11 MPG. I have gone further but prefer to stop to stretch legs.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:44 AM   #3

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I agree that range is important. I have driven two RVs to Alaska and back and a 400+ mile range is really important on some of the routes in Northern Canada and Alaska. Route 37 from Whitehorse to Rt 16 has 250-300 miles between gas - depending on the month you travel. If you rely on the next gas station actually having gas, you could be out of luck.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:15 AM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I've got nearly 700 mile range and feel it's a minimum. 250 is horrible.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:32 AM   #5

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Our range is only about 375 miles full to empty ( 15mpg X 25 Gal.). I find myself topping off at 250 -275 miles. Actually I haven't even thought about it until now. Doesn't bother me. Like Muggs siggested, I need to get out and stretch a bit.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:49 PM   #6

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
Our range is only about 375 miles full to empty ( 15mpg X 25 Gal.). I find myself topping off at 250 -275 miles. Actually I haven't even thought about it until now. Doesn't bother me. Like Muggs siggested, I need to get out and stretch a bit.

Thanks, that’s good information to consider.

I found a small motorhome model that piqued my interest, but I’m not sure it’s even worth making the effort to see one. Like yours, it’s on Ford Transit chassis, but gasoline V6 — which I’d prefer except for range.

Knowing that diesels normally get 20~40% higher MPG when everything else is similar (according to Cummins), your 250 to 275 mile range suddenly becomes 180 ~ 230 under normal driving conditions.

Maybe I’m being too picky because my first car didn’t go much more than that, but I also didn’t tour the country in it. With my present van I refuel about every 400 miles, and pushed it close to 500 miles once. Regarding stretching, I do stop more often than when refueling. I’m not sure the two are quite the same when touring out west, or when driving late at night. I don’t do it often any more, but can refuel at 10 or 11 PM and drive until early morning without getting out. I don’t like fuel stops at 2 or 3 AM. Being limited to ~ 3 hours of driving between gas stops seems like it should be a deal breaker.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:53 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Which rig are we talking about?
A 25 gallon tank, and only 12 mpg: I'm not coming up with one...
(But it's most likely just me! )

I know that my rig has a 55 gallon tank: I comfortably cover 400 miles in a day, and have enough left in the tank for those "unplanned happenings" along the way...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:00 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
I agree that fuel range sould be a consideration for people who do some traveling. We have made 3 trips to the west coast, from Vermont, and even in the lower 48 there are, or were, several stretches of over 100 miles between gas stations.

If you are expecting 12mpg i think this is very optimistic. We range between 8 an 10 mpg with about 9 being average. Of course my rig is 12 years old but the same engines are still being used.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:58 PM   #9

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbear View Post

.....cut.....

If you are expecting 12mpg i think this is very optimistic. We range between 8 an 10 mpg with about 9 being average. Of course my rig is 12 years old but the same engines are still being used.

Tenbear, it’s a lot smaller than your 28A; which by the way I like a lot, but is too large for us most of the time. We’ve rented the 28A a few times from Cruise America when we needed more space, but most of time prefer traveling much smaller.

The one I’m refering to is powered by 3.7L V6, not a V10. It’s also much narrower and lower than your 28A, and also like yours without slides should be fairly light.

You’re right that 12 MPG may be optimistic depending on speed, but it’s what owners have reported for these smaller B+ touring coaches.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:24 PM   #10

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Which rig are we talking about?
A 25 gallon tank, and only 12 mpg: I'm not coming up with one...
(But it's most likely just me! )

.....cut.....
It’s a B+ by Coachmen. I haven’t looked at it other than on Internet, and may not. It’s size does split the difference between a van and Axis, so that’s a big plus. However, we are also not big fans of the Ford Transit cab for motorhome use. Maybe recent revisions have helped — don’t know.

At 24 feet it’s the same length as my previous “C” but narrower and lower, and seems roomy in pictures for 2 people by sacrificing the bedroom. I also like the forward facing seats, no slide, and space to occassionally sleep 2 children, but it would come down to how easy the queen bed was to lower, and whether getting in it was easy as we get older.

I like the overall packaging, but not sure about the details. It may be worth a look. Other than not having a bicycle garage and permanent beds (like Euro units that size), it’s close to what I’ve been looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41899D30-71F4-4203-8F0B-C09032474652.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	10956  
Old 06-23-2018, 03:57 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I DO like the looks of the interior...
I gather that you're not a fan of any of the Sprinter chassis based units?
Old 06-23-2018, 04:18 PM   #12

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
It’s a B+ by Coachmen. I haven’t looked at it other than on Internet, and may not. It’s size does split the difference between a van and Axis, so that’s a big plus. However, we are also not big fans of the Ford Transit cab for motorhome use. Maybe recent revisions have helped — don’t know.

At 24 feet it’s the same length as my previous “C” but narrower and lower, and seems roomy in pictures for 2 people by sacrificing the bedroom. I also like the forward facing seats, no slide, and space to occassionally sleep 2 children, but it would come down to how easy the queen bed was to lower, and whether getting in it was easy as we get older.

I like the overall packaging, but not sure about the details. It may be worth a look. Other than not having a bicycle garage and permanent beds (like Euro units that size), it’s close to what I’ve been looking for.
just curious..how many seats are forward facing? In the picture, I really only see one, unless the other captains chair spins around.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:50 PM   #13

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
I didn't realize you were considering a Class B. Before we bought our 28A we had a small trailer. We found it to be too small. We couldn't both stand up together and we wanted a bedroom. The 28A suits our needs. You might want to rent a Class B and give it a test.

Hope you find what suits you.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:57 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
After looking at Coachman's website: I've got to say that their Concord Model really caught my eye...
If I didn't need/want a toyhauler; that is!
Old 06-23-2018, 04:59 PM   #15

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandG View Post
just curious..how many seats are forward facing? In the picture, I really only see one, unless the other captains chair spins around.
Excellent question — it spins but don’t know how far. Some pictures show at 90 degrees, but there may not be enough leg room to face forward. Those are the kind of details I’d check out for sure before serious consideration.

There was an Axis/Vegas (think it was 24.2 floorplan) that had similar seat arrangement. They would both face forward. I’d personally love to see a 24.1 with these seats as a 2-person dinette in place of slide.

P.S. — The bed design is very interesting, but if the two seats don’t get out of the way to allow bed to lower much lower, then it wouldn’t matter to me anyway. I hope it goes down near couch height.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3AA65A31-6D82-4FBA-8109-48E22C4A5B14.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	10958  
Old 06-24-2018, 12:24 PM   #16

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
.....cut.....

P.S. — The bed design is very interesting, but if the two seats don’t get out of the way to allow bed to lower much lower, then it wouldn’t matter to me anyway. I hope it goes down near couch height.

In fairness to Coachmen designers, they appear to have paid attention to details in order to make this unique bed more versatile. In previous picture, the bed was stopped rather high so that the jackknife couch could be used for additional sleeping.

However, I had noticed that bed guide rails attached to bulkhead extended much lower, and sure enough found a sales picture showing the queen bed will drop down between seat backs all the way to couch level. When a couple is traveling alone the bed looks plenty low to get in without use of a ladder or step. It also makes it possible to sit on the bed, and not have A/C vents right on you.

While this motorhome won’t work for us (couldn't even get it in and out of my driveway), I do like to see thoughtful designs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	78647270-1FB9-4940-A9CB-F8C441BCD940.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	10978  
Old 06-24-2018, 02:15 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Now you've got me curious about your driveway! What would make it so tough?
Old 06-24-2018, 03:00 PM   #18

THOR #2121
It’s not so much that my driveways are that unusual, as much as this motorhome has a long rear that is very low. Building a 24-footer on 156-inch wheelbase is probably not that unusual, but this Transit-based motorhome seems lower than most. With rear bath the drain lines are close to back end, and I’m certain something back there would bottom out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	931CAECC-55BB-4A6D-93EF-2A518C208A5D.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	10980  
Old 06-24-2018, 03:02 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
How about some really heavy duty air shocks; that you can pump up for the driveway chores?
Old 06-24-2018, 04:12 PM   #20

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10254
It seems like that unit is very close to checking off a lot on your list.

This is more of a question than a suggestion...would they make a lift kit that would be sturdy enough?

If not, what about air bags, like the DP's have? I've read where others have put those on gassers. I'm guessing that gets a little pricey though.

Just a thought.