Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2021, 01:25 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 25M
State: Florida
THOR #17980
Price of Gas

Boy oh boy I like coming here, it's like I'm listening to all those little voices in my head. But getting all good answers back.

BTW : Traded in our 20 Four Winds 22B and got a 22 Chateau 25M, it's amazing how room you gain with a full slide.

Old 11-01-2021, 07:32 PM   #42
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
If someone is concerned about the price of fuel they should get rid of the rig and stay home.
YES...We are seniors....when we were young married...57 yrs ago...we went to an Amway meeting and the fellow showed a photo of his motorhome...I am presuming, in the late 60's it would have been a Silverstream or Holiday Rambler....anyhow...someone in the audience asked how much gas cost for that motorhome...THE FELLA SEZ...."if you must ask, you cannot afford it"
nuff said...
That answer has rung true through all the years we have been camping to our first motorhome we bought over 20 yrs ago....Gas is not our only issues now days...everyone must take into consideration Insurance, Property tax, license plates and storage (if applicable)... We continue to enjoy camping...just with limitations now due to our age.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 11:08 PM   #43

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
According to Discover & Visa, they state it is a decision made by the Gas Stations. The Gas Stations can set the max amount they will accept on a credit card and whether they will allow you to run the same card twice without physically coming inside. It is very annoying to especially have to watch it slow down as it prepare to stop wasting even more time Because each station can have different rules it is hard to get in front of. I have to now carry two credit cards to the pump just in case when I need to run a 2nd time so I don't even fool with learning if that station will accept my 1st card a 2nd time without me physically going inside.

So to the OPs question, gas can be a hassle and frustrating at times, but it is never a deal breaker.
I own a gas station... Like most things, what you're being told by MC & Visa is half truths. MC & Visa set the guarantee limit at $100 & $75 respectively. The retailer can ignore the cap if they chose to but in the event of a fraudulent card they stand the entire amount, not just the amount over the guaranteed limit.

Most of us can't afford to stand the loss so we adhere to the cap for the guarantee and stop the pumps based on the card.

Side note...expect $100 oil by year's end... As I write this oil is 82 per barrel so whatever your paying now it will likely be 25% higher. Forecast for next year is $200 oil... Hope they're wrong... I believe $8 gas will affect most of us and our traveling decisions.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:34 PM   #44

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
I own a gas station... Like most things, what you're being told by MC & Visa is half truths. MC & Visa set the guarantee limit at $100 & $75 respectively. The retailer can ignore the cap if they chose to but in the event of a fraudulent card they stand the entire amount, not just the amount over the guaranteed limit.

Most of us can't afford to stand the loss so we adhere to the cap for the guarantee and stop the pumps based on the card.

Side note...expect $100 oil by year's end... As I write this oil is 82 per barrel so whatever your paying now it will likely be 25% higher. Forecast for next year is $200 oil... Hope they're wrong... I believe $8 gas will affect most of us and our traveling decisions.
I am curious what Discover's guarantee limit is? Is it $100?

I only spoke with Visa / Discover; but based on what you said they told the truth, because the limit is apparently set by the Gas stations. I get the guarantee cap limit. I wouldn't expect credit cards companies to guarantee every purchase to a new cap limit say $200

But more importantly I have better appreciation and understanding why gas stations would not wish to assume the risk. If I owned a Gas Station, I wouldn't either.

Question: so if I come inside; and say I need $175 do you accept the total risk then?

If I were a busy gas station owner on a freeway, I would not want RV owners sitting at the pumps taking twice as long as necessary to get their gas and get the arses out of da way for other paying customers.

If Gas does hit $8 /gallon, it will mean I need to scan and approve my card 6 times before filing up Maybe I can just go to gas station to fill-up, camp overnight at the pump and go back home
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:58 AM   #45

THOR #4488
Quote:
I am curious what Discover's guarantee limit is? Is it $100?

I only spoke with Visa / Discover; but based on what you said they told the truth, because the limit is apparently set by the Gas stations. I get the guarantee cap limit. I wouldn't expect credit cards companies to guarantee every purchase to a new cap limit say $200

But more importantly I have better appreciation and understanding why gas stations would not wish to assume the risk. If I owned a Gas Station, I wouldn't either.

Question: so if I come inside; and say I need $175 do you accept the total risk then?

If I were a busy gas station owner on a freeway, I would not want RV owners sitting at the pumps taking twice as long as necessary to get their gas and get the arses out of da way for other paying customers.

If Gas does hit $8 /gallon, it will mean I need to scan and approve my card 6 times before filing up Maybe I can just go to gas station to fill-up, camp overnight at the pump and go back home
The cap system was developed years ago when "pay at the pump" became common place. Before that time a signature was required and the station had to be able to identify the individual as the card holder, thus the signature match on the back of the card.

An inside purchase has no cap. Honestly I think the caps should be removed on pay at the pump purchases. Inside you no longer verify the card or the individual so there's no difference. But I think card companies haven't done this because they have no incentive to do so. It's an outdated rule that needs to be ended by the credit card companies.
Old 11-02-2021, 01:13 AM   #46

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
The cap system was developed years ago when "pay at the pump" became common place. Before that time a signature was required and the station had to be able to identify the individual as the card holder, thus the signature match on the back of the card.

An inside purchase has no cap. Honestly I think the caps should be removed on pay at the pump purchases. Inside you no longer verify the card or the individual so there's no difference. But I think card companies haven't done this because they have no incentive to do so. It's an outdated rule that needs to be ended by the credit card companies.
Do you mean that you believe the credit card companies should guarantee unlimited amounts at the pump? If I follow what you have taught me, the CC companies don't set the limit, only the amounts they guarantee.

Also, don't entering the the zip code count as the customer verifying their identity. I have no clue about how much fraud would occur, but think it very hard for a thief to buy $150 of gas on one transaction unless they stole an RV

But at the end of the day as it is now, when the pumps stops it is actually at a limit that is controlled by the Gas Station as in some cases the Gas Station have no incentive to accept an amount in any given transaction more than what the CC will guarantee.

I think I see both sides of this coin and understand why it is a problem. But I tend to agree that if CC will somehow guarantee the transaction if yo are inside, they should guarantee the same, after their customer has verified.

Armed with this new info, I will give Discover and Visa another call to see if I learn anything new.

Thanks for your insight as it has been very helpful.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 01:33 AM   #47
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
A Steakhouse in Amarillo, Texas had 72 oz Steaks https://www.bigtexan.com/72-oz-steak/ But they were so packed we would have starved to death to get one The Steak is $72; I bought gas instead and ate the nice beef sandwiches my DW make for me while I drive and rant about the cost of fuel. We typically scout for Sam's along our journey as the gas is generally $.30/gallon cheaper ( but NOT in Amarillo )

For what it is worth, I got 17,000 miles in 2 years. So that is about $6,375 thus far on gas about $3,187 / year. But like taxes, I can afford it; but I ain't happy about it.
We always eat there every time we go through. The free 720z stake comes with a timed eating session, two large shrimp, bread(muffin - large), and other stuff all needed to be eaten by a timer. They put you up on the second floor where everyone can see you. We watched two guys from Europe try. They each never got even half their stake eaten. Each had to pay. Only professional eaters need to apply for that. They said that a 102 pound gal that was a professional eater comes in a few times a year and eats all in less then thirty minuets. That being said, a large family can order one, no charge for all the extra plates, and eat a stake dinner. We go for the rib eye or T-bone stake. You can order one dinner a share and not have an extra charge for the extra plate or silverware. Never had a problem getting in.
Old 11-02-2021, 01:37 AM   #48

THOR #4488
Quote:
Do you mean that you believe the credit card companies should guarantee unlimited amounts at the pump? If I follow what you have taught me, the CC companies don't set the limit, only the amounts they guarantee.

Also, don't entering the the zip code count as the customer verifying their identity. I have no clue about how much fraud would occur, but think it very hard for a thief to buy $150 of gas on one transaction unless they stole an RV

But at the end of the day as it is now, when the pumps stops it is actually at a limit that is controlled by the Gas Station as in some cases the Gas Station have no incentive to accept an amount in any given transaction more than what the CC will guarantee.

I think I see both sides of this coin and understand why it is a problem. But I tend to agree that if CC will somehow guarantee the transaction if yo are inside, they should guarantee the same, after their customer has verified.

Armed with this new info, I will give Discover and Visa another call to see if I learn anything new.

Thanks for your insight as it has been very helpful.
Exactly... The inside sale isn't verified by the store... It's all in the hands of the customer. The card never leaves their hand... It now is no different than outside.

It's an outdated rule. If customers and retailers complain enough maybe they will drop it.

Until then I'll have the system stop the pump at the guarantee amount. Remember they don't just make the retailer responsible for the amount over the guarantee... It's the full purchase.

Hopefully I explained this in a way to be understood.
Old 11-02-2021, 03:44 AM   #49

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
At most truck stops you leave your card and license to get a full tank

Which next year will be $500 plus for the Tuscany
Old 11-02-2021, 03:57 AM   #50

THOR #2121
Quote:
Exactly... The inside sale isn't verified by the store... It's all in the hands of the customer. The card never leaves their hand... It now is no different than outside.

It's an outdated rule. If customers and retailers complain enough maybe they will drop it.

Until then I'll have the system stop the pump at the guarantee amount. Remember they don't just make the retailer responsible for the amount over the guarantee... It's the full purchase.

Hopefully I explained this in a way to be understood.

Thanks for information.

I’m curious about one possible security difference. When drivers go inside to pay, I’m assuming that our images are captured on video. Is that also done at the pump? Are there video recordings that could be turned over to law enforcement?

About 2 years ago someone stole my parents credit card number somehow and used it at 3 gas stations within 2~3 days to buy just under $100 each time. The third purchase flagged the issue, we were credited, and issued new card.

The real problem seems to be that we don’t have enough resources to find and prosecute these criminals.
Old 11-02-2021, 04:06 AM   #51

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichS View Post
Is anyone starting to adjust how far you are traveling from home because of the price of gas. I was going to go to Pensylvania from Florida for a week. I figured it would be around $800 round trip for fuel. The way the price of gas is getting more expensive every week I decided to stay closer to home.

I kick myself. I should have done it when it was around $2 a gallon.
No enjoy life ..we don't have long
Old 11-02-2021, 04:26 AM   #52

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Thanks for information.

I’m curious about one possible security difference. When drivers go inside to pay, I’m assuming that our images are captured on video. Is that also done at the pump? Are there video recordings that could be turned over to law enforcement?

About 2 years ago someone stole my parents credit card number somehow and used it at 3 gas stations within 2~3 days to buy just under $100 each time. The third purchase flagged the issue, we were credited, and issued new card.

The real problem seems to be that we don’t have enough resources to find and prosecute these criminals.
The victim is the cc company and they won't prosecute. It costs to much to send a rep to court to testify. So they eat the loss of the fraudulent transaction

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:44 PM   #53

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
The victim is the cc company and they won't prosecute. It costs to much to send a rep to court to testify. So they eat the loss of the fraudulent transaction

Jerry
Sort of but the good customer ends up paying for the fraud. The CC fees 3%+- will go up if fraud losses go up, fees will go up, and the price of everything will go up as a result.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:54 PM   #54

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
... it's related to the current OUT OF CONTROL inflation trend that we are currently suffering. ...
Respectfully disagree for I lived in a South American country for many years and saw 80% inflation PER MONTH during the 80s there...

I can guarantee you that Inflation is not out of control: Inflation is a tool used by governments to drive the population to poverty in order to exert more control over the population.

Inflation in US is exactly where the Government wants it to be.

The Government creates inflation. This is a fact.
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 01:29 PM   #55

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Maryland
THOR #19595
Pump limits, never called ahead, but have gone in before pumping to ask them to raise limit, had to hand over credit card for them to do so.
Old 11-02-2021, 02:00 PM   #56

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
Respectfully disagree for I lived in a South American country for many years and saw 80% inflation PER MONTH during the 80s there...

I can guarantee you that Inflation is not out of control: Inflation is a tool used by governments to drive the population to poverty in order to exert more control over the population.

Don't be fooled... you and I ARE the "government" (Remember? Government BY the people...). The "inflation" in the U.S. is due to differences in policies between the vast number of countries in a connected world economy. When we switched from being a major exporter to an importer, we became extremely vulnerable to those differences. You'll hear a myriad of excuses, but it all comes down to a willing/planned exporting of our manufacturing base and labor. Follow the money trail... it will lead to a cooperation between major corporations and corrupt politicians. And THAT my friend is NOT our "government"!
Old 11-02-2021, 02:19 PM   #57
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Thomas View Post
Boy oh boy I like coming here, it's like I'm listening to all those little voices in my head. But getting all good answers back.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1635862783
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Singalong.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	34567  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:27 PM   #58

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Don't be fooled... you and I ARE the "government" (Remember? Government BY the people...). The "inflation" in the U.S. is due to differences in policies between the vast number of countries in a connected world economy. When we switched from being a major exporter to an importer, we became extremely vulnerable to those differences. You'll hear a myriad of excuses, but it all comes down to a willing/planned exporting of our manufacturing base and labor. Follow the money trail... it will lead to a cooperation between major corporations and corrupt politicians. And THAT my friend is NOT our "government"!
Yes, we are the Government when WE want to be...
The guys that We the People are letting run the things right now are not behaving like they work for us so for all practical purposes, We the People are not governing, someone else is.

Don't be fooled thinking Inflation is not a Government caused pain.
High inflation is how they destroyed middle class in Venezuela, are finishing the destruction in Argentina and tried to do the same in Brazil.
When you have trouble getting food for your family, you least concern is to vote... or fight for Constitution/law enforcement....
This is historic fact.

Stop printing money and giving $ to people that don't work and inflation disappear in a blink of an eye.
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:34 PM   #59

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post

As he drops the mic...
Old 11-02-2021, 02:39 PM   #60
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
And the ticker starts, how long before the thread gets closed due to political discussion. Only the members know for sure.