Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2018, 09:20 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #10785
Should we buy?

We are looking at purchasing a 2017 or 2018 Thor ACE 30.2. We wanted to know if you like or dislike yours. It would be our first Class A. We currently have a Class B. Thank you.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:06 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: California
THOR #2485
you can always try renting an ACE to try one out. El Monte RV rent's them and has two locations in Florida
Old 02-21-2018, 03:24 AM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
We recently upgraded to a 29ft class A (from a C) and totally love it. Ours isn’t an ACE so can’t really help with your specific question but I’m guessing you’ll love it.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:38 AM   #4

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Jellybeans View Post
We are looking at purchasing a 2017 or 2018 Thor ACE 30.2. We wanted to know if you like or dislike yours. It would be our first Class A. We currently have a Class B. Thank you.
We bought a new A.C.E. 30.3 last summer and have enjoyed it a lot so far. The only thing I would recommend is know what features you want and don't talk yourself out of them because the ones they have in stock don't have it or you see something else that has features you haven't thought about, but do not have the features you had wanted. We really liked the bathroom setup in the 30.3 and the outside kitchen. After a few trips out, especially a few days with two adult sons camping with us, I wish we hadn't talked ourselves out of a bath and a half (or two full baths) and bunks.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:56 AM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We're in a Class C, so I've got nothing for you...

Other than to welcome you, and wish you the best of luck in your search!
Old 02-21-2018, 10:43 AM   #6

Model: A. C. E. 30.1
THOR #1488
We have a 2015 ACE 30.1 we bought in early 2015 so three years and 15,000 miles. The floor plan was a big selling point for us and we are still very happy with that. There have been a few problems but being a homeowner and somewhat handy around the house nothing serious enough to go to the dealer for. Jim.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:45 AM   #7

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
We have the 2016 ACE 30.1 and overall like it. You may want to do the CHF and maybe add a rear Trac Bar to help with the control while driving. Our couch is very uncomfortable and hurts my back, I'm looking to replace with recliners. Most of our complaints have been minor things that broke down during the 1st year, but on our last 3500 mile trip everything worked and I didn't have to take it in for any repairs.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:59 AM   #8

Model: 34p
State: California
THOR #8973
I would never by another Thor

I just bought a 34p Thor and love the layout and Ford chassis. I have only had it a couple of months and the water heater, the coach batteries I paid to replace myself. The water heater I repaired myself. Now the refrigerator isn't working. You ask about a warranty Thor in reality doesn't have one if no place will accept it. I wouldn't reccommend any Thor not because of those major issue but I have nuts, screws from rails, glue from carpet and molding never applied. My opinion it is the most shabby and quality control over any product I have seen. So buyer beware. Still love my layout but Thor and Giant RV gets a thumbs down.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:43 AM   #9

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
We have a 30.2 bought it in 2017 cuz we need the bunks. The coach has given us no troubles. The 6.8L has plenty of power.We took 5 relatively local trips last year as we got it in Aug. so with school starting the opportunity for a long trip was out the window. We did camp in extreme cold, Veterans Day weekend in the Northeast had temps in the low 30's with winds at 30 mph and the camp ground shut the water off because they were afraid it would freeze. We had a full water tank so no worries. The furnace ran every 6 minutes for 3 days and we used 1/3 of a tank of propane. After completing the CHF to the front we noticed a much tighter feel to the front of the coach the rear CHF needs doing yet. We haven't towed anything but from what I have seen on this site the ACE's are perfect for towing.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:09 AM   #10

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnemarc View Post
We have a 30.2 bought it in 2017 cuz we need the bunks. The coach has given us no troubles. The 6.8L has plenty of power.We took 5 relatively local trips last year as we got it in Aug. so with school starting the opportunity for a long trip was out the window. We did camp in extreme cold, Veterans Day weekend in the Northeast had temps in the low 30's with winds at 30 mph and the camp ground shut the water off because they were afraid it would freeze. We had a full water tank so no worries. The furnace ran every 6 minutes for 3 days and we used 1/3 of a tank of propane. After completing the CHF to the front we noticed a much tighter feel to the front of the coach the rear CHF needs doing yet. We haven't towed anything but from what I have seen on this site the ACE's are perfect for towing.
We have towed our Kia Sorento about 6000 miles with our ACE 30.3. We are using a Master Tow 80THD dolly. Tows great, never really notice it being back there.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:59 PM   #11

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
Keep in mind you get what you pay for. If you are getting a better deal than another similar class A, you'll end up paying for it in other ways. I'm not saying not to buy Thor, because I believe that despite some of the QA issues, the products are packed with features. However, you may end up having to give it some extra attention beyond the purchase as some have mentioned prior in this thread.

RVs are luxury items and you have to pay to play. Whereas a automobile seems like an entitlement to the common American, the RV is certainly not.

I personally would not buy another Thor product. However, I learned in the Marines to make the best of the situation I'm in. So we are enjoying our Miramar and someday if we keep doing the full time RV living, we'll go after something we believe that works better for us
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:28 PM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
I’d say just buy what you like. Yes motor homes are built to a price point and there almost certainly will be a few bugs to work out with any brand. Maybe even especially Thor. But very nearly all the complaints you’ll read are with simple initial build quality issues. Sure some folks have very serious failures but that is true with most any complex machine you could buy. Thor builds thousands of units a year and I’m convinced most buyers are pleased with them. Especially after they shake out the bugs. Remember to have fun. Best of luck.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:13 PM   #13

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
We have towed our Kia Sorento about 6000 miles with our ACE 30.3. We are using a Master Tow 80THD dolly. Tows great, never really notice it being back there.

Good to know! We are discussing towing our 2016 Explorer.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:31 PM   #14
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Thor

Our third Thor and we are happy. Any and all problems adressed and covered by Thor warranty without question or problems. Our dealer has also been responsive in making repairs, which I think is key.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:17 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Our third Thor and we are happy. Any and all problems adressed and covered by Thor warranty without question or problems. Our dealer has also been responsive in making repairs, which I think is key.
That speaks well of your dealership.
We'll soon find out how our new rig issues have been addressed.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote