Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2015, 12:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 35HT
State: Maryland
THOR #1875
Rear Fuel Door on Challenger

Anyone else think that Thor putting a fuel door on the rear of a coach was a bad idea?

On my Challenger the fuel door is on the rear. So whenever I have to get fuel I have to find a gas station where there is enough room for a 36 foot coach to sit out in front of the pumps. This usually means I block off a portion of the gas station parking lot while I am fueling up. It would have been much easier to gas up if they had left the fuel door on the side of the coach. I haven't tried fueling up at a truck stop yet. Does anyone know if they have gas pumps back where the trucks normally fuel up? The rear fuel door wouldn't be a problem if there was room to pull through like the trucks.

2015 Thor Challenger 35HT
jrben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:12 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Not sure if the fuel door location is a Thor thing, or a Ford thing. Typically the fuel door is near the fuel tank. On our Axis the tank is right behind the rear wheels.

Granted our coach is only 25 ft but we still stick out a bit while getting gas.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:30 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Randy,

Try it with the 38 foot, 37* floor plans.

I was wondering about the truck side as well and I'm not sure.

The concept behind the rear fuel door is good in theory but bad in practicality. The concept is that you can fuel with the pumps on either the drivers or passengers side. What I found, however, is that often times the pump hose length is about a foot too short to fuel with the pump on the passenger side.

Whenever I plan a trip I try to plan fuel stops as well. I download the current Pilot Flying J directory and try to use locations with RV lanes. Also, using Google Maps Satellite and Street views, I look at the station so I have an idea about the entrance and exits and how the pumps are laid out before even leaving the house.

The rear fuel door is also on the Miramar.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:07 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #1226
With a 37 the rear fueling is a bad idea. Even with a 29 I've had problems.

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:31 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
"The grass is always greener....."!!

I have a Hurricane 34E with the fuel door on the driver's side of the coach. However, I can clearly recall telling myself that it would be great to have had the fuel door in the center rear of the coach, so that I can fuel at any pump.

As it is, the coach is 35' long. But, when pulling a toad the rig is about 54' long. So, I already must carefully consider my approach to the pumps when fueling, but I am ALWAYS limited to the driver's side.

It would be so nice if I could pump on either side!!