Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2017, 03:14 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: Oregon
THOR #2824
Possible critter in the under carriage

About 3:30 one recent morning I woke up to a sound I'd never heard in the motor home before. It sounded like it was in the under carriage, and it sounded like some kind of a critter was wandering around chewing on stuff and pulling insulation from somewhere. I stomped on the floor in various places but couldn't get it to stop (and of course couldn't go back to sleep!) The wind was blowing moderately and at first I thought that's what it might have been, but the more I laid there and dozed, and heard the sounds, the more I thought it had to be a critter. I'm thinking a mouse - don't know where from since I was in an RV park not known for mice.....and I'd been there for nearly 2 weeks without moving the motor home. Question here is, where do I start looking? I've been under the MH as best I can and see nothing out of place. On my ACE 29.4 there is location where there is no insulation or anything - near the fresh water drain - and if he's (or she!) in there, that's possibly where it got in.
I'm planning on winterizing soon and don't want the critter in there getting cozy with my insulation or wiring or furnace ducting........and ew, consider the smell if it doesn't survive the winter.
ANY suggestions, within reason, would be appreciated. If only I could build a better mouse trap.....that would avoid wiring and everything else when it slammed shut!

Old 09-30-2017, 01:58 PM   #2

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
If you think you have (1) you probably have ten! Get some D-con to "Get'em all"! https://www.amazon.com/Reckitt-D-Con...P5ZPXJ3DH7XSBB
Old 09-30-2017, 03:19 PM   #3

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Yep, you need to treat soon. If you have pets, be very careful they do not get into anything you use.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:00 PM   #4

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
We drove home from a weekend of camping last summer. Next day a black snake was sitting next to RV. It then climbed under my car and disappeared. It was quite an adventure rehoming it. I look now before reaching into my sewer compartment as it is quite accessible around the gray and black pipes. I'm pretty sure the bugger rode the undercarriage. Creepy.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:46 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Since most critters aren't really careful with their clean-up chores: if you don't see anything hanging loose, and all of the electrics still work... you MIGHT just be okay!
But I'd set some traps, and be sure!
Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 02:39 PM   #6

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
If you think you have (1) you probably have ten! Get some D-con to "Get'em all"! https://www.amazon.com/Reckitt-D-Con...P5ZPXJ3DH7XSBB
Yeah, saw a mouse in my house one winter so I got some Dconn and put out in the kitchen under the sink, dishwasher, behind the cabinet...etc. They smell bad when they die and they tend to die in places you need a coat hanger to get them with. Do some research for something that makes them 'go away' instead.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:15 PM   #7

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Oregon
THOR #2824
I set two traps and both are still empty. Changed the P-butter twice and same result. Someone said to try Peppermint oil on a cotton ball. Since the coach is closed up for the winter and I can't get to places I'd want to put it, I've decided to wait until early spring when I can open everything up. Hopefully it was just the wind but I haven't had an occasion to sleep in the coach since I parked it. Thanks for your replyies.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:24 PM   #8

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
we've carried ants and mice with us to many places during our travels, they must like to RV too! We had trapped several mice in a rural wooded site we sat at for several months, and thought we had them all done in, until... we packed up and drove north 5 states, dropped anchor, and wondering if I had caught them all before we left, put out several more traps - next morning, several more were had in!
And don't get me started on ANTS, they may be worse!

I have tried and tried to find every hole and place imaginable in our coach, and every 'trick', such as peppermint, plug in devices, and spray foam, but the ONLY thing we've ever realized 'success' with is the good 'ol traps - when one is found, you KNOW you have found him!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:17 PM   #9

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I use bags of moth balls...they come 2 in a box...and place them strategically around the motorhome. I place them in any compartment that could have access into the RV...including the engine compartment, when in storage.

I leave them in the sewer compartment all year and the compartment where the power cord extends. They definitely do not like the smell. I haven't see any rodents, damage or droppings in or around the RV since I began doing this...for years.