Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2018, 07:25 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: British Columbia
THOR #808
Gassing up a big gasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggie View Post
My 2017 29.4 Thor Ace is the biggest gas RV I've ever owned and it's sometimes hard to get in and out of the automobile section of a truck stop. In general, do the pumps around back where the Big Rigs fuel up with diesel also have gas pumps? That would simplify things a lot when pulling a tow vehicle.
The discussion on the pros and cons of Class A gas and Class A diesel will still be ongoing when we're all long gone. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. Refuelling a Class A gas motorhome is one of the disadvantages of gas unit. Your unit will have some good features so enjoy what's good and put up with what's not. As others have written, I too have not seen gas offered in the truck refuelling lanes. Love those $35 oil changes!

Old 01-10-2018, 07:37 PM   #42

Model: Windsport 35M
State: Michigan
THOR #7496
I've gotten in some tight places at Flying J's with our 35' Windsport, and dingy.
Haven't found one yet, with a gas motor home pump.
Before we leave in the morning, I try and figure out the general area where we'll need gas. Then get on Google Maps, Satellite view, and look for a station with easy access.
I actually emailed Flying J Customer service, to see if they had a list of stations with rv pumps.
What they sent me was a spread sheet, about 6 pages long. I had to go through it by state and find the stations with rv lanes listed.
But it doesn't say weather thet're diesel or gas lanes.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:58 PM   #43

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #3946
Every Flying J that I have used From FL To OR and back had Gas and Diesel at the RV lanes.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:11 PM   #44
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcheapo View Post
Every Flying J that I have used From FL To OR and back had Gas and Diesel at the RV lanes.
You just have to know where to look...

If you think of it as a Cross-Country Scavenger Hunt: it makes it almost seem fun!

...almost...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:34 PM   #45

Model: Windsport 35M
State: Michigan
THOR #7496
Nice, Haven't found one yet, drive from michigan to florida.
Guess i don't know where to look. Usually drive around by the truck pumps first, to scope it out.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:48 PM   #46

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
My iphone has a Flying J app. It cost 99 cents and shows all Flying J stations and also if they have DEF, RV island, RV dump, Propane. Many show the affiliation with gas companies for credit card use and gives Google Earth shots.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:46 PM   #47

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
My iphone has a Flying J app. It cost 99 cents and shows all Flying J stations and also if they have DEF, RV island, RV dump, Propane. Many show the affiliation with gas companies for credit card use and gives Google Earth shots.
At all the Flying Js I have refueled at, there are two entrances, one for AUTOS/RVS and one for TRUCKS ONLY. If you enter at the AUTOS/RVs entry, the RV lanes have always been to the far left and leave plenty of room for you to drive out, turn between the auto refueling lanes and the store parking, with room to spare. There are also well marked big, long parking spaces, usually near the front corner near the exit. If you enter the TRUCKS ONLY entry, there will not be any RV lanes. See attached screen capture. Hopefully it helps.Click image for larger version

Name:	Flying J.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	8510
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:53 PM   #48

THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
At all the Flying Js I have refueled at, there are two entrances, one for AUTOS/RVS and one for TRUCKS ONLY. If you enter at the AUTOS/RVs entry, the RV lanes have always been to the far left and leave plenty of room for you to drive out, turn between the auto refueling lanes and the store parking, with room to spare. There are also well marked big, long parking spaces, usually near the front corner near the exit. If you enter the TRUCKS ONLY entry, there will not be any RV lanes. See attached screen capture. Hopefully it helps.Attachment 8510
I don't know why this posted as a response to the post from mountainsam, I clicked on the Quote button for bobj73's post and didn't notice it actually quoted mountainsam's until after I submitted it.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 01-11-2018, 01:24 AM   #49

Brand: Keystone
State: North Carolina
THOR #5391
Not near as bad but I recall pulling a TT with a gasser and no one made an auxiliary gas tank. When I went to a DP always used the truck lanes and still do pulling a 5er with a diesel PU and an auxiliary fuel tank. Great having DEF at the pump too.

Yes, you get a gas/fuel discount with the Good Sam member card. When using the truck lanes at Pilot/Flying J you do not need to go in by using the safest card available ~~ their RV Plus card.

Edgewater 205 EXP
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:29 AM   #50

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
My Good Sam card works at the Pilot gas pumps.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:03 PM   #51

State: Texas
THOR #1454
Pilot/Flying J has an "app" you can download on your smart phone that shows whether a particular station has designated RV lanes.

Also, if you get a Pilot/Flying J credit card, you can fill up without the pump shutting off at $75.00.

Hope this helps.

Chief
Old 01-11-2018, 06:34 PM   #52
Fid

State: North Carolina
THOR #3851
Went across the country from the coast of NC to Olympic National Park and back in my Miramar 34.3 towing a Jeep with a bike rack on back which gave me almost 60' in length. Fueling up was a challenge we didn't relish.

I will have to echo what everyone else said here about the Flying J locations and the Good Sam's discount. Just make sure you have your Good Sam's card because you can't manually enter the Good Sam's number at the pump to get your Good Sam's discount- although you can manually enter a Pilot/Flying J account number and get the lower discount.

What I haven't seen mentioned and what we found to be MOST helpful and what I highly recommend is a book (they also have an app) called The Next Exit. The great thing about this is that is lists for each state and for each interstate in that state the RV Friendly amenities for every exit- no matter if it were a Pilot/Flying J or not.

When we were on 1/4 tank my wife would get the book out and look for a RV friendly gas station along our route. it doesn't get specific enough to tell you if a location actually has separate bays for RV with gasoline but it never failed us on our 7,600 mile trip.

I also like the fact that you can get a book for those of us (like my wife) who aren't so savvy with apps.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:45 AM   #53

THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandaj View Post
Pilot/Flying J has an "app" you can download on your smart phone that shows whether a particular station has designated RV lanes.

Also, if you get a Pilot/Flying J credit card, you can fill up without the pump shutting off at $75.00.

Hope this helps.

Chief
I have regularly used my Visa and AMEX cards at Flying J and Pilot without it shutting off at a certain amount. I've put in $125 - $160 several times.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 01-12-2018, 03:53 AM   #54

State: Texas
THOR #1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
I have regularly used my Visa and AMEX cards at Flying J and Pilot without it shutting off at a certain amount. I've put in $125 - $160 several times.
We use a Discover Card on trips and 90%+ stations shut me down at $75. Discover says it's not their policy, it's the vendor's policy. Most of the time I can shut down, insert the card again and start over to top off the tank. It is a PITA.

Chief