Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2020, 04:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria
State: New Jersey
THOR #17864
Definitely a newbie day today

I've driven 2 older Class C's in my RV experience. We just bought the Thor Miramar class A so I am getting used to a lot of new technology. So today I got gas and drove her back to the parking spot on the side of the house. Left the engine running (on this model the engine needs to run to use the jacks or slides). Leveled and put the slides out.

Now here was the new thing I learned. When I went to lower the night shade to keep the sun out it only went about a 1/4 down. Now I am thinking that I have my first real problem and the thought of bringing the rig back to the dealer before our first trip this month is starting to depress me.

Then I realize that the RV won't let me close the shade all the way because it thinks I am driving. Turned off the engine and it closed all the way.

That was cool. Probably old hat stuff to most everyone but I had no idea of that safety feature.

Blue Ox Tow Kit
Newf026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:38 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Sometimes those problems are just things that we haven't yet sorted out...
Glad to hear that this one is behind you!

So how did it drive???
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:36 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
yes, it's a 'safety' feature, to keep your vision from being accidentally 'blocked' while driving!

and, for some more 'tid bits':

if you have it set higher than you'd like, while already underway, and would like to lower it, you actually still can - while it might not let you 'lower' it from where it is, run it ALL THE WAY UP, then you can 'lower' it down as far as it will go, all while driving - this is a good option when driving WEST while the sun is setting.
It may not be as low as you'd like it, it gives you an option.

if you lower it to where you might want it, BEFORE starting the coach, you can certainly LEAVE it there for the trip....once you let it up, though, it won't come down again - at least not without doing option 1, above.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:48 PM   #4

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post

- while it might not let you 'lower' it from where it is, run it ALL THE WAY UP, then you can 'lower' it down as far as it will go, all while driving - this is a good option when driving WEST while the sun is setting.
It may not be as low as you'd like it, it gives you an option.
Wow, I drive due West into Dallas from Arkansas all the time and it is always a pain. I didn't know Option 1 existed, option 2 would require me to stop as the sun begin to set because I prolly would not want to start the trip with it that low.

My RV is with Dealer with Mfg warranty items; but when I get it back, Option 1 will be the 1st thing I try. I hope the Winnebago 29VE allows for the same manual override while moving?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:58 PM   #5

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf026 View Post
I've driven 2 older Class C's in my RV experience. We just bought the Thor Miramar class A so I am getting used to a lot of new technology. So today I got gas and drove her back to the parking spot on the side of the house. Left the engine running (on this model the engine needs to run to use the jacks or slides). Leveled and put the slides out.

Now here was the new thing I learned. When I went to lower the night shade to keep the sun out it only went about a 1/4 down. Now I am thinking that I have my first real problem and the thought of bringing the rig back to the dealer before our first trip this month is starting to depress me.

Then I realize that the RV won't let me close the shade all the way because it thinks I am driving. Turned off the engine and it closed all the way.

That was cool. Probably old hat stuff to most everyone but I had no idea of that safety feature.
Congrats on new coach, you really did go all out. Mine requires that I least have the key in the ignition before slide or leveling will work. Emergency brake is also required before it will level. Then the mfg says it is recommended to have engine running for maximum power; so I usually will have engine running. If engine is running and levelers are down it beeps like crazy; in addition there is red light on driver instrument panel. So when I get set (leveled), I have to turn the engine off; or otherwise the beeping will drive us nuts. I do love those automatic drop down blackout shades.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:35 AM   #6

THOR #17864
Thanks for the tip about lowering it while driving. There's going to be a lot of new stuff to learn in this thing and it good to get real life feedback like this.
Blue Ox Tow Kit
Old 03-09-2020, 02:22 PM   #7

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
After putting slides out or in ALWAYS continue to hold button down for at least 5 seconds after they stop,also the over cab bunk.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:47 PM   #8

THOR #17864
Yes I read that in the owners manual and have been doing it religiously when both extending and retracting. Especially after reading about all of the slide problems I see on the forum. On the full wall slide I have the 3Trax system. I am hoping that's a good thing. So far so good. Thanks.
Blue Ox Tow Kit
Old 03-09-2020, 08:49 PM   #9

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
3 Trac works fine we're 20months fulltime no problems.