Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2020, 09:36 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
What caused this?

Was the converter bad?

I believe one of the cells had an internal short. I had been puzzled that my monitor was showing well under 12V for several days while on shore power. After discovering the problem and disconnecting both 12V house batteries the overheated one (which was venting a surprising amount of white smoke) showed around 10V and it’s partner was at just over 6V. I’m no expert but I think the converter was doing its darnedest to get the voltage up but was fighting a losing battle and all the energy went into heat. I believe the problem was caused by the dealer who had the coach on his lot for over a year before I bought it. The event happened about a week into the first trip with the new coach. Interstate refused to replace them because they were more than a year old. Newmar promptly reimbursed me however. BTW, on my coach the house batteries are under the hood in front of the radiator.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:36 PM   #22

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #7188
Propane perfume and black tank chemical perfume

We had a mysterious propane odor too which was confirmed by a safety officer from an oil rig. So I bought a propane sniffer to find the source - never found anything so I tested the sniffer when refilling the propane tank... the sniffer worked just fine.

Another problem was that the bathroom would begin to smell bad if we parked too long with its door closed and the roof vent closed.

A third problem was that the bathroom would begin to smell bad if we drove down the highway with the bathroom roof vent open.

At first, I thought it was the toilet flush valve leaking fumes into the bathroom. It turns out that some black tank chemicals when doing its work kinda smell like some propane perfumes and all three of the odor problems were due to the malfunction of a vacuum breaker on the black tank vent stack. This vacuum breaker was on the bathroom sink drain just downstream of its trap. It is supposed to prevent pressure differentials from sucking that trap dry. Sounds odd but they pipe the bathroom sink drain into the black tank so the black tank will get a little extra water.

Anyway, a new vacuum breaker=wet sink trap=no odor problems!

P.S. But just in case, we run a bit of water in the bathroom sink before, during, and after driving to make sure its trap is making a seal.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:57 PM   #23

Model: 32.1 ACE
State: Texas
THOR #14323
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassCnewbie View Post
thank you for the Quick Reply. It only lasted about 15 minutes till I was going down the highway. I did let the Vehicle Idle for a good 15-20 minutes as we did last minute preparations for the trip. I wonder if maybe that was exhaust? None of the detectors went off. This is on a 2020 Thor Outlaw 29j
Check to see if your furnace is connected, mine was not, the hose was connected to propane but not the furnace. Found out when I brought home brand new.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:40 PM   #24

Model: ACE 30.1
THOR #17950
Propane

On my first rv trip, I accidentally turned the burner dial all the way down instead of to the off position(opposite direction). Didn't smell anything but at 2 am my alarm was going off. I aired out the rv not smelling anything went back to bed. 20 minutes later it went off again. I kept investigating until I found the knob in the low position with no flame. The detectors are very sensitive and it may have saved our lives.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:41 PM   #25

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Stop!!!

This is SERIOUS ah!t! You need to figure this out and know with ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY you don’t have a leak! Simple turn off the propane and duplicate what you previously did. Do you still smell it?
I hate it when threads on here morph and especially something as serious as this. All this talk about batteries and black tanks is non-sense. They do NOT smell the same or even close. The fact that it’s a new rig makes it even more likely in some respects. You need to figure it out or you could die in a way I wouldn’t wish on anyone.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:44 PM   #26

Model: Windsport 32R
State: South Carolina
THOR #17209
Usually a boiling battery is one that is being overcharged. check your voltage at the battery with the engine running. It should be about 14.4 volts. When on shore power, the converter usually puts out 13.5 or so. If you are over 14.4 volts get the alternator checked. If the voltage is lower, and it's still boiling, the battery is probably on its last legs. I don't know how many times I have read on this forum that a brand new rig had a dead battery.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:08 PM   #27

State: Michigan
THOR #10430
If I had just bought a motorhome new or used and smelled propane I would turn the tank off, take it back to where I bought it and get it fixed.
You are really playing with fire literally.
If you don't know anything about it we might be reading about you in the paper and see you on the news.
Absolutely nothing to mess around with
Old 05-09-2020, 11:20 PM   #28

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
OP hasn’t been back for a while. Hope that means his problem hasn’t recurred. Fortunately, the propane system is pretty simple to troubleshoot if you don’t mind getting dirty. Just fill a spray bottle with soapy water or buy some premixed leak detection solution. Start at the tank and spray every joint. Follow the black pipe under the coach and keep at it checking each fitting and branch and finally each appliance. If there’s a leak it’ll show. Usually the problem is that someone bumped a stove knob so that’s the first thing to look for.
Old 05-11-2020, 01:16 PM   #29

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: Kansas
THOR #11164
Quote:
So is it normal to smell propane in the RV when first starting out a trip? Or why would I be smelling propane? I'm pretty sure it's coming from the fridge. I am a new RV owner and user. Just popped my Camping cherry Yesterday and have all kinds of questions
Let me know if I can help, I am also in Kansas. Unsure how to privately send message, so please use 67semperfi11@gmail.com

Dave
Old 05-11-2020, 01:54 PM   #30

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Quote:
I did let the Vehicle Idle for a good 15-20 minutes as we did last minute preparations for the trip.
I do the same thing, and the entry door is usually open during that time. Our exhaust pipe is close to the doorway, and fumes enter the rig. Not very strong, but definitely noticeable and not a smell like propane. They clear pretty quickly once the door is closed and we get underway.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:12 PM   #31

Model: Outlaw 29J
THOR #18727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
I do the same thing, and the entry door is usually open during that time. Our exhaust pipe is close to the doorway, and fumes enter the rig. Not very strong, but definitely noticeable and not a smell like propane. They clear pretty quickly once the door is closed and we get underway.
Thank you, after a couple other camping trips now, no smell. However I have gotten a smell of the exhaust while going pre trip inspections. And it is what they were smelling the first time.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:39 PM   #32
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Ahh yes, the rotten egg exhaust smell.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:43 PM   #33

Model: Outlaw 29J
THOR #18727
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
Let me know if I can help, I am also in Kansas. Unsure how to privately send message, so please use 67semperfi11@gmail.com

Dave
Thank you Dave. I have your email saved. I'll try to send you an intro email.