Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2019, 03:30 PM   #21

State: Arizona
THOR #7430
Nat parks limited to 30 feet. Dont go bigger for occasional camping trips.

Old 07-22-2019, 04:13 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamperjan View Post
Nat parks limited to 30 feet. Don't go bigger for occasional camping trips.
From Cumberland Gap National Park--
Many of the sites are large enough to accommodate an RV or trailer of up to 50 feet. Most sites require backing, site C4 is a pull through site.
Been there and 50% of the sites will accommodate a 45 ft RV. Plenty of room for our RV, dolly and toad in the site.

Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:21 PM   #23

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
From Cumberland Gap National Park--
Many of the sites are large enough to accommodate an RV or trailer of up to 50 feet. Most sites require backing, site C4 is a pull through site.
Been there and 50% of the sites will accommodate a 45 ft RV. Plenty of room for our RV, dolly and toad in the site.
Yes there are National Park campgrounds that can accommodate any size rig. They're also many that cannot. Most of the National Parks and National Forest Campgrounds were developed long before people were pulling 35' 5r's and driving 40' motorhomes. Many of the National Parks, Yellowstone, Glacier, Olympic to name a few, have size restrictions in some of there campgrounds. There are also many beautiful National Forest campsites that a big class A just won't fit in or will not be allowed to try. Depending on your style of camping size is a consideration. Not trying to be argumentative but a first time buyer needs to be aware of these possible issues.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:30 PM   #24

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #11784
If I had to do it all over again, I'd watch the bulletin boards like this one for folks wanting to sell they're RV. Before purchasing you could review the poster and see if they are a broker or an actual RV'er just looking to hang it up, trade it up, etc.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:35 PM   #25

THOR #11784
As far as which parks, my wife and I love the state parks and they are usually $20 to $30 dollars per night. Maybe I'm prejudiced but Florida has some really outstanding state parks. The sites are usually plenty spacious and they have foliage separating the sites so one feels like they are fairly alone. The showers have been 98% very clean and very nice. North Florida especially has some very cool springs that are a constant year round 74 degrees.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:35 PM   #26

Model: Miramar 34.2
THOR #6605
Here is my nickles worth...........
I own a 2015 Thor Miramar, similar to the Hurricane. W/O question u will need to upgrade ur suspension.
I tried to put it off and did so for about 1 1/2 yrs and now regret having waited.

<Safe t Plus stabalizer
<Roadmaster Anti sway bars Ft/bck
<Sumo Springs

This will make a world if difference at about 3-4 K installed.

-Carlos
Old 07-26-2019, 08:58 PM   #27

Brand: Still Looking
State: Illinois
THOR #16014
How much for parts only? Can these be installed without a certified technician? How complex is it?

Where did you get your parts?

TIA
Old 07-28-2019, 08:22 PM   #28

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeff View Post
Hi -

I’m a family of 4 (3 and 7 yr old) who are looking to get a RV for occasional vacationers. Plan to visit local areas around state of Illinois with plans to go on one or two longer trips per year.

On occasion my parents will use it and could be with us so planning that in as well.

Key things we are looking for is

- outside kitchen
- outside tv and speakers, bigger bathroom shower. Prefer sink separate to toilet/shower.

I’ve been looking at a 2017 Thor motor coach hurricane 34p for sale that I feel fits are needs on what we are looking for. I’d like feedback on over quality of this unit to anyone that has them? Both mechanical, interior, exterior. How is customer service?

Here are the specs. Selling at $75k with a private seller. Priced right or feel I could get at lower price?

ONLY 1,343 miles, V-10 gas, 34ft interior 36ft exterior, Transferable Corner Stone Warranty 10-27-2021, Transferable tire shield warranty 10-27-2021, king bed, outside kitchen w/refrigerator and sink,residential refrigerator inside w/ice maker, 3 LED televisions, double sinks in bathroom, private toilet and shower, DVD, 2 AC’s, quick connect propane hookup for grill, auto leveling, generator, pull out pantry, Stackable washer and dryer, Gas stove and oven, outside shower, electric slide down full bunk, Sofa fold out bed, Dinette fold down bed, 20ft Electric awning w/remote, back up camera and side mirror cameras heated, 2 slide outs, large microwave, inside outside speakers, satellite, electric retractable entrance step, lots of under carriage storage, Tow package w/break system, 7 seatbelts, sleeps 8, stored in heated barn,.
This unit currently sells for $69,000 to $83,000 at average. I think at $75,000 you might show up (after testing/inspection) with $70,000 and drive it home. Here is a nice maneuver to try. Send a family member to look it over and offer the guy $65,000. 2-3 days later send a friend to look it over and offer the guy $60,000. Then after 2 more days you go and offer him $70,000. I bet he takes it.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:39 PM   #29

Model: Miramar 34.2
THOR #6605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeff View Post
How much for parts only? Can these be installed without a certified technician? How complex is it?

Where did you get your parts?

TIA
Roughly speaking $6-800 for Safe t plus, $600 for Road master stabalizer & about $14-1500 for front & back Sumo springs. With Sumo springs I recommend u call & order from them directly. They r gr8 when it comes to questions/customer service and they ensure u get what u need. I guess about $25-2700
Not very difficult. I had the Safe t plus installed and did the Sumos & stabalizer myself.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:10 PM   #30

THOR #15668
Buying RV is not like buying a car. It is more like buying a house.
1. Home inspection
2. List out all thr defects and fixed
3. Negotiate the fix included
4. When you sign and drive it is yours. No take backs.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:35 PM   #31

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
Catching up reading and responding.
First, ignore the anti-Thor trolls...
Second, dealers usually pay ~$20k less than Private Party
Third, I'd also recommend offering $65k but pay no more than $70k
Forth, I absolutely agree with a previews poster who said "what feels a little small, but acceptable at first, will feel tiny and unbearable after you've had it for a while" and other issues.
Finally, many places we like to go have sites for 30' but have 6'+ overhang past the curb (back in), which is why we looked for RVs as close to 35' as possible (ours is 34' 7"). The key is to try to research in person or through some reviews, which can you can fit in. We respond we are 30' if asked, because we know we fit before we go.
Good luck and great adventures with your family!
Old 07-30-2019, 05:19 PM   #32
Administrator

Brand: Airstream
Model: Overlander
State: Washington
THOR #2
Folks we've removed a few offtopic posts - we now return to regularly scheduled programming
Old 08-04-2019, 03:06 PM   #33

State: North Carolina
THOR #14072
Price sounds reasonable hopefully the ptrvious owner had all issues fixed while under warranty. We bought a Thor Miramar 35.2 new and it has been in shop 7 months and still counting, but hopefully the issues will be resolved when we get it back.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:46 PM   #34

State: Kentucky
THOR #15113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdarden View Post
Price sounds reasonable hopefully the ptrvious owner had all issues fixed while under warranty. We bought a Thor Miramar 35.2 new and it has been in shop 7 months and still counting, but hopefully the issues will be resolved when we get it back.

A dealer has had it for 7 months??? ... and all while the cost of ownership keeps going.. gee would seem in that timeframe, they could take apart piece by piece and reassemble... did you ever get to use it?
Does states lemon laws apply to motorhomes?
Old 08-04-2019, 04:30 PM   #35

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolbert1 View Post
Buying RV is not like buying a car. It is more like buying a house.
1. Home inspection
2. List out all thr defects and fixed
4. When you sign and drive it is yours. No take backs.
When I buy a Car.... (new or used)

1. Auto inspection
2. List out all the defects and fixes needed
4. When I sign and drive; it is titled in my name. No take backs.

I think the difference is when I buy a car, as part of my auto inspection I might not bother to check that the door locks work, that the battery is in good condition, AC blowing right temperature, light in car trunk turns on / off, 12v adapters are all working etc. because I assume they are; and if they are not I know the dealer will fix right away with urgency. With RV Mfgs, most new RV buyers don't know and don't micro inspect; and then may spend months trying to get a dealer to resolve under warranty. Ultimately some folks with the ability will fix the problems identified themselves.

To me the latter while makes sense for those that can, only perpetuates and enables the problem with the industry. It is akin to why telemarketers continue to call 1000s of numbers, some people will buy. As long as RV Mfgs are not accountable for all of these defects; they will continue to follow the path of the least expense for them, which is throw the RVs together as quickly and cheaply as possible, wait until sold to see what the customer can catch that they did wrong (PDI), fix those items and hope to survive 12 months before anything else is caught. Or if they lucky; owner grows frustrated and sells to another poor soul before it was all fixed, and new owner is on their own to fix with no warranty.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:19 PM   #36

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinetmkr View Post
A dealer has had it for 7 months??? ... and all while the cost of ownership keeps going.. gee would seem in that timeframe, they could take apart piece by piece and reassemble... did you ever get to use it?
Does states lemon laws apply to motorhomes?
Read thru these forums and this kind of behavior is quite normal. People even think it is normal to take their coach back to factory, at their own expense, for repairs.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:45 PM   #37

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
To Buy or Not to Buy, that is the Question!

Well consider this. Yes it is nice to drive America in your own RV seeing all the wonderful things there are to see in our great country. A good RV is going to cost new or used depending on variables like year, make, model condition upwards of $100,000. How much will you actually use it? Few times a year for say 10 years?

Now for the same $100,000 you could go on vacation a few times a year by flying to great locations in America as well as include a trip to Europe, South America or even Africa. Domestic 3-5 day vacations typically (excluding Hawaii) run $2,000 or less depending on airline, accommodations etc...

5-8 days in England, France, Germany Belgium and a few other European destinations run in the $10,000 range for a couple with accomodations, food, air and sometimes a great tour. You can even catch a Viking Cruise up one of the famous European rivers lasting 8-14 days with stops, tours, food (great food) airfare, transportation and first class cabin for $8-$12,000.

So if you are considering buying a $100,000-$350,000 or more RV, think about what you want to see/do and how often you can do it. RV ownership is not for everyone. Personally I like to travel America with an occasional trip over seas. Hope this helps. Enjoy life whatever you do!
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:21 PM   #38

Model: Chateau 31E
THOR #7936
Send a message via ICQ to macgyvr Send a message via AIM to macgyvr
Late to the party...

The thing that I would throw out is where are your kids going to sleep?

Mine are almost 4 and almost 7...bunks should be a consideration. The Thor 34J is similar to what you are looking at, but has bunks. Bunks are like a dream come true. The kids have a place to sleep that is their space. You don't have to make their bed up at night or tear them down in the morning. It's a godsend. We currently have a Thor 31E, a class C with bunks. It's not as big as the Hurricane and doesn't have the outdoor kitchen. The 34J was a model that we considered, but I could never find one anywhere near me in stock. I was able to buy the 31E at a year old and 4k miles saving thousands of dollars. My mother passed away in February, so my Dad has gone camping with us all summer. He sleeps in the over head class C bunk and it works. But we are considering going back to something larger and the 34J is on my radar again...

mac '50 cents of thoughts' gyvr
Old 08-06-2019, 12:22 PM   #39

THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Well consider this. Yes it is nice to drive America in your own RV seeing all the wonderful things there are to see in our great country. A good RV is going to cost new or used depending on variables like year, make, model condition upwards of $100,000. How much will you actually use it? Few times a year for say 10 years?

Now for the same $100,000 you could go on vacation a few times a year by flying to great locations in America as well as include a trip to Europe, South America or even Africa. Domestic 3-5 day vacations typically (excluding Hawaii) run $2,000 or less depending on airline, accommodations etc...

5-8 days in England, France, Germany Belgium and a few other European destinations run in the $10,000 range for a couple with accomodations, food, air and sometimes a great tour. You can even catch a Viking Cruise up one of the famous European rivers lasting 8-14 days with stops, tours, food (great food) airfare, transportation and first class cabin for $8-$12,000.

So if you are considering buying a $100,000-$350,000 or more RV, think about what you want to see/do and how often you can do it. RV ownership is not for everyone. Personally I like to travel America with an occasional trip over seas. Hope this helps. Enjoy life whatever you do!
Well said. My wife and I were doing the travel the world route. It was actually turning into a hassle with living out of a suitcase, hauling bags around (porters not always available), having a feeling of "rushing because our flight is tomorrow so we better do X today", etc. Then we bought the RV and now everything is more relaxed and we can be even be more spontaneous, but also well planned when we want. No packing suitcases, drives to airports, worrying about plane delays, worrying about strange beds, eating every meal at restaurants. No thanks to that route of traveling etc. The RV life is for me!