Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2018, 01:56 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13999
Angry Quantum rc25

Anyone else have a Quantum rc25 motorhome and the slide out does not seal along the bottom. It has been an issue sense I got it new 6 months ago along with many other issues not happy with Thor or the motorhome

Old 12-16-2018, 02:42 AM   #2

Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
Hate to have to say it but welcome to the Thor Buyers' Remorse Club. There are likely thousands of us who have learned the hard way, after being victimized by Thor's inferior products. Club motto is "Never another Thor". As for us, we're just trying to make the best of it. I'm fortunate in that I can do many repairs and much of the preventive maintenance, to head off issues that are trying to become problems, myself. And, I'd dump ours but don't want to lose $25K to $30K doing it. So, we'll try to make the most of it for the next few years, keeping ours together with chewing gum and bailing wire.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:08 AM   #3

THOR #13999
I think you are right the more I read about Thor Industries the more I am convinced they are building the cheapest thing they possibly can and as fast as they can. They have taken our hard-earned money and destroyed our dream of seeing the USA in an RV after retirement. I think we need to get the hundreds of thousands of people together and have a class action lawsuit against them.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:07 PM   #4

Model: Gemini
State: Louisiana
THOR #13359
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
I think you are right the more I read about Thor Industries the more I am convinced they are building the cheapest thing they possibly can and as fast as they can. They have taken our hard-earned money and destroyed our dream of seeing the USA in an RV after retirement. I think we need to get the hundreds of thousands of people together and have a class action lawsuit against them.
Right on
Old 12-17-2018, 10:15 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Talk is cheap...do it and quit whining!!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:11 AM   #6

Model: Challenger 37lx
State: Oklahoma
THOR #10261
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post

Hey Ritz do you work for Thor? Just saying! You sound like your under their influence!
Old 12-18-2018, 12:18 AM   #7

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Welcome Jeepster, New RV's have a few bugs to work out. Hopefully someone here can help you instead of telling you what you did wrong.

Im very happy with my RV but I did a lot of small repairs myself. If its within the first year Thor will take care of it. You will have to force your local dealer to fix it right and ride them hard the entire time.

Hang in there.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:35 AM   #8

THOR #13999
I have a meeting with Thor regional representative tomorrow I have a lot to say to him about the RV and now that I know how many people are dissatisfied with there RV'S. I'm going to give him an ear full
Old 12-18-2018, 02:35 AM   #9

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Yes talk is cheap. Sadly many of us put our life savings into our MH and don't have the luxury of dumping it at a loss, or giving it up to arbitration legal fights, or to retain class action lawyers.

I did quit whining... I actively influence others to buy from the competition. In 2 seasons of traveling nearly 18,000 miles in my 2018 POS I've managed to be directly involved with influencing over $2.3 million dollars in verifiable lost sales. The most recent was a $109,000 Class A Forest River Georgetown GT5 purchased new at a dealer in Elkhart Indiana.

Yes there are happy Thor customers. Sadly Thor chooses which ones to make happy and which ones to simply ignore or make token attempts to appease them. Rest assured I will never be able to bankrupt them.... but I do find satisfaction each time I persuade someone to buy elsewhere.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:11 AM   #10

THOR #13999
I will also make it my mission to tell everyone I can not to buy anything made by Thor and I'm trying to get KDKA news involved and run a story on Thor Industries and how there cheep RV's are crushing retirement dreams of hitting the road and seeing THE GREAT USA
Old 12-18-2018, 01:25 PM   #11

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
Life "airforceret", I'm also conducting a 1 man campaign to discourage folks from buying anything Thor builds. In campgrounds, gas stations, rest stops, etc., we often get inquiries about our Axis 25.5. I tell them that yes, they look good and have great floor plans but that's about where the positives end. Build quality sucks and is made worse by Thor's use of the cheapest components and equipment available. And, as to warranty repair, be prepared to wait and wait and wait. Some owners have repair appointments booked months away. Our Axis spent almost 2 of the first 3 months we owned it at the dealer for repairs. And, your warranty won't be extended for the months you couldn't use your RV while it sat in dealers' repair facilities, which was a couple of months in our case. As others have noted, we can't afford to get out from under our's so we're using it and patching things myself when needed. Only positive on repairs is the chassis is guaranteed by Ford for 3 yrs/36K miles. Haven't had to use it yet, but at least its there.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:39 PM   #12

THOR #13999
I know there goal is to use up as much of your one year warranty as posable making you wait months for repairs so that the piece of junk they built becomes your problem
Old 12-18-2018, 02:25 PM   #13

THOR #12231
I guess I was lucky, not many problems and most were fixed the first year. But I did fix a ton of small things myself that costed me zero or very little money.

I think If I had major problems that the local dealer could not fix in one month I would take my RV to Wakarusa IN to have them fix it right the first time.

I hear nothing but good news about them.

But its so hard for many of us since IN might be a day (or two or three) from home and we have to work.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 12-18-2018, 02:44 PM   #14

THOR #11130
I'll retract my insensitive remarks and apologize...this isn't the real me. There's nothing worse than paying what we do and having ongoing issues. I had them myself. Furnace never worked from new (they found a loose screw in the squirrel cage)...hot water heater never worked on electric side from new. Cabinet latches placed in wrong positions, city water leaked just behind the wall, etc., etc., etc. I just compensated for them, kept adding stuff to the list over the next 6 months and just completed a trip to Wakarusa for factory warranty work. If the dealer service network was worth a crap, these issues would be fixed as they develop, not adding up and creating such frustration. I made the call to purchase a high end unit and expected some issues with it...it's not the first RV I've owned. Some people just have too high of expectations, want everything to work absolutely perfectly in their lives and have no tolerance to anything different. RVing is a great life...plan a road trip to Wakarusa...you have to make an appointment a few months out but they run a tight ship there. They had me in and out in 2 days while I toured Elkhart and did 2 factory tours. They go far and beyond your list. They will find things you don't even know. If you are out of warranty, their labor rate is only $100 per hour. Dealer rates are $150+ and the first 2 hours they charge you is trying to find the furnace/water heater/entry door, so time is saved. Not a paid Thor Voice but a Happy Camper. You already own it...might as well just fix it right and enjoy it....or sell it, write it off and be a Happy Uncamper. Their slogan at the Service Center..."we didn't build your coach but we can fix it for you".
Old 12-18-2018, 04:55 PM   #15

THOR #12231
Yep, exactly. Make the best of the RV you have. They are a blast to own but no one ever said it would be easy (or cheap).

If we didnt have pain or problems once in a while we would know how good we have it when everything is going great (or even normal).

I think once most of us gets past the first year of ownership of any RV (New or used / any brand) we start enjoying it more.

Plus we know them like the back of our hand since we have to fix many different things already.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:12 PM   #16

THOR #11130
I'm there...just crossed over the 10 month mark...had my issues...got them repaired and love the Gift!! I'm sure I'll have more but one of the biggest benefits of the factory tour is learning where everything is placed behind the walls and under the counters and cabinets. I know some think the techs that build these things run around smoking dope and having western-style staple gun fights, hoping a stray staple might occasionally hit a coach in just the right spot, but it's pretty impressive how the quality checkpoints are established throughout the process. The Red-Yellow-Green final QC inspections are impressive as well. Seems it's a fairly new process and working really well. I did find out the pay system is piece-mill, not hourly. Every issue found during the final inspections is returned to the area of assembly for repair. If every road was glass, life would be great. I think more than half the issues we have are from bouncing down these 200+ year old highways with cracks, craters and separation. Not to mention...overloading! I am really pleased with Thor and this coach!
Old 12-18-2018, 06:45 PM   #17

THOR #12231
Yep, I sure hope they QC gets better on these RV's.

"200 year old" roads? Are you driving on Dirt roads? LOL.

Heck the interstate sysetem is only about 70 years old for the oldest of roads.

But yep... lots of crummy roads. I went downtown on SUN with the RV and they have a large section of brick paved roads.... I had to slow down to 20mph and it still rattled my teeth.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:16 PM   #18

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Bad design is partly responsible for poor quality, ride, etc...

If you build correctly something that is designed poorly, how can it come out right?

I’m not saying build quality is always good, but we need to look at design also.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:41 PM   #19

THOR #11130
Agree...but the cost would skyrocket. That would be fine with me, though. I'd rather pay twice the price and have ZERO issues. It's an industry driven by fluff and price. Whoever perceives the most fluff for the cheapest price...that's what they will buy. I asked them last week if someone came in at any price and wanted to custom design and build an RV, would they do it. Nope...it would tie up assembly and they could make 10-15 others in the same amount of time it would take them to custom build one and every one they build is already sold.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:27 PM   #20

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I’m not talking about those kinds of design issues. There is a lot they can design better without adding manufacturing cost — granted it takes more design and engineering up front. But since many floorplans are built in volume, the added design and engineering cost per unit would be minimal. In many cases it may save costs in long run.

Many things like flexible structures, poor weight distribution, high center of gravity, low load capacity, generator exhaust located under slides, poor access for maintenance of equipment, loud engine noise, etc... don’t cost much to improve.

In my opinion if they can’t build something right at the needed price point, they shouldn’t build it at all. However, because of competition, they know some other manufacturer will, hence race to bottom in quality.

Either buyers have to get more educated and selective, or else we need tougher government oversight (similar to autos). Neither likely to happen in my opinion.