Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2022, 12:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 35MQ
State: Florida
THOR #21743
Power at post tripping

While storing my RV, the power is consistently tripping. I am using 30amp power with an adapter to hook up to my 50amp cord. I am not running any major appliances, simply trying to keep my batteries topped off. It seems to be fine in the beginning when I plug in, but it eventually trips the breaker on the outlet. When I am camping and plug in to 50amp power, everything seems fine.

Old 09-07-2022, 12:11 PM   #2

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Make sure and turn all power off from inside coach, if still pops.

If using an adapter from 50 to 30 amp replace it. Then replace the breaker.

Good luck
Old 09-07-2022, 12:32 PM   #3

THOR #21743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Grampa View Post
Make sure and turn all power off from inside coach, if still pops.

If using an adapter from 50 to 30 amp replace it. Then replace the breaker.

Good luck
I will try that. "The Breaker" meaning the breaker at the post, correct?
Old 09-07-2022, 07:27 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
Quote:
Originally Posted by robebur View Post
While storing my RV, the power is consistently tripping. I am using 30amp power with an adapter to hook up to my 50amp cord. I am not running any major appliances, simply trying to keep my batteries topped off. It seems to be fine in the beginning when I plug in, but it eventually trips the breaker on the outlet. When I am camping and plug in to 50amp power, everything seems fine.
Is the receptable you are plugging into 30A RV or a standard 20A duplex type? If is is outside it could be ground fault which is a whole other conversation.
Old 09-07-2022, 08:43 PM   #5

THOR #21743
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumatics View Post
Is the receptable you are plugging into 30A RV or a standard 20A duplex type? If is is outside it could be ground fault which is a whole other conversation.
I am not an expert on the electrical stuff, but my guess is that it is a 30amp rv plug. It looks just like a 30amp plug you would find on a campsite.

The power stays on for a while, but it always trips eventually.
Old 09-07-2022, 09:27 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
Quote:
Originally Posted by robebur View Post
I am not an expert on the electrical stuff, but my guess is that it is a 30amp rv plug. It looks just like a 30amp plug you would find on a campsite.

The power stays on for a while, but it always trips eventually.
Could be several things:
The breaker that you reset could be bad (they do wear out over time and use).There could be a loose wire where it connects to the back of the 30A RV receptable. Would need to remove the receptable to inspect.The 30A receptable could be bad, is there any black residue or pitting on your 30A male plug? Looking inside the 30A RV receptable, any bugs or black or burnt looking contacts?Could be a loose wire at the breaker, would need to open the pedestal cover to see.

If the pedestal is somebody else's then get them to inspect it. IF yours then a simple service call with an electrician can open it all up and inspect. Loose wires can create sparking and arcing, this can cause the breaker to intermittently trip. As part of this inspection all neutrals (the white wire) and grounds (green) need to be tested to insure 100% continuity.

Good luck.