Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2022, 04:56 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alberta
THOR #26063
Purchased used 2018 Thor Chateau 28Z… What to look out for

Purchased a used 2018 Thor Chateau 28z!

So excited for adventures for my young family out of Calgary Alberta!

Any thoughts on things to look out for when I do the final walk through?

Also, I have a 30 day comprehensive warranty from the dealer that starts May 1 plus still under Ford for Chassis till Nov.

Old 02-23-2022, 12:54 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! There are countless PDI checklists on n the web. I think there is one in the Ed Felker Vegas/Axis manual on this site. Its a sticky under Tech Topics.

The short answer is try EVERYTHING and take your time and a video to review later. Those first 30 days evaporate quickly. Try to use it if you can, just don't let it freeze, including the water heater! (Don't ask how I know that!)
Old 02-23-2022, 01:26 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Agree 100% on the PDI checklist. Lift the mattress and check the wood support underneath for water damage... our 24F is a different floorplan, but worth checking. Also lift the bunk-over-cab mattress and check there too. Water leaks are extremely destructive to RVs. It might be late, but even hiring a certified inspector? Although if you've already signed... and almost out of warranty... ? If you're like most, you'll likely be surprised by something down the road you missed.

BUT... diving in headfirst and getting out there is the goal... take the little inconveniences in stride... it's part of the journey!! . Those magnificent Provincial parks you guys have up there are in our future plans!!
Old 02-26-2022, 06:36 AM   #4

State: Alberta
THOR #26063
Appreciate the advice, especially lifting the bed up!

Going to thoroughly take a look at pick up and bringing along a mechanic! Lucky for me the warranty starts the day I pick up, so hasn’t started yet

Big thing here is ice damage on the roof from freeze/thaw so going to get a cover for the winter, make sure it is sealed good up there

Can’t wait to go use it! So lucky to have so much great camping! Lots of free crown land too!

Tags
chateau, inspection, thor, warranty