Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2015, 11:15 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #1637
Smile Thor Vegas 24.1 Improvements we've done so far..

Hi all. 1st improvement-Lots of storage space under the couch! Open the couch/bed. Remove the lower front decorative piece from inside by removing the screws. Hinge the bottom edge of this front piece & just use Velcro along top edge to keep it closed.
2nd improve-Access to the Gray/Black drain valve is a really dumb design. Water doesn't flow uphill. The drain valve, altho stiff to move, will rotate to point up, down or any point in between. I've improved the situation by cutting a large hole in the bottom of the storage area under this valve. Connect the drain hose, stuff it up into the storage/Drain valve area & leave it there. When needed its much easier to pull the already connected hose down thru the new hole.
3rd-Extra length of Drain hose is always a good thing to have. To store it get a 4x4 inch x approx. 5ft. piece of round or square plastic PVC tubing. Paint to match RV and install it atop rear bumper.
4th-Remove that ugly plastic thing that covers the transmission area & insulate the inside of it to help reduce engine noise. Also carpet the outside of it & install a nice homemade storage shelf atop it for maps etc.
5th- The front of the Vegas is very low & the hood openings are large enough to allow rocks thrown up by truck to enter & possibly damage the lower part of the radiator. Install a thin wire mesh protector in front of radiator, behind the hood. I used a piece of old fireplace spark screen I had around. Easy to bend & strap in place with plastic tie wraps. Better material can be had at any home improvement store.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:17 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You may want to read this thread for more mod ideas:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...-3-go-820.html

To make connecting up to the dump valves/assembly easier I just put a clear 90 on, then the hose just exits straight down out of the existing hole. I do have to remove the 90 to get the cover back on but I just leave the 90 in that compartment.

I've also upgraded the radio:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...rade-1105.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:49 AM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #1637
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlooote View Post
Hi all. 1st improvement-Lots of storage space under the couch! Open the couch/bed. Remove the lower front decorative piece from inside by removing the screws. Hinge the bottom edge of this front piece & just use Velcro along top edge to keep it closed.
2nd improve-Access to the Gray/Black drain valve is a really dumb design. Water doesn't flow uphill. The drain valve, altho stiff to move, will rotate to point up, down or any point in between. I've improved the situation by cutting a large hole in the bottom of the storage area under this valve. Connect the drain hose, stuff it up into the storage/Drain valve area & leave it there. When needed its much easier to pull the already connected hose down thru the new hole.
3rd-Extra length of Drain hose is always a good thing to have. To store it get a 4x4 inch x approx. 5ft. piece of round or square plastic PVC tubing. Paint to match RV and install it atop rear bumper.
4th-Remove that ugly plastic thing that covers the transmission area & insulate the inside of it to help reduce engine noise. Also carpet the outside of it & install a nice homemade storage shelf atop it for maps etc.
5th- The front of the Vegas is very low & the hood openings are large enough to allow rocks thrown up by truck to enter & possibly damage the lower part of the radiator. Install a thin wire mesh protector in front of radiator, behind the hood. I used a piece of old fireplace spark screen I had around. Easy to bend & strap in place with plastic tie wraps. Better material can be had at any home improvement store.
Oops, one more thing 4 the under couch storage...U'll want to add 1x1inch supports to provide support 4 the front of couch that was done by the front decorative wood which is now a storage door. One on each side and 1 in the center.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:54 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
The couch storage sounds compelling. What you are describing is exactly how our couch was in our 5th wheel from the factory. Cool.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:56 AM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The sewer hose storage is one thing I miss about the class C. On that rig the rear bumper was the storage for 2 20 foot rino hoses. On this Challenger I am planning on a mod similar to yours for some time this summer. Right now all my hoses are in a big plastic container in a side storage compartment. Since this rig has no bumpers I will have to go with an under coach or inside a pass through system.

Have you thought about or tried making the PVC storage removable so it can dual purpose as the hose support system instead of using a slinky?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:05 AM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
For the one I made (in the Axis mods thread linked above) the original design called for using a piece of plastic gutter as a shelf so you can pull the hose out. The gutter also doubles as a support. In addition you could use two pieces (one on top, upside down) to get another section of support for longer hose runs.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:02 AM   #7

State: Colorado
THOR #1654
who's 90 degree fitting did you use
Old 03-26-2015, 05:23 AM   #8

THOR #1654
Has anyone tried to connect the DVD of the in dash Radio to the above door an the outside TV on a Axis
Old 03-26-2015, 07:47 AM   #9

Model: Challenger/37ND
State: Texas
THOR #1706
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlooote View Post
Excellent idea even for my motor coach. tks/Mikey
2015 Thor Challenger 37ND
mikensallyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:29 AM   #10

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Has anyone tried to connect the DVD of the in dash Radio to the above door an the outside TV on a Axis
On my Ace there is a video out port that an external tv could be hooked up.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:10 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #1327
charloote,

You made some great improvements. Is there any chance you have some photos of what you did as I have some questions and a picture might answer them.

Evergreen 49