Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2017, 02:28 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
You know, I am probably lucky or dumb or both. I don't understand all this stuff about handling. No mods have been made to my 2017 Axis and I have no problems. 18 Wheelers don't bother me meeting at high speed on two lane roads or flying by me on the interstates. I've been lashed by rainstorms and violent winds and do the same as in my car - slow down so I can see and turn on my flashers so the guy that believes nothing will ever go wrong can see me as he approaches my rear end at a ridiculous for the conditions speed. I am usually towing. Does that make handling better?

Old 10-27-2017, 02:47 AM   #22
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
You know, I am probably lucky or dumb or both. I don't understand all this stuff about handling. No mods have been made to my 2017 Axis and I have no problems. 18 Wheelers don't bother me meeting at high speed on two lane roads or flying by me on the interstates. I've been lashed by rainstorms and violent winds and do the same as in my car - slow down so I can see and turn on my flashers so the guy that believes nothing will ever go wrong can see me as he approaches my rear end at a ridiculous for the conditions speed. I am usually towing. Does that make handling better?
You realize it's illegal to drive with your flashers on? It's also dangerous for the guy behind you as it takes longer to recognize you have applied your brakes.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:56 AM   #23

THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
You realize it's illegal to drive with your flashers on? It's also dangerous for the guy behind you as it takes longer to recognize you have applied your brakes.
Gosh! Someone should inform all of those professional truckers about their law breaking flashers being on when they're creeping up hills or going down those steep grades. Someone needs to take action fast!
Besides, the guy behind is an idiot. Most of the time I'm one of the few sane drivers out there.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:59 AM   #24
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Gosh! Someone should inform all of those professional truckers about their law breaking flashers being on when they're creeping up hills or going down those steep grades. Someone needs to take action fast!
Where are those hills or grades at in Florida?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:18 AM   #25

THOR #4466
Quote:

Have a great weekend.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:29 AM   #26

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
You are lucky..... Our Axis was in dire need of an alignment when we took it for a test drive and then were given many excuses during the PDI as to why it pulled so hard to the right when I came to a stop. Then I took it to the Ford dealer who told me that it needed an alignment and that they were not responsible for the cost to do it. All was taken care of as time went on with the help of my wallet. Yep, you are lucky but then we all are pretty lucky to be able to drive down the road in a RV.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:55 AM   #27
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Its actually the law to use flashers in some (northern at least) states if traveling below 40mph on interstate to alert other drivers...
Actually searching - appears 21 states allow it (some 'unless otherwise posted') - laws can also vary by type of vehicle - trucks vs cars...
Not all laws are consistent across the country.

Edit: AAA link with laws on hazzard light use:
http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/hazard-light-use/
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:13 AM   #28
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
For our Axis there were two stickers inside (one by the driver and one by the panel) indicating it needed an alignment within 100 miles or so. In addition our salesman told us to get one.

The only other mod I've put on ours is the Sumo springs in the front. I too didn't really have much of a problem driving the Axis around except for the "wallowing" it did--the Sumo's took care of that.

I've found that if you've had any experience driving an Econoline van (or E-Series) then you have no issues driving the Axis/Vegas around (since its the same underneath). (Would probably be the same for most Ford based Class C's as well.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:21 AM   #29

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
When I travel between Texas and Florida there are a couple if hills steep enough to cause my Honda minivan to downshift at interstate speeds. Trucks that are loaded down can slow down considerably.

One is on I-10 east bound in the panhandle -- don't recall exactly where, just that it's between Pensacola and Tallahassee. The other is on Florida Turnpike going southbound somewhere north of Orlando. Going north years ago I could put my old Mustang in neutral and roll at over 70 MPH for a mile or so.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:44 AM   #30

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

....cut....

I've found that if you've had any experience driving an Econoline van (or E-Series) then you have no issues driving the Axis/Vegas around (since its the same underneath). (Would probably be the same for most Ford based Class C's as well.)
A few days ago I read about a new super-sized van that is longer than your Axis; both in total length and wheelbase. And you may appreciate that for US it will be electric. I'm not suggesting electric drive would work as a motorhome.

The original vehicle manufactured overseas could make a huge Class B with many of the advantages of a compact "A" and also OEM advantages like doors and fit-and-finish of a "C".
Old 10-27-2017, 01:18 PM   #31

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:

Me too! My 26 foot Freedom Elite Class C and I get along just fine in traffic, construction, high winds and everything in between. We’ve been out west with 80mph speed limits and “wind advisories” and in storms that might have frightened Noah. I had the alignment checked shortly after purchase and I added a Safe-T-Steer before our trip out west mostly on the strength of reports on this and other forums. It certainly didn’t hurt anything but I’m not convinced that I needed it either. Maybe there is some odd synergy of construction variances that work just right in some machines and we’re just lucky. I certainly don’t feel like I have exceptional driving skills or even the kind of reflexes I had in previous decades. But I’m a happy camper and feel very fortunate as I read the stories of handling and quality issues here - that I don’t have.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:33 AM   #32

State: Alabama
THOR #9784
A vs C

I flip flopped back and forth on the A versus C. I thought a C might be more natural to drive giving the feel of the the smaller cab. Then it occurred to me that it might not be a good idea to be driving something over 9 feet wide with the false feeling that I am driving something smaller. Also I am a bit cluasterphobic so the larger cab and the feeling that it is part of the living area sold me on the class A. I also like being able to see the road ahead of me over the tops of the cars ahead of me. Also, one of the biggest problems I have is with overhead obstacles (tree branches in town), which seem easier for me to judge in a class A. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:57 AM   #33

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
We have considered going bigger than our Vegas. Giving up the utility and ability to park anywhere will be difficult. We have 10,000 miles driving it. Very used to it. Handling is better than expected, will likely add sumo and sway bars.

Wife did not like poor visibility in class C when she test drove. Is also intimidated by the bigger class A size. She is very comfortable cruising along in Vegas towing racecar trailer at 70 MPH.

Recently we went to RV show, she was fond of Windsport 31Z, I was fond of Miramar (3,800 lb cargo capacity). Ultimately we have decided to stick to simplicity of Vegas 24.1.

This was our 1st RV, we either got real lucky or quality is not as bad as it appears on forums. Any issue we have is related to flexing of house. We get 9 to 11 MPG. Doubt anything bigger will do better.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:13 PM   #34

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Driving a class A, at least my experience with our 41 foot DP, was that it was very easy to drive, very pleasant ride, just big when you got to where ever you were going. I would be more concerned going into a six or seven year old coach, that has had unknown treatment and servicing. There can be a lot of hidden problems in a coach that age.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:00 PM   #35
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I want to thank everybody for the information that I've learned from this thread.
But the point of it has been rendered moot: the Class A Outlaw that we were thinking about has turned out to have been pretty much abused, and used-up...

So there's no trading...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:21 AM   #36

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’ve noticed that mileage is absolutely NO indication of an RVs condition! People sometimes live in them without driving them much. Or always only camp “locally”. Before we bought our unit we went to the dealer to look at a 4 year old unit that only had about 10000 miles. The price was excellent but the vehicle was worse than awful. I actually think they had it in stock just to get people in the door and looking! I’d be really careful buying used. I understand there are bargains to be had. But I’d be careful. To your original question, if I had it to do over I’d get a Class A in a heartbeat. In my opinion, other things being equal (ie, no alignment or other issues) the Class As drive better and are generally better suited to their purpose than Class Cs. The cab doors in a C are nice but the chassis in all but the smallest units seem to be right at or even beyond their design limits. The traditional As are designed for the bigger load. And the view is better in every respect. Just my humble opinion. And, as someone pointed out, to each his own. That’s why they make both.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:31 AM   #37

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
In reality an older motor home with low mileage is a red flag. If they don't get used regularly they develop what is called 'lot rot'. Dealers taking in trades are very wary of units with too low mileage on them.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:37 PM   #38

THOR #2121
A vs C

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKDogMan View Post
I flip flopped back and forth on the A versus C. .....cut......

That's understandable because there appears to be many pros and cons to both As and Cs. One of the things I like best about Cs is the OEM-vehicle fit and finish and also greater availability of replacement parts; granted that comes at expense of much less space in cab area.

What would help is a wider van cab for Class Cs. The picture below shows how much room there is in a cab merely 7 inches wider than typical Ford E-Series or Chevy Express. A slightly wider cab would be even better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5744.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	7542  
Old 10-29-2017, 05:50 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Chance,
While I agree that a wider cab would be nice: it'd throw the pricing out the window.
Anybody building these cab/chassis setups for motorhomes, would have to come up with new bodywork from the ground-up!
You might as well just buy a Class A...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:25 PM   #40

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
.....cut.....

You might as well just buy a Class A...

Sounds like you're assuming everyone thinks a Class A is better.

Also, when dealing with luxury items like RVs, it's not always about the price. Many buyers want what they want even when it costs more.