Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2022, 01:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: Maryland
THOR #6722
Oxidation-how to bring your RV back to life

The people on this forum have been very helpful to me since I started RV'ing I want to give something back.

My 2016 ACE 29.4 despite yearly waxes was staring to dull and had some oxidation spots. I did my research and here's how I brought it bask to like-new shine.

Tools: drywall scaffolding
dual action buffer
buffing pads
Meguiar's three step gel coat restoring system for Marine/RVs
Variety of pads (Wool, heavy cutting foam pad, polishing foam pad

Microfiber towels (lots)

After a thorough washing, I began to experiment. I had a few buffers: (7", 5" & 3") so although I'd never used a wool pad on a buffer before I gave it a shot. The cutting compound was easier to work with than I had expected. I started in the least inconspicuous place The 7" buffer was a bit unwieldy so I went down to the 5" DA (dual action) buffer and changed to a yellow foam cutting pad. Each step was easier. The polish went on and came off easier than the compound and the wax easier than the compound.

Fortunately we had a very warm November. The entire process took me around 5 days (some days I'd do 4-5 hours, some days longer. The wool pad seems to be better but I found I got good results using either the wool pad or the yellow cutting foam pad. Working off the drywall scaffold (I had purchased it with this restoration in mind (plus some household projects) was so much better (and safer) than the two ladder/board, death trap I used to work off of when waxing it.

You won't burn through the finish trust me. I was nervous and used to worry how much I would screw things up doing it myself...you won't. You can get away with just a 5" DA buffer and three pads (yellow, green and black) I used Chemical guys pads but colors are pretty much standard. Just start with a heavy cutting pad or wool pad when using the compound. Take your time you think you're never going to get finished...you will.

Old 11-13-2022, 03:53 PM   #2

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
I don't understand what you are saying......when we get to Maryland I'll swing by and you can show me on my coach!!

I'm cutting and pasting this into my "Keep This Tip" notebook. Thanks
Old 11-13-2022, 04:22 PM   #3

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleypsychRN View Post
The people on this forum have been very helpful to me since I started RV'ing I want to give something back.

My 2016 ACE 29.4 despite yearly waxes was staring to dull and had some oxidation spots. I did my research and here's how I brought it bask to like-new shine.

Tools: drywall scaffolding
dual action buffer
buffing pads
Meguiar's three step gel coat restoring system for Marine/RVs
Variety of pads (Wool, heavy cutting foam pad, polishing foam pad

Microfiber towels (lots)

After a thorough washing, I began to experiment. I had a few buffers: (7", 5" & 3") so although I'd never used a wool pad on a buffer before I gave it a shot. The cutting compound was easier to work with than I had expected. I started in the least inconspicuous place The 7" buffer was a bit unwieldy so I went down to the 5" DA (dual action) buffer and changed to a yellow foam cutting pad. Each step was easier. The polish went on and came off easier than the compound and the wax easier than the compound.

Fortunately we had a very warm November. The entire process took me around 5 days (some days I'd do 4-5 hours, some days longer. The wool pad seems to be better but I found I got good results using either the wool pad or the yellow cutting foam pad. Working off the drywall scaffold (I had purchased it with this restoration in mind (plus some household projects) was so much better (and safer) than the two ladder/board, death trap I used to work off of when waxing it.

You won't burn through the finish trust me. I was nervous and used to worry how much I would screw things up doing it myself...you won't. You can get away with just a 5" DA buffer and three pads (yellow, green and black) I used Chemical guys pads but colors are pretty much standard. Just start with a heavy cutting pad or wool pad when using the compound. Take your time you think you're never going to get finished...you will.
Pretty much what us boat owners have been doing. I still use Shurhold and 3M Marine products. Shurhold has some great videos for the beginner. The key to the 7 inch polisher is to NEVER leave it stationary. Also, one of the most common mistakes with compound is having the RPM too high and too much product.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 07:57 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Pictures

Since you were waxing, how long before you start to see the oxidation?

I have waxed mine twice a year for three years.

Thus far nothing but Meguiars #83 and #56

Generally I use #83 on the roof (fiberglass) and #56 on the side wall. I will use #83 on a spot clean or stain on sides.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 04:53 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Plenty of YouTube videos show fiberglass boat restoration. I worked in about 2 foot square sections... 2 or 3 passes with vertical strokes, then 2 or 3 passes horizontally. Overlap each "work zone".

Tip: if it's hot (if possible, don't work in direct sun), add a few drops of mineral oil (baby oil) to the pad to keep the compound from drying out as you work.

Pro tip... when you're done, check your medical plan for the best doctor for elbow and shoulder replacement...
Old 11-15-2022, 12:55 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Plenty of YouTube videos show fiberglass boat restoration. I worked in about 2 foot square sections... 2 or 3 passes with vertical strokes, then 2 or 3 passes horizontally. Overlap each "work zone".

Tip: if it's hot (if possible, don't work in direct sun), add a few drops of mineral oil (baby oil) to the pad to keep the compound from drying out as you work.

Pro tip... when you're done, check your medical plan for the best doctor for elbow and shoulder replacement...
I washed my RV yesterday for sole purpose of treating my decals with 303.

Still waiting on that last leaf to drop and I will wash the roof with sole purpose of waxing the roof with #83.

When that is done, I will wash RV again with sole purpose of waxing the RV with #56.

Still no oxidation, but roof may expose a little white if you rub it good enough. It is amazing to watch the leaf stains bleach out due to UV from the sun.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 08:16 PM   #7

Model: AXIS 25.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #6051
I would like to take the decals off and have mine wrapped. Has anyone out there done this?