Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2018, 04:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: Delaware
THOR #8127
Propane Connection on 2018 Windsport

Since the 2018s Thor RVs don't come with the propane outdoor grill, there is still port for the propane. When we picked the RV up from CW in Harrisburg, they had no clue what connection would work if I wanted to hook my Coleman grill up to the propane port on the RV. Does anyone know what I need or is it just best to use a portable bottle of propane for the grill?

Old 01-22-2018, 06:46 PM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
You could try the Extend A Stay kit. If your grill has it's own regulator it will either have to be removed or tied into your rv before it's regulator. Your local propane dealer could probably help with fittings & assistance.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:00 PM   #3

State: New York
THOR #8264
I am a big fan of Weber grills. I bought the Weber Q2000 for our 2018 Windsport 29M. The quick connector at the rear passenger side is low pressure. I have seen various posts on the best way to proceed. I removed the regulator on the grill and changed the connectors and hose as well as the quick connect at the rv. Total time was less than half an hour. I purchased all the parts at Ace hardware. Now all I have to do is connect to the quick connect at the rv and I'm ready to cook. Works great. I believe I saw kits on the Camping World website. Good luck.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:32 AM   #4

Model: Chateau 35SD
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTR10 View Post
I am a big fan of Weber grills. I bought the Weber Q2000 for our 2018 Windsport 29M. The quick connector at the rear passenger side is low pressure. I have seen various posts on the best way to proceed. I removed the regulator on the grill and changed the connectors and hose as well as the quick connect at the rv. Total time was less than half an hour. I purchased all the parts at Ace hardware. Now all I have to do is connect to the quick connect at the rv and I'm ready to cook. Works great. I believe I saw kits on the Camping World website. Good luck.

Here is the end that fits into our 2018 Thor 35SD:

Camco 59903 Propane Quick-Connect Fitting - 1/4" NPT x Full Flow Male Plug https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HG7WUQ?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

wenz
Old 01-23-2018, 10:46 AM   #5

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Virginia
THOR #5560
If you are talking about a Coleman Roadtrip grill, you need a special connection to go from the grill to the RV. You can find them here:

Coleman® Roadtrip® RV Quick-Connect Plus Conversion Kit - propanegear
Old 01-23-2018, 04:42 PM   #6

State: Delaware
THOR #8127
Thank you everyone for the quick responses. I do have a Coleman Road trip grill that I bought when I negotiated with CW for store credit when we bought the RV. Looking forward to getting the needed parts and getting on the road soon...Tim
Old 01-24-2018, 12:47 AM   #7

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10254
Quote:
Originally Posted by werbrichfamily View Post
Thank you everyone for the quick responses. I do have a Coleman Road trip grill that I bought when I negotiated with CW for store credit when we bought the RV. Looking forward to getting the needed parts and getting on the road soon...Tim
Small world...I was at CW in Harrisburg last week to check on my warranty work.

I also asked them what I needed to connect a grill up to our 29M and the girl there told me that I had to get the connection "somewhere else".

I have to look into the quick connect set up.

Great topic...as an RV newbie, I really love this site. I learn something new every day.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:49 AM   #8

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #6959
Small, small world, I bought mine at Camping World of Harrisburg also. I asked them about the outdoor grill and they threw one in. I think I like my Coleman Grill better but this one has the connections for the motorhome already.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:47 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
just took delivery of our Hurricane. Our Axis didn't have an outside propane connection. I bought a nice char-broil table top grill. It came set up to use a small one pound tank. I bought a hose on Amazon that I could use a 20 lp tank. I searched Amazon for a hose that would work on my grill, with a quick connect end. I contacted char-Broil and they said they don't recommend using a quick connect hose and thus don't make one. They also cautioned me against making a hose with a quick disconnect end. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lp hose and RegMG_1065.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	8945  
Old 02-08-2018, 11:09 PM   #10

Model: Windsport 34J
State: Minnesota
THOR #9155
I have an '18 34J Windsport. When Camping World gave me my "free grill" a Weber Q1000 they threw in this hose. Plugs into the quick connect port located under my kitchen and replaces the green one pound bottle that would normally screw into the grill. Have used several times with no issues.

12' Quick Connect Propane Assembly Hose
Catalog Item # 67312
12' Quick Connect Propane Assembly Hose - Mr. Heater F271117 - Propane Hoses and Adapters - Camping World
Old 02-09-2018, 12:58 AM   #11

THOR #6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnbl View Post
I have an '18 34J Windsport. When Camping World gave me my "free grill" a Weber Q1000 they threw in this hose. Plugs into the quick connect port located under my kitchen and replaces the green one pound bottle that would normally screw into the grill. Have used several times with no issues.

Catalog Item # 67312
12' Quick Connect Propane Assembly Hose - Mr. Heater F271117 - Propane Hoses and Adapters - Camping World
That would be the one! Thank You!
Old 02-09-2018, 02:43 AM   #12

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbadger777 View Post
just took delivery of our Hurricane. Our Axis didn't have an outside propane connection. I bought a nice char-broil table top grill. It came set up to use a small one pound tank. I bought a hose on Amazon that I could use a 20 lp tank. I searched Amazon for a hose that would work on my grill, with a quick connect end. I contacted char-Broil and they said they don't recommend using a quick connect hose and thus don't make one. They also cautioned me against making a hose with a quick disconnect end. Any suggestions?
The fitting in this picture appears to have an extra piece in the end, if it comes out that should thread into the regulator shown.
If you have a local propane distributor they should able to have fittings for whatever/however you want to hook it up.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:10 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Quick connect/disconnects for propane are normally only used downstream of the regulator for low pressure use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
The fitting in this picture appears to have an extra piece in the end, if it comes out that should thread into the regulator shown.
If you have a local propane distributor they should able to have fittings for whatever/however you want to hook it up.
That's a standard grill regulator. The fitting on the end of the hose fits where a standard 1 lb bottle would go. It just looks different as it is made to allow the threaded portion to spin around the hose/sealing portion.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:29 AM   #14

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnbl View Post

Catalog Item # 67312
That looks just like the one that came with the portable grill that came with my ACE 30.3.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:52 PM   #15

THOR #6671
Did similar thing ... quick releases on both ends of 20-foot hose, with quick releases on rv and grill
Old 02-16-2018, 01:30 PM   #16

State: Missouri
THOR #10712
quick release

I have the q2200. Gonna purchase the hose in the link above from CW. Can I put a quick release on the grill and other end of hose? And do I need to remove the regulator from grill? Thanks. Tim
Old 02-16-2018, 03:20 PM   #17
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by trod211 View Post
I have the q2200. Gonna purchase the hose in the link above from CW. Can I put a quick release on the grill and other end of hose? And do I need to remove the regulator from grill? Thanks. Tim
It depends what you are attaching to...
CW Catalog number 67312 (the 'link above') is to:
"Connect a high-pressure grill or appliance that uses throw-away propane cylinders to a high-pressure RV onboard propane supply. "
It has quick connect on one end - and the connecter from a 'throw away bottle' on the other. It is intended for use connecting to a high pressure tap on the RV (unregulated Extend-a-Stay style) - the regulator on the grill would STAY IN PLACE.

If you want to connect to a low pressure regulated source on RV - you would need a different hose (quick connect on each end) - and would remove the grill's regulator...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:51 PM   #18

THOR #6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
It depends what you are attaching to...
CW Catalog number 67312 (the 'link above') is to:
"Connect a high-pressure grill or appliance that uses throw-away propane cylinders to a high-pressure RV onboard propane supply. "
It has quick connect on one end - and the connecter from a 'throw away bottle' on the other. It is intended for use connecting to a high pressure tap on the RV (unregulated Extend-a-Stay style) - the regulator on the grill would STAY IN PLACE.

If you want to connect to a low pressure regulated source on RV - you would need a different hose (quick connect on each end) - and would remove the grill's regulator...
You are absolutely correct. Our Axis didn't have the quick connect propane connection. I thought I wanted one. I have one now, but it appears that in order to stay with the CharBroil grill I won't be using it. I will install the extend a stay.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:37 PM   #19
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
You are absolutely correct. Our Axis didn't have the quick connect propane connection. I thought I wanted one. I have one now, but it appears that in order to stay with the CharBroil grill I won't be using it. I will install the extend a stay.
Typically easy to remove regulator - and use whatever grill you want with low pressure line...

I had low pressure on last rig - this one has Extend-a-stay... I just adapted the grill to what the rig had (added a regulator in my case to move from low pressure feed to high...)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:59 PM   #20

State: Missouri
THOR #10712
THanks gmc