Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2014, 12:50 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.2
State: Ohio
THOR #1001
Treat your Motor Coach like a ship

I mentioned this in one thread,thought I would do it one more time. My wife and I are new to the RV scene. We have a THOR ACE,and love it. With the exception of a door issue,we are good so far.
Here is my point. I know many of you men,and women were/are military.
Sailors in particular will know what I mean.
As a 4year Coast Guard vet from years back,I can tell you there are countless systems on a ship that need periodic maintainance,repair,and replacement. Your coach isn't alot different. Unlike your Volvo,vw,KIA,Mercedes,etc.....that may go on for thousands of miles with some minor maintainance,(tires,etc.),your coach is much different. Its big and it bounces.It twists,and flexes. Ships are big and they bounce. They twist ,and they flexThey are full of electrical circuits,water systems,sewer,TVs,generators,heaters,water heaters,pumps....etc...you get the picture. If you dont learn to work on it yourself,be prepared to drop some $$$.
A ship carries a large crew for many jobs,including CONSTANT maintainance. You have yourself,and maybe a spouse/sig.other to help you. So there you go. Buckle up,damn the torpedoes,full speed ahead(sort of),and have fun,and quit bit*&ing!!).
I have not gone back to THOR for any issues. Our dealership has been great on any(one )warranty problems. Thats what they are there for.
Be safe!!
TR

Old 11-07-2014, 03:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
One thing that always amazed me (downsizing from a small "yacht" to a motorhome) is that in boats, there are minimum standards promulgated by the US Coast Guard (33CFR183), which perhaps you are aware of.

In the electrical section of that regulation, you must only use stranded wire, and only certain connectors (i.e. no twist on connectors).

But in my coach, it uses solid wire for the 120VAC wiring, and those prohibited (in boats) twist on connectors.

I realize that as you stated - boats have such standards as solid electrical wiring is prone to breakage due to vibration and such.

However, hitting potholes traveling at highway speeds to me seems like it would be just as bad as running through rough water in a boat.

So I am confused why there are no similar minimum standards - at least recommended practices by the RVIA (RV Industry Association) that would also specify stranded wiring throughout.

I suppose though, if you were 10 miles out in a boat and had an electrical fire due to solid wiring - it would be more dangerous than if your RV catches fire running down the road.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I have wondered the same thing going back to my days as a popup camper owner. Never understood the use of romex and solid wire. Obviously proven over the years and millions.... no probably billions or trillions of miles.....to be ok..... not great, but ok
Old 11-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by timr View Post
As a 4year Coast Guard vet from years back
TR
when and where did you serve? I'm a CG bratt.... dad served from 1957 to 1979
Old 11-07-2014, 09:51 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
I guess it all comes down to safety. If your RV catches fire driving down the road, you can pull over and bail out.

But if your boat catches fire 10 miles from shore, you are in deep Kimchi.