Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2019, 03:49 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
a NEW! Thor (or mid-west manufactured RV) purchased in California means that it starts it's “in-service” date with 2,400 miles on the odometer.

When I was looking at NEW! RV’s last year, some were filthy with broken parts and missing pieces.

We told the salesman...”I’ll get back to you”
Only to never return & head to the next RV lot until we found what we were looking for, and at the best possible price.

Purchasing “last year’s NEW! model” at a greatly reduced price, favorable interest rate, and lower registration fees is what we did.

One last thing...
Three different dealers (along with Good Sam) quoted me interest rates that varied as much as 1.5% (saving us $40+ per month on a $50k/20yr loan)
Something to also consider when shopping around

Old 01-27-2019, 04:24 PM   #22

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
a NEW! Thor (or mid-west manufactured RV) purchased in California means that it starts it's “in-service” date with 2,400 miles on the odometer.

When I was looking at NEW! RV’s last year, some were filthy with broken parts and missing pieces.

We told the salesman...”I’ll get back to you”
Only to never return & head to the next RV lot until we found what we were looking for, and at the best possible price.

Purchasing “last year’s NEW! model” at a greatly reduced price, favorable interest rate, and lower registration fees is what we did.

One last thing...
Three different dealers (along with Good Sam) quoted me interest rates that varied as much as 1.5% (saving us $40+ per month on a $50k/20yr loan)
Something to also consider when shopping around
When we looked at our 2018 Axis at a recent local RV show, they had 4.9% financing, with a corresponding monthly payment advertisement, posted on the RV.

We decided to buy it, based on the 4.9% rate (and we both have top tier credit scores), only to be told later by the finance guy that they didn't offer a 4.9% loan, and that 5.9% was the best we could get.

After mentioning their posted 4.9% sign on the RV and the term"fraudulent advertising", we miraculously had a loan at 4.9%.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:34 PM   #23

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
reminds me of the time I found a very attractive Diesel fuel price, filled up, and then saw the receipt showed 10cents per gallon higher - went inside, stomped my feet, demanded a refund, and wasn’t quiet about it either - the clerk simply responded that they had forgot to change the sign, and the pump price/my receipt was correct.
...nevertheless, they eventually and reluctantly gave me my refund for the overcharge, without any apology, of course - and they still did not change the sign.

for a large tank, that can easily be $5 to $7 in overcharges
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:53 PM   #24

State: Alabama
THOR #12479
Thank you all for your input.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:18 PM   #25

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Did you get the "MSO" when you took delivery? This is proof is was never titled but not proof it was never partially sold.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:21 PM   #26

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
reminds me of the time I found a very attractive Diesel fuel price, filled up, and then saw the receipt showed 10cents per gallon higher - went inside, stomped my feet, demanded a refund, and wasn’t quiet about it either - the clerk simply responded that they had forgot to change the sign, and the pump price/my receipt was correct.
...nevertheless, they eventually and reluctantly gave me my refund for the overcharge, without any apology, of course - and they still did not change the sign.

for a large tank, that can easily be $5 to $7 in overcharges
Old 01-27-2019, 10:44 PM   #27

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
It happens. We looked at an RV this week that had frozen urine in the toilet. The dealer apologized profusely but said it happens all the time. They leave units open on the lots on weekends so customers can browse. Some folks (whose mamas should be ashamed of them!) apparently can’t be bothered to go back to the showroom when they have to go. Salesman said he’s even seen “the other”! Some people!
Old 01-27-2019, 11:31 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Did you get the "MSO" when you took delivery? This is proof is was never titled but not proof it was never partially sold.
Yup! (Nice catch: Gritz!)
If you t a title, and not an M.S.O.: your rig was previously owned...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:23 AM   #29

THOR #12479
I was given a copy of the title application that was sent to the state. The application states that the MSO was attached. I don't have a copy of the MSO though.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:38 AM   #30
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If you got that paperwork: your rig was in fact, not a pre-owned one.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:07 AM   #31

THOR #12479
Thank you, Bob for that definitive statement. I appreciate it.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:00 PM   #32

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #3721
Look at the odometer and see what the miles are. That would help.
Also, dealers often take units to sales and shows and live in them while they are on display at those locations.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:43 PM   #33

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
You can also call Thor and see if the unit was registered for warranty. We found through Carfax that our unit had 2 previous owners rather than one as the dealer had indicated. We had to,pay for it but DO NOT buy a coach without that report. It will also give other information on services performed I think. If the dealer not provide the vin number to get the report walk away!!!!

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:32 AM   #34

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
When I bought my used 32 ft class A I bought the car fax report (cost $39 as I remember). I’m glad I did because it’s a big purchase and you never know. But it didn’t tell me much that was very interesting. That’s a good thing I guess! First owner had it for nearly 3 years and put less than 3000 miles on it. Second owner had it for 8 months and added nearly 10000 miles more. Dealer said they traded for a big diesel pusher because they were going to full time. Don’t know if he really knew that or just made a happy story to make the sale. Point being to find out all you can then make the most informed decision you can. There is a certain amount of risk with ANY RV purchase, new or used.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:09 PM   #35

State: California
THOR #6993
Tires

Sitting as long as it did you’ll likely have at least a couple tires separate. They can tear up wheel wells and sewer pipes or whatever nearby. I’ve also read that if they are new but 2 years old banks consider them used. I used that angle to get a very favorable deal.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:26 PM   #36
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by f troop 8th cav View Post
Look at the odometer and see what the miles are. That would help.
Also, dealers often take units to sales and shows and live in them while they are on display at those locations.
Mileage might turn out to be a pretty "iffy" yardstick...
These critters get driven to their dealership...
Any transfer from one dealership to another, is also "over the road..."

My new rig has just over 1300 miles on it already. All via delivery to Amsterdam, NY.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:46 PM   #37

THOR #12479
Quote:
Originally Posted by cullingby9 View Post
Sitting as long as it did you’ll likely have at least a couple tires separate. They can tear up wheel wells and sewer pipes or whatever nearby. I’ve also read that if they are new but 2 years old banks consider them used. I used that angle to get a very favorable deal.
It wasn't actually "sitting" for a long time. The unit was at the dealership for less than 6 months. It was test driven for approximately 400 miles during that time along with 560 miles accrued during delivery from the factory.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:48 PM   #38
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucita white View Post
It wasn't actually "sitting" for a long time. The unit was at the dealership for less than 6 months. It was test driven for approximately 400 miles during that time along with 560 miles accrued during delivery from the factory.
400 miles of test driving in 6 months seems like a lot to me. How long is a typical test drive? 5 miles?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:51 AM   #39

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I've seen lots of brand new cars during the summer in PCB with "dealer tags" on them. I'm sure RV dealer principals take them on vacation also. Boats just as well. You'll never get the truth about miles. At the Atlanta NASCAR Race last year, there was a huge 5th wheel 2 units down from us. It was brand new, unsold, untitled and being used by a sales-goober and his friends from a local (very close to the track) RV dealer. His friends were actually bragging about how often they "try out" different units...and..."if I could afford one, this is what I'd buy". The sales-goober said he brought it to the race for advertising. Do your research and live by your commitment. It's yours once you leave the lot. I would venture to bet...less than 10% of what comes from an RV sales-goober's mouth is the truth...and that's giving them the benefit of the doubt.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:44 PM   #40
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It's already been mentioned...
But a quick call to Thor Customer Service to voice your concerns, and they'll be able to tell you which dealership the rig in question was shipped to.
It might help to account for the unexplained mileage...