Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2017, 10:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
Ready for more questions?

I warned you there would be many,many questions! :-)
I sill can't get hot water heater to work! I opened the compartment door on the side of the MH and the unit is turned on, I've turned it on inside the coach and set the temp . Still no hot water. I'm not sure where to go from here!
Can someone tell me how to lower the night shade? According to what I've read it should lower using the button on the dash ( which it did during the PDI) but now it only lowers part way! During the PDI the tech adjusted it for use as a visor when driving and now that's as far as it will extend!
What am I missing?
Thanks

Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 PM   #2

Model: Axis25.2
State: New York
THOR #17645
Nomad

There is a small wire on the driver side top of window that will adjust how far down shade goes
Old 04-02-2017, 11:26 PM   #3

THOR #6203
Should I use that small wire to wear the shade all the way? I thought it was just for setting the amount of shade to be used as a visor?
I've tried pushing the button on the wire then pressing the night shade button on the dash. Didn't work! I've tried pressing and holding the button on the wire while pressing the button on the dash...nothing.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:37 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Don't know if this has anything to do with your motorhome (I have a Miramar) but mine will stop at the preset point if the engine is running.

Have you turned open the water heater bypass. Perhaps it is till in the winterize mode.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:53 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #6291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
Don't know if this has anything to do with your motorhome (I have a Miramar) but mine will stop at the preset point if the engine is running.

Have you turned open the water heater bypass. Perhaps it is till in the winterize mode.

Mine will also only go part way down with key on. They explained they during the walk thru
Old 04-03-2017, 12:10 AM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Your water heater may be on bypass, check the valves.

Does your front shade move at all if it does then you have power. With the key off it should go all the way down, if not you need to program it. Push and hold the button on the end of the wire till you hear a beep, lower the shade to the dash, push the button till it beeps again, you're done.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:41 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
The manual for the front shade is attached to this post. The complete instructions for setting the limits begins around page 8 of the manual. Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MCD Gold Series Sun Shade.pdf (914.6 KB, 62 views)
Old 04-03-2017, 12:05 PM   #8

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Since you are new to all of this, forgive me if I over simplify the water heater issue. Everyone responding to you about the water heater refers to dewinterizing and bypass valves etc. assuming you are familiar with the terms.

It sounds like your dealer did not go over the use of your water heater other than here is where you turn it on. I will make the assumption that you received a generic Thor manual with your motorhome. Go to the section about winterizing your water heater. There you will find a very simple diagram of how the valves should be set for normal operation of your water heater. These valves are located on the back of your water heater. To access them, you will need to remove a panel from the inside of your coach. That panel will be located directly behind your water heater. Set the valves in the position for normal operation.

Now, if you have at any time turned on your water heater using electric, and no water was in the water heater, you burned up the heating element and the element will need to be replaced. My guess is that you did. So, try it on gas and see if you then have hot water. You can continue to use it on gas until you get a replacement element. Depending on how mechanically and electrically inclined, you can replace it yourself.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:46 PM   #9

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
Since you are new to all of this, forgive me if I over simplify the water heater issue. Everyone responding to you about the water heater refers to dewinterizing and bypass valves etc. assuming you are familiar with the terms.

It sounds like your dealer did not go over the use of your water heater other than here is where you turn it on. I will make the assumption that you received a generic Thor manual with your motorhome. Go to the section about winterizing your water heater. There you will find a very simple diagram of how the valves should be set for normal operation of your water heater. These valves are located on the back of your water heater. To access them, you will need to remove a panel from the inside of your coach. That panel will be located directly behind your water heater. Set the valves in the position for normal operation.

Now, if you have at any time turned on your water heater using electric, and no water was in the water heater, you burned up the heating element and the element will need to be replaced. My guess is that you did. So, try it on gas and see if you then have hot water. You can continue to use it on gas until you get a replacement element. Depending on how mechanically and electrically inclined, you can replace it yourself.
This previous reply makes an important point...When you purchase a motorhome it is not like purchasing a house or a car. We are used to getting in the car and turning the key and off we go, without a thought to how any of it works...because we don't need to understand it to use it. Much the same in your house. You turn on the faucet and hot or cold water comes out. You turn on the heat or AC, without regard to how it is powered. Now you have a motorhome...you turn on the AC and nothing happens, without understanding the power source needed. You turn on the hot water and nothing happens, without understanding the in use switch or the winterize bypass. You try to make ice without turning on the water bypass. All of this is not to be critical...we all have to start somewhere. But you don't know what you don't know, making it difficult to ask the right questions...READ THE MANUALS!

We are not used to that but when it comes to an RV it is mandatory!
Old 04-03-2017, 02:52 PM   #10

THOR #6203
nosticks thank you for your help. My unit has a tankless water heater which operates on propane only, do these instructions apply to that type WH as well?
I don't believe I've burned it up but I can't rule it out!
I've made an appointment to take it back to the dealer tomorrow for them to take a look at it. I will get them to go over everything with me again. It's a 3 hr drive and I was so hoping to resolve the problem myself.
Thanks again for helping!
Old 04-03-2017, 03:29 PM   #11

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
sforl -- did you by any chance download the owners manual I compiled? It has much more information about the Axis/Vegas than the Thor manuals contain. I have to agree with Miramar Owner -- you do need to spend some time reading the manual(s) because it is not as simple as getting in throwing switches. You have to know how the systems operate. For example, how and under what conditions do the batteries charge, how does the transfer relay operate, how does the sewer connection rotate to hook up the sewer hose, how should the water heater bypass valves be configured, where are the fresh water tank/cold water line/hot water line low point drains located.

Here is what my manual says about the tankless hot water system should be configured:
"Tank-Less Water Heater
In 2017 Thor began installing Girard Tank less water heater in their Vegas/Axis RV. This water heater operates on-demand and contains no water tank. It operates off of propane only and its operational controls are operated by 12 VDC. In addition, it has no by-pass valves for winterizing the water heater. The tank less water heater is winterized as if it were part of the inline hot and cold water plumbing. To operate the tank less water heater:
• Ensure the propane bottle is on
• Open the water heater door on the outside of the RV
• Turn the Power Switch On
• Set the Mode Switch to Auto
When you open a hot water valve the unit will automatically light and start heating the water. Do not use cold water to adjust the water temperature. Water temperature is adjusted at the faucet by increasing or decreasing the hot water flow.
NOTE: When using propane for either water heater it is a good idea to purge any air trapped in the propane manifold and lines. Simply light a few of the burners on the stove for a few minutes."

Here is a link to the Girard Tankless Hot Water Heater Manual -- https://www.manualslib.com/manual/94...ts-Gswh-1.html

Here is the link to my Owners' Manual --
https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP6UNyy_VYGDO0BW6L
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:45 PM   #12

THOR #6203
Ed
Yes I did download your manual. In fact I used your excellent checklist for my PDI.
I spoke with another Axis owner and he told me that when he turns on the hot water in his unit, a "flame" symbol will appear on his digital display. Mine does not.
I've followed the instructions in the manual. I've not purged the lines, but will do that later today when I can get to the MH.
Thanks
PS There was hot water when during the PDI with the MH plugged into shore power. I did not recheck it with it unplugged. Not sure if that matters or not.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:10 PM   #13

THOR #2601
Before turning on the water heater, be sure the propane lines are purged of air. Operate a couple of the stove burners for a few seconds to ensure that propane is completely filling the propane lines and manifold.

Also, did you open the door on the water heater and turn the switch ON. That's on page 11 and 12 of the manual at the link below.

Girard Tankless Water Heater Operator's manual:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/63...-1.html#manual
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 04-03-2017, 04:20 PM   #14

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Sforl, sorry I didn't know you had the tankless heater.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:22 PM   #15

THOR #2601
I don't. I have revised the manual I compiled about 25 times since writing it in Oct 2015. I included info on the tankless water heater when they were added in 2017 and I wanted to be sure what I have in the manual is correct.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)