Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2021, 07:14 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Freedom Elite 28H
State: Florida
THOR #1929
Price Of Gas How Far

Is anyone starting to adjust how far you are traveling from home because of the price of gas. I was going to go to Pensylvania from Florida for a week. I figured it would be around $800 round trip for fuel. The way the price of gas is getting more expensive every week I decided to stay closer to home.

I kick myself. I should have done it when it was around $2 a gallon.

Old 10-23-2021, 07:20 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932

No, we're not.
Rv'ing is a hellofa drug
And
We knew the job was dangerous when we took it(super chicken theme song reference)

If some are cutting back, that means some folks are selling or gonna go repo.

I have cut back on tbone and porterhouse. Prices are stupud high.
We had travelling guests from this forum stay over a few days at our place last week.
We hamburgered them instead of 30oz steaks.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 08:38 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Fuel cost is not a factor in my RV trip planning, merely a foot note. The cost of fuel always fluctuates from stupid high in some states to cheap in others.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 08:52 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Due to not having unlimited funding, we are considering our options. But the price of gasoline is not the ONLY consideration... it's related to the current OUT OF CONTROL inflation trend that we are currently suffering. Groceries, propane, natural gas and electric prices are predicted to continue skyrocketing prices through this winter.

We have a plan in place in a couple years when we are both retired. RV travel is the center of that plan. A severe depression could result from the current economic management, which would likely be a painful event for working Americans. However, that shock usually brings prices back into alignment with reality. We'll just have to wait and see what the political climate brings.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:14 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #20900
I always budget for vacations the year prior. Since gas varies so much, I use the historical maximum, adjusted for inflation, and add 50c just in case. I use 8 mpg, and then plug in my budget. 40% goes to fuel. From that, I can determine the total number of miles for that year and then we can decide where to go. Using the historical maximum adjusted for inflation plus 50c, the amount doesn't change much from one year to the next, and I've always ended up under budget.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:14 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If someone is concerned about the price of fuel they should get rid of the rig and stay home.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:38 PM   #7

Model: Quantum RQ29
THOR #13648
So far the price of gas has not determined where we go.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:02 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Well I might have to start mowing lawns, and the Missus will do some babysitting...
But our trips for next year will not be changed.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:41 PM   #9

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Fuel cost is not a factor in my RV trip planning, merely a foot note. The cost of fuel always fluctuates from stupid high in some states to cheap in others.
Exactly.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:56 PM   #10

Model: SOB
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Fuel cost is not a factor in my RV trip planning, merely a foot note. .
TRUTH! That said, We are doing monthly stays instead of traveling every few days.. Chiefland FL is slated to be next for 2 or 3 months..
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:25 PM   #11

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Last year it cost me about $100 in diesel to fill up each time when prices were as low as $2.35/gallon. This year it was costing me $180 - $210 each time.

We just got back two weeks ago from a 2-month 7200 mile trip. Between the SV34 and the Wrangler (over 3000 miles on it for sightseeing), we spent Over $3400 in fuel.

It was more than we thought when planned the trip this time last year but it is what it is and its just part of ownership.

We started planning a trip to Alaska in 2023 and just decided to add on California, Oregon and Washinton to the front end of that trip instead of doing those states in 2024. We figured it would be less wear and tear on the coach plus some savings in fuel. That will be over a 10,000 mile trip easily.

As other have stated there are other price increases as well. One campground we stayed at last year raised their prices 25% this year... just because they could. There will defintely be a lot of people dropping out.... especially the new ones who didn't factor in all the costs associated with RV ownership.

But the bottom line is we bought the coach for travel and now that we are in this deep, what's a little deeper???
Old 10-23-2021, 11:36 PM   #12

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
If someone is concerned about the price of fuel they should get rid of the rig and stay home.
That is me, but I prefer to keep it and complain. It is part of the fun for some. I also like to complain about how some of the gas pumps stop at $75, $100 etc. It really ticks me off to have go through that entire credit card sequence twice.

To OP,

No; I have never altered any travel plans due to gas.
Distance is a factor in my planning; so you could say there is correlation with gas. But let's say gas was free , I wouldn't plan a trip to Yosemite Park tomorrow; unless I could swing the time out of mine & DW's schedule to drive that far to visit, have a good time, and return.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:40 PM   #13

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I also like to complain about how some of the gas pumps stop at $75, $100 etc. It really ticks me off to have go through that entire credit card sequence twice.

I'm with you on this one! At a couple of pumps the last trip I had to run the card three times..... ridiculous!!!!!!
Old 10-23-2021, 11:42 PM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
No, we're not.
Rv'ing is a hellofa drug
And
We knew the job was dangerous when we took it(super chicken theme song reference)

If some are cutting back, that means some folks are selling or gonna go repo.

I have cut back on tbone and porterhouse. Prices are stupud high.
We had travelling guests from this forum stay over a few days at our place last week.
We hamburgered them instead of 30oz steaks.
A Steakhouse in Amarillo, Texas had 72 oz Steaks https://www.bigtexan.com/72-oz-steak/ But they were so packed we would have starved to death to get one The Steak is $72; I bought gas instead and ate the nice beef sandwiches my DW make for me while I drive and rant about the cost of fuel. We typically scout for Sam's along our journey as the gas is generally $.30/gallon cheaper ( but NOT in Amarillo )

For what it is worth, I got 17,000 miles in 2 years. So that is about $6,375 thus far on gas about $3,187 / year. But like taxes, I can afford it; but I ain't happy about it.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 10-23-2021, 11:43 PM   #15

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I'm with you on this one! At a couple of pumps the last trip I had to run the card three times..... ridiculous!!!!!!

My spousal unit calls ahead when we travel and gets most restrictions lifted on limits and stuff.
We haven't tried this on pump limits.
Has anyone any knowledge of such a thing?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:46 PM   #16

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichS View Post
Is anyone starting to adjust how far you are traveling from home because of the price of gas. I was going to go to Pensylvania from Florida for a week. I figured it would be around $800 round trip for fuel. The way the price of gas is getting more expensive every week I decided to stay closer to home.

I kick myself. I should have done it when it was around $2 a gallon.
I refuse to let the government's attack on fuel to keep me from enjoying the freedom of the RV life.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:53 PM   #17

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Well I might have to start mowing lawns, and the Missus will do some babysitting...
But our trips for next year will not be changed.
So you gonna spend your gas money to mow the lawns... You won't make enough money on the return to get the generator to start unless you planning on using the Spark to pull the Tiffin as a Toad
Old 10-23-2021, 11:54 PM   #18
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
My spousal unit calls ahead when we travel and gets most restrictions lifted on limits and stuff.
We haven't tried this on pump limits.
Has anyone any knowledge of such a thing?
Yes, we have done that and even canceled one card on the spot because they wouldn’t remove the restriction. A lot of the restrictions are not with stations but rather with your credit card. That is the nice thing about the TSD fuel program and using truck pumps. High speed fueling without restrictions.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:56 PM   #19

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
That is me, but I prefer to keep it and complain. It is part of the fun for some. I also like to complain about how some of the gas pumps stop at $75, $100 etc. It really ticks me off to have go through that entire credit card sequence twice.

To OP,

No; I have never altered any travel plans due to gas.
Distance is a factor in my planning; so you could say there is correlation with gas. But let's say gas was free , I wouldn't plan a trip to Yosemite Park tomorrow; unless I could swing the time out of mine & DW's schedule to drive that far to visit, have a good time, and return.
Got nailed with the pump limit three times this week traveling... two @ $90, once @ $100. Irritating... how could it be a security measure? I just wait a couple minutes and run it again. And it's somewhat secure using my PIN. Just something to complain about I guess...
Old 10-24-2021, 12:59 AM   #20

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Got nailed with the pump limit three times this week traveling... two @ $90, once @ $100. Irritating... how could it be a security measure? I just wait a couple minutes and run it again. And it's somewhat secure using my PIN. Just something to complain about I guess...
According to Discover & Visa, they state it is a decision made by the Gas Stations. The Gas Stations can set the max amount they will accept on a credit card and whether they will allow you to run the same card twice without physically coming inside. It is very annoying to especially have to watch it slow down as it prepare to stop wasting even more time Because each station can have different rules it is hard to get in front of. I have to now carry two credit cards to the pump just in case when I need to run a 2nd time so I don't even fool with learning if that station will accept my 1st card a 2nd time without me physically going inside.

So to the OPs question, gas can be a hassle and frustrating at times, but it is never a deal breaker.