Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2017, 06:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Thor Challenger GT
State: North Dakota
THOR #6695
Powered Antenna Booster Location?

I have a 2017 Thor Challenger GT Class A motorhome and can't seem to find the powered antenna booster location, any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:46 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
I don't have your model, but where is your HDMI multimedia box located (i.e., where all of the HDMI cables for your televisions are plugged into)? For my Hurricane, it is in a narrow cupboard above the microwave. I had to move all of the cables, HDMI splitter box, and Blue-Ray player to find the antenna booster switch.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:25 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
On my Challenger 37ND it is behind the HDMI Switch. I have to get down on my knees and reach in about a foot or so to get at it.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:47 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Thor Challenger GT
State: North Dakota
THOR #6695
Powered Antenna Booster Location?

I've looked in the area where my switch box and DVD player are located and didn't see it there. When it warms up again I'll have to look a little harder. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:46 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mourhess View Post
I've looked in the area where my switch box and DVD player are located and didn't see it there. When it warms up again I'll have to look a little harder. Thanks for the info.
With mine It was against the back wall of the shelf above the fireplace. Hidden in the shadows with a black switch plate and turned off it was virtually invisible until I broke out a flashlight. It is a flat switch plate with a very small button in the middle so it was extremely hard to find.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:40 PM   #6

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Texas
THOR #6162
On my 37TB it is above the fireplace next to the video distribution box on the side wall. Mine was on a black plate but had a coax connector in the middle of it. Nothing hooked to the connector..
Old 10-09-2019, 02:45 AM   #7

State: Illinois
THOR #16949
I have a 2018 Thor Gemini . Where is the antenna booster located?
Old 10-09-2019, 12:58 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the forum!
If you take a peek behind your TV: you should see where the antenna "cable" hooks up to it. (The one that's not the power bable...)
If you follow that back to where it disappears in the wall: it should give you the best first place to look!
Happy hunting!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:36 PM   #9

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Nebraska
THOR #6107
Antenna Booster Location

We own a 2017 Thor Axis 24.1 & we can't pick up anything but educational TV.

What is a power antenna booster??
If we have one, where is it located?? And how do I work it??

Also, in the cupboard above our kitchen sink is little blue button. If I push it, it turns off. Push it again and the blue light comes on.

Does anyone know what this button is for???
Old 10-09-2019, 01:46 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Can you post a picture of it it?
That sure sounds as if it might be your antenna signal booster.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:04 PM   #11

Model: AXIS
State: Florida
THOR #16811
I have a Thor Axis 2016 is located on the cabinets above sink good luck
Old 10-09-2019, 03:05 PM   #12

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Rosey -- give us a little more info. What do you mean when you say you can only get educational tv? Does that mean that the TV only operates on one channel with no other channels available? Are you trying to use cable or the antenna? Have you scanned to identify the available channels? That little button you are describing sounds like the antenna booster.

It sounds like you never got an explanation on how the TVs work in the Axis. So here's some TV "how-to"

1. When operating on cable, the antenna booster MUST be turned off. The cable signal will not be passed if the booster is on. The booster should be a little black box on the top shelf of the cabinet above the sink, right hand wall, waaaaay in the back (you'll probably need a stool to reach it. I included a picture showing it in my 2015 Vegas 24.1. It's the black box on the left. You an see the two mounting screws and a little thing sticking out on the right side of the box. That's the antenna power button. Push it and if the light is on the booster is on. Push it again and when it goes out the booster is off. Just so you know the electrical plug you see is the plug for the microwave. The HDMI cable goes to the TV above the main door. I have a CD player I plug that into to watch movies on the TV in the living area.

2. Every time you operate the TVs you will have to do a scan to setup the available channels. And you have to do that whether using the antenna or using cable. On your TV remote you'll have to go to MENU and select the option for setting up the channels. Remember if you are setting up for CABLE select CABLE on the scan option. If setting up for the ANTENNA select AIR. When you scan it will take a while for the TV to find the available channels. Yo will have to do that for each TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna Booster & LR TV Peripheral Hookup.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	20732  
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:56 PM   #13

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Mine is not an Axis, but it has a plate with both a coax fitting and the button for the booster. Mine does not have an LED showing whether the booster is on or off, and when the coax is attached it makes the button even more difficult to find. A flashlight may be your friend in the search.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna Booster is On.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	477.5 KB
ID:	20733  
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:10 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That's a GREAT picture!
Thanks for posting it.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:08 PM   #15

THOR #6107
Antenna Booster Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Rosey -- give us a little more info. What do you mean when you say you can only get educational tv? Does that mean that the TV only operates on one channel with no other channels available? Are you trying to use cable or the antenna? Have you scanned to identify the available channels? That little button you are describing sounds like the antenna booster.

It sounds like you never got an explanation on how the TVs work in the Axis. So here's some TV "how-to"

1. When operating on cable, the antenna booster MUST be turned off. The cable signal will not be passed if the booster is on. The booster should be a little black box on the top shelf of the cabinet above the sink, right hand wall, waaaaay in the back (you'll probably need a stool to reach it. I included a picture showing it in my 2015 Vegas 24.1. It's the black box on the left. You an see the two mounting screws and a little thing sticking out on the right side of the box. That's the antenna power button. Push it and if the light is on the booster is on. Push it again and when it goes out the booster is off. Just so you know the electrical plug you see is the plug for the microwave. The HDMI cable goes to the TV above the main door. I have a CD player I plug that into to watch movies on the TV in the living area.

2. Every time you operate the TVs you will have to do a scan to setup the available channels. And you have to do that whether using the antenna or using cable. On your TV remote you'll have to go to MENU and select the option for setting up the channels. Remember if you are setting up for CABLE select CABLE on the scan option. If setting up for the ANTENNA select AIR. When you scan it will take a while for the TV to find the available channels. Yo will have to do that for each TV.
Thank you so much - this was very informative. We do have the little green light that can be pushed on/off. When I scan with the green light on for AIR channels, most of the time all I can get is ETV stations. Sometimes we can get more locals [depending on the trees around us]. I was just wondering if there was a more powerful booster to get MORE!!!
Old 10-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #16
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseyStapler View Post
Thank you so much - this was very informative. We do have the little green light that can be pushed on/off. When I scan with the green light on for AIR channels, most of the time all I can get is ETV stations. Sometimes we can get more locals [depending on the trees around us]. I was just wondering if there was a more powerful booster to get MORE!!!
By "ETV" I assume you mean Public Broadcasting as I think you (or someone else) in another thread said all they could get is "Educational TV".

What you can receive Over The Air (OTA) depend on what kind of antenna you have, which way it is pointed (for directional antennas like the batwing from Wineguard), how good your cables and connections are, and the antenna amplifier. Public TV channels tend to have stronger broadcast signals and they are more prevalent than the other OTA channels.

The short answer to your question is: No, you can't get a better amplifier for your current antenna. The amplifier is in the head of the antenna; the button you push just injects 12 VDC to power the amplifier.

Commonly there are loose connections on the cable ends both at the TVs and the splitter located behind the push button faceplate - check those first.

Realize that the RV antenna you have (which one is that by the way?) may only have a 25 mile range if it's the disk-like omnidirectional antenna whereas the Batwing with Wingman can get up to 60 miles if pointed in the right direction with no physical or atmospheric interference.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:46 AM   #17

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy12 View Post
I have a 2018 Thor Gemini . Where is the antenna booster located?
Hope you've found it! In my 2017 Gemini, it is inside the cupboard above the fridge mounted on the left wall. Nancy
Old 10-19-2019, 01:50 PM   #18

THOR #6107
Antenna Booster Location

Yes! I found it. I am now wondering if it can be replaced with a better booster Antenna that reaches farther??
Old 09-19-2023, 10:00 PM   #19

Model: A27 Freedom Traveler
State: Texas
THOR #30847
Thor A27 Freedom Traveler booster location is drawer above microwave on side wall. Took 10 minutes and a good flashlight to find it.

Tags
powered antenna booster