Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2018, 10:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Preventing leaks under VEGAS/AXIS drivers/passengers windows

I have seen the horror stories (and pictures) of fellow VEGAS/AXIS owners who have had water damage under their windows on the DRIVERS and PASSENGER areas.

Luckily, we haven't had anything happen (yet) that we can tell, but was wanting to try and prevent it, if we can..

I know some people have said they "sealed" and "caulked" around the windows, but no one had posted a picture, and wasn't quite sure exactly where they were sealing. I know sometimes sealing the wrong thing can cause MORE damage that doing nothing.

If someone who has made this repair could explain exactly where they sealed (or better yet) if we could beg and get you to post a picture, we would be forever grateful...

Old 01-15-2018, 12:14 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
It’s too dark for a picture, but all I did to the two side front windows, was to put a large bead of silicone caulk to fill the hole between the top of the window frame and the wall. I put a smaller bead on the sides of the windows next to the wall. Just trying to stop any chance of water working it’s way between the window frame and the wall. Seems to have worked for the last two years.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:16 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
It’s too dark for a picture, but all I did to the two side front windows, was to put a large bead of silicone caulk to fill the hole between the top of the window frame and the wall. I put a smaller bead on the sides of the windows next to the wall. Just trying to stop any chance of water working it’s way between the window frame and the wall. Seems to have worked for the last two years.
I don't have pics either. After Thor repaired our window I took the screws out on the bottom frame and filled the screw holes with black silicone--there to fix the remaining leak.

From that experience I developed the following hypothesis: the leaks come from where the Thor assemblers put those screws in the window frame. I think they occasionally get to close and pierce something causing the leaks.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:21 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I don't think I did the bottom of the windows. I will have to go back and check and put a bead there too. The screw holes is a good hypothesis. I had a similar thing happen in my house when they installed some new hurricane shutters. They did not caulk the screw holes into the cinder block and water leaked thru the holes, down thru the block and into the room. Caulking the holes solved the problem.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:37 AM   #5

Model: Vegas
State: Texas
THOR #7992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
I have seen the horror stories (and pictures) of fellow VEGAS/AXIS owners who have had water damage under their windows on the DRIVERS and PASSENGER areas.

Luckily, we haven't had anything happen (yet) that we can tell, but was wanting to try and prevent it, if we can..

I know some people have said they "sealed" and "caulked" around the windows, but no one had posted a picture, and wasn't quite sure exactly where they were sealing. I know sometimes sealing the wrong thing can cause MORE damage that doing nothing.

If someone who has made this repair could explain exactly where they sealed (or better yet) if we could beg and get you to post a picture, we would be forever grateful...

As posted on another thread here, my 2015 Vegas on 3rd window leak repair, first 2 covered by Thor dealer -on passenger and drivers side and dealer said coming from top of window and had to replace interior wallboard and caulk outside and install more screws. Well, passenger interior side under window damaged again ( when out of warranty) by rain and drip from a/c unit running thru transition area where front cap of RV meets body at top and if u pull back top trim piece you will probably find gap in Thor construction and need to fill gap and look at wall over window on inside to really see how Water channeling to top of window and running around to damage interior wallboard.
Window really needs to be removed to see all the damage wrought which my dealer did not do the first time. Disassembling the upper bunk bed takes some time to do this project correctly. Hate to be the messenger but protecting that top seam is a must. This unit has been stored under cover most of its life and only 8k miles since in shop waiting for parts so often.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:53 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2baker View Post
As posted on another thread here, my 2015 Vegas on 3rd window leak repair, first 2 covered by Thor dealer -on passenger and drivers side and dealer said coming from top of window and had to replace interior wallboard and caulk outside and install more screws. Well, passenger interior side under window damaged again ( when out of warranty) by rain and drip from a/c unit running thru transition area where front cap of RV meets body at top and if u pull back top trim piece you will probably find gap in Thor construction and need to fill gap and look at wall over window on inside to really see how Water channeling to top of window and running around to damage interior wallboard.
Window really needs to be removed to see all the damage wrought which my dealer did not do the first time. Disassembling the upper bunk bed takes some time to do this project correctly. Hate to be the messenger but protecting that top seam is a must. This unit has been stored under cover most of its life and only 8k miles since in shop waiting for parts so often.
So, you are saying the area where the fiberglass front cap meets the actual roof?
Old 01-30-2018, 01:24 AM   #7

State: Texas
THOR #4631
Yes where front cap and body of coach attach, fight above where awning is anchored. One owner has replied he covers all factory seams with Eternabond 4 in preventing leaks from movement of seam joints. Will research that product, but my RV had dimples in wallpaper when new at purchase time and I figured cheap wallpaper job unknowing was sign of delamination! This top gap is a factory goof or just no quality control to get these popular units out door.
Old 10-25-2022, 08:03 PM   #8

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #17925
Quote:
Around the outside of my windows there is a rubber seal between the window frame and the wall. Did you caulk between the seal and wall? K.
Old 11-19-2022, 02:28 PM   #9

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
THOR #17456
Same issue on 24.1

Quote:
I just completed the same caulking job after finding evidence of leakage and rot under the passenger side window. I believe water followed the side molding to the upper rear corner of the window and then leaked in around the window frame. I have also exposed the wet areas to dry before moving ahead. Based on the damage and dampness, this has been going on for quite a while.
Before I complete repairs to the wall, I will liberally spray and soak the area and then measure wall moisture with a moisture meter to make sure I have stopped the leak.

Has anyone else had this problem?