Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2017, 04:33 PM   #1

State: California
THOR #6744
question about fresh water holding tank

we have a 2016 thor chateau 28z. when I fill up the fresh water tank and then go camping and hook up to the city water, I notice that the fresh water will spill out as if it is overflowing. does the city water fill the fresh tank first and then we use it or are the systems seperate?

Old 04-04-2017, 05:35 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
They are the same water system; however, in one case the water line from the city water connection is plumbed directly into the cold water lines. In the second case, the fresh water tank is plumbed into the water pump and that is then also plumbed into the cold water system. So either water under pressure is being supplied from the city water connection or under pressure from the fresh water tank when the water pump is running.

I had basically the same thing happen as you on my 2015 Vegas. We were on city water and I could hear water running inside and outside the RV. I went outside and water was pouring out the overflow vent at the fresh water tank fill. We had an empty fresh water tank when we left home and had not filled it when we arrived at the RV park.

Went inside and looked under the passenger side rear twin bed and the fresh water tank was completely full (tank walls bulging full). Water was back feeding through the water pump from the cold water lines and filling the tank through the water pump. I could hear the water running trough the water pump into the fresh water tank.

I turned off the city water. Went inside and turned on the water pump and opened the kitchen faucet & bathroom vanity cold water valves and ran it for about 5 or 10 mins. Turned off the water pump. Opened the fresh water tank drain and drained the tank. When the tank was empty I turned the city water back on and all was well. No more water back filling trough the pump into the water tank.

Apparently a piece of debris had gotten stuck in the water pump's flow valve allowing water under pressure when city water was on to flow through the check valve, through the pump and into the tank.

That happened several months ago and I have not had a problem since.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:54 AM   #3

State: Illinois
THOR #5321
A simple answer to your question is no. When hooked up to city water make sure pump is off. You will draw directly from city water by passing the holding tank. When traveling or not hooked up to city water your water switch should be in the normal position and when you want to use water turn on the pump. Never turn on pump when hooked up to city water.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:38 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Question, should you turn off the connection between the fresh water tank and the water pump when on city water? I just figured that was what the valve was for....
Old 04-19-2017, 11:18 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike
Question, should you turn off the connection between the fresh water tank and the water pump when on city water? I just figured that was what the valve was for....
Nope. That valve is for when you are winterizing. It is to prevent the pump from sucking from the tank (when winterizing you want the pump to get its input from the antifreeze bottle).

The pump's check valves should prevent any backflow into the tank (unless there is some debris in the pump).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:30 PM   #6

State: Illinois
THOR #5321
My unit has two position for water use. 1. Is marked normal. This is for when you are traveling not hooked to city water. This is using the fresh water tank water and you have to turn pump on for it to work. 2. Is marked city water. When you turn the knob to this and hook up the hose your water goes straight into the system bypassing the holding tank and pump should be off. A side note when hooked up to city water you should have a pressure regulator on the hose. Each campground has different water pressure. One with real high pressure could blow your lines out
Old 04-19-2017, 11:51 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisek View Post
we have a 2016 thor chateau 28z. when I fill up the fresh water tank and then go camping and hook up to the city water, I notice that the fresh water will spill out as if it is overflowing. does the city water fill the fresh tank first and then we use it or are the systems seperate?
There is a check valve that prevents backflow from city water to the tank. Either the valve is bad,rare, or it has some crud holding it open.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:08 PM   #8

Model: WINDSPORT
State: Texas
THOR #4417
Just discovered the water dripping out of overflow at fresh water tank fill on our 2016 Windsport. Remembered seeing this post some time back and just tried the suggestion after turning off the city water. Drained tank about half way with cold water faucet in kitchen and both bathrooms. Glad this post was here to know it may be as simple as that for the fix for it.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:01 AM   #9

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Run water from your tank with the pump for a while t9 clear the debris & then turn faucet/city water back & see if it still fills tank.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote