Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2021, 01:18 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Gasoline prices should stabilize between $3.50 and $4.50 a gallon (National average) according to the economists for Valero Oil, headquarter here. Shale oil is profitable at $55 per barrel, so at about $80 a barrel it pays to open the wells and drill more. For the guys out West where, they import the majority of foreign oil they should pay about $1,00 more than us in TX where the state is oil friendly. Deep off shore Gulf oil readily available, but more expensive than shale. We average $4.00 a gallon in 2005 in the Pacific NW and that equates to about $8 per gallon these days. If we don't get Congress to establish a coherent energy policy, expect gas prices to be extremely volatile, as the US no longer controls the surplus production. More comments than this will get me banned.

Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 01:41 AM   #22
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
TRUTH! That said, We are doing monthly stays instead of traveling every few days.. Chiefland FL is slated to be next for 2 or 3 months..
You've obviously see the commercials; "It's cheaper in Chiefland".
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 02:53 AM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
I have to drive at least 3,400 miles over the next month or so, and since I don’t have much choice about it, I’ll just pay for the gas and go from there. No point complaining. I will be driving slower because of extra load, so that should help a little.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:44 AM   #24

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
The price of fuel and credit card limits at the pump are definitely first world problems that do not take up much of my day. As long as I have been alive gas prices have fluctuated based on the level of our country's energy independence. We were more independent in the prior year, less so this year. If we are more energy independent next year than we are now, prices will go back down. I only travel about 250 miles a day and I buy fuel every day. When the pump shuts down I get a receipt. As long as the pump and receipt have the same dollar amount I am okay. I don't care if it says $100.00 or $112.47. I probably have enough fuel to get to my daily destination. To be honest, I am more concerned about the things forum moderators will not let us talk about, that we could change, than the things we can talk about that we can not change. But I guess that is the point, keep us looking at the shiny object.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:14 AM   #25

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Yes, we have done that and even canceled one card on the spot because they wouldn’t remove the restriction. A lot of the restrictions are not with stations but rather with your credit card. That is the nice thing about the TSD fuel program and using truck pumps. High speed fueling without restrictions.
While some credit cards will place the purchase restriction it is also the station in many cases using a purchase amount restriction; especially mom an pop places and smaller chains... but even some bigger names. During my last trip I even saw signs on pumps that warned the pump would shut off at $75 or $100.

I use a Costco Visa because I get 4% Cash Back up to $7000 annually and my Costco Card has no purchase restrictions at the pump. I have pumped $200 with one transaction. When I am doing a second or third transaction one after the other and have been crossing state lines, I will sometimes get a text asking if I am making that purchase as a fraud check and i just have to reply with a "Y" for yes and the transaction goes through.

If you go inside and tell the cashier at any station the amount you want to pump in advance.

The big truck stops don't usually have any pump restrictions either but I don't use the truck stops because my coach can't handle the high flow rates. Also these days the truck stops are a good $0.30 - $0.40 more expensive than a regugaular station for diesel so I will use a SpeedWay, Sheetz, WaWa, etc. I'm 55" with my tow but I can almost always find a station where I can get in and out for the diesel pump.
Old 10-24-2021, 01:01 PM   #26
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
So you gonna spend your gas money to mow the lawns... You won't make enough money on the return to get the generator to start unless you planning on using the Spark to pull the Tiffin as a Toad
I charge $750 per lawn..
Old 10-24-2021, 01:07 PM   #27

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
While some credit cards will place the purchase restriction it is also the station in many cases using a purchase amount restriction; especially mom an pop places and smaller chains... but even some bigger names. During my last trip I even saw signs on pumps that warned the pump would shut off at $75 or $100.

I use a Costco Visa because I get 4% Cash Back up to $7000 annually and my Costco Card has no purchase restrictions at the pump. I have pumped $200 with one transaction. When I am doing a second or third transaction one after the other and have been crossing state lines, I will sometimes get a text asking if I am making that purchase as a fraud check and i just have to reply with a "Y" for yes and the transaction goes through.

If you go inside and tell the cashier at any station the amount you want to pump in advance.

The big truck stops don't usually have any pump restrictions either but I don't use the truck stops because my coach can't handle the high flow rates. Also these days the truck stops are a good $0.30 - $0.40 more expensive than a regugaular station for diesel so I will use a SpeedWay, Sheetz, WaWa, etc. I'm 55" with my tow but I can almost always find a station where I can get in and out for the diesel pump.

Correct, when I first got my RV and saw how much the gas was actually going to be; I actually called Discover and Chase. I use 2 Visa cards and 1 Discover for no particularly reason or order; as they all have cash back It is more flexibility and contingency for me if one card can't be read, lost, stolen or something.

The credit cards companies can make a note that you own a RV and make higher gas transactions; but none of them apply any restrictions. Theoretically, I could charge $30,000 or my Credit Limit on my card and they would not say a thing if I properly authorized it.

What they may do though is at random they may see back to back transactions at the same gas station as potential fraud and have you verify before they will approve the 2nd authorization. If they do that; you will know because you will get a phone call, text, email or something to verify.

The problem I cite is when at some gas stations, they have predetermined their pump limit at $75, $100, etc. and it will stop. And/or the same station if they see you attempting a 2nd purchase of gas with same card, they will send the dreaded "See Attendant" come inside message on the pump screen.

I have never tried, but I bet if you go inside the 1st time and tell them you want $150 worth of gas and the pump number ( they will see the big arse RV), they will run your card get it authorized for $150 and it will not stop until at $150. I just don't want to go inside is my issue. Having said that, next time I travel with my Coach winterized; I will try to see what happens, because I will need to go inside then to use the Restrooms
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 01:28 PM   #28

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Analogy for thought

If I may, and not for anybody in particular; but I would like to post an analogy offering some perspective relating to the OPs question about prices of gas.

I remember having the below argument with some fellow coworkers when I first moved to Dallas years ago on my 1st job out of the University.

Let's assume you have a very nice restaurant (kind of upscale; but not over the top). Average dinner entrée is about $100 / person.

So you take a date, wife, significant other, dog or whatever that is politically correct and your bill is $200. You didn't like the service because you felt you were largely ignored by waitress, and it took forever for everything and food was cold when served. But because you knew where you were, you didn't say a word. You just assumed that you would reflect in the tip as you only planned to Tip 10% which would have been $20 for total of $220.

However, when bill came it was $260 because the restaurant has predetermined the tip to be 30%. You were mad, but clarified with waitress that it was not a mistake, complained but paid.

Did the Customer have the right to complain? There were some that had the belief that if you could not afford you should not have gone to the restaurant, while others did not see it as a question of affordability, but excessive pricing.

I tend to think your view may reflect your financial status. If you have money to spare it does not faze you a bit. But is there really anything wrong with the thrifty person wanted to do something extra special with his date, wife, significant other, dog and reasonable expecting good value of services? Or should that person just stay out the restaurant period?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 03:12 PM   #29

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post

"also the station in many cases using a purchase amount restriction; "

In the mid 20teens (2014) when gas was HIGHER and most stations had a $50/75 limit on the pump a major station, told DW to come in next time and tell them, it's worked everytime we call it going inside to be a hostage
Old 10-30-2021, 06:31 PM   #30

Model: four winds 31W
State: Virginia
THOR #9584
Send a message via Yahoo to caution
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichS View Post
Is anyone starting to adjust how far you are traveling from home because of the price of gas. I was going to go to Pensylvania from Florida for a week. I figured it would be around $800 round trip for fuel. The way the price of gas is getting more expensive every week I decided to stay closer to home.

I kick myself. I should have done it when it was around $2 a gallon.
As I plan for trips next year in my 8MPG Thor Four Winds the forecast says gas prices are not retreating any time soon, therefore I do want to camp 75-90 days which is our normal BUT As I plan 2022 there are going to be more trips close to home because of the gas prices. In 2020 in 5,000 miles we averaged $0.28/mile for gas alone, in 2021 5,000 miles cost was $0.39/mile. 33% increase in one year just for gas.
Old 10-30-2021, 07:56 PM   #31

Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
We did not change travel plans because of higher gas prices. With that said, I fill up at Costco as much as possible at a savings of about 50 cents per gallon. That helps some and is worth the §60 membership.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:05 PM   #32

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
Cost of fuel does not affect our travel itineraries. I am happy if we are passing by areas where fuels are cheaper. We plan where we cant to go and save/budget for potential fuel cost. Always a plus if gas price is cheaper.
ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:11 PM   #33

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
It will continue to go up as the stated goal is to force us into ev.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:13 PM   #34

Model: Regency Ultra Brougham IB
State: Arizona
THOR #13468
When we were shopping for our current RV one of the things I considered was fuel prices so I opted to get a high mileage vehicle. Well, high mileage for an RV, anyway.

We ended up with a Sprinter Diesel based B+ and because of the relatively high mileage we get I feel we are a bit insulated from rising fuel costs. Given that the prices would have to go pretty high for us to cut back on our travels. As it is we go somewhere about every 3 weeks, so 15-18 trips a year, most of those within a 300 mile radius. If costs get too high I suppose we would go on shorter trips rather than cut down on the number of trips we make.
Old 10-31-2021, 02:36 AM   #35

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Gasoline prices should stabilize between $3.50 and $4.50 a gallon (National average) according to the economists for Valero Oil, headquarter here. Shale oil is profitable at $55 per barrel, so at about $80 a barrel it pays to open the wells and drill more. For the guys out West where, they import the majority of foreign oil they should pay about $1,00 more than us in TX where the state is oil friendly. Deep off shore Gulf oil readily available, but more expensive than shale. We average $4.00 a gallon in 2005 in the Pacific NW and that equates to about $8 per gallon these days. If we don't get Congress to establish a coherent energy policy, expect gas prices to be extremely volatile, as the US no longer controls the surplus production. More comments than this will get me banned.
Beau I can not comment at all about gas prices because I would be booted off, if you know what i mean. LOL
Old 10-31-2021, 04:14 AM   #36

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post

I thought the primary goal is to reduce or eliminate global warming.

It is possible that some see the switch to Electric Vehicles as the only transportation solution, and are therefore mandating switch to EVs, but reducing warming (through CO2 reduction) can be achieved in other ways too.

More efficient motorhomes is another viable option. Driving fewer miles can also achieve the same as electric vehicles, etc. The problem I see is that to reduce energy consumption, the price has to be elevated enough that we the people will use less energy on our own; whichever option we decide on. Unfortunately, higher energy costs will adversely affect the economy in many ways.

Personally, even if gas got to $10 per gallon (3 times higher), I would prefer a 25 MPG camper in lieu of an 8 MPG rig if that was what was required to keep traveling and camping.
Old 10-31-2021, 05:10 AM   #37

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
You've obviously see the commercials; "It's cheaper in Chiefland".
Nope I Haven't seen those... We didn't know when the Dr.'s were going to cut Us Loose to travel, so didn't make any plans or reservations.
When We got the word,, got busy looking for a place to go..
Found that The US had opened the border for the Snowbird Canucks to come south...Everywhere We tried to find a spot was fully booked up, with a waiting list.
An RV park in Chiefland had an opening so we booked it sight unseen..
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 10:57 AM   #38
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
If someone is concerned about the price of fuel they should get rid of the rig and stay home.
What a stupid and inconsiderate statement
Old 10-31-2021, 10:58 AM   #39

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Diesel will be close by next year to the Obama Pelosi years cost level

Given inflation that will be around 5 bucks in the Midwest

We traveled over 100k during those high fuel years and given good health will continue in the future

I will continue to fuel in truck stops to avoid inserting the CC 4 or 5 times as i typically get 120 gallons or so

We are doing some new construction and renovation projects at a couple locations and many items are much higher than a couple years ago

Increasing cost do force changes however follow your bucket list

You only live once

We typically travel less miles and stay longer to balance the budget

Sent from my SM-G970U using Thor RV Forum mobile app
Old 10-31-2021, 11:06 AM   #40
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
Exactly! That is why you will NOT see gas prices go down any time soon, but will continue to rise. Then since China owns most if not all of the lithium mines, we will be at their mercy.