Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2020, 09:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
Rear jacks make ticking sound after leveling

I did a search on this without any results that resembled what I'm experiencing.

After leveling my Motorhome with the hydraulic jack system, the rear jacks make a ticking sound for several minutes. Is this a problem?

Motorhome is a 2017 Thor A.C.E. 27.2.

Old 02-14-2020, 02:02 AM   #2
RWF

Model: Tuscany 36MQ
State: Washington
THOR #15174
Well, I was hoping that someone with more wisdome than I would solve your problem, but I'll give it a shot.
My last motor home would do that, only it would pop at very inappropriate times, like just after we went to sleep, and continue ocationaly through the night and day.
I attributed it to an internally leaking hydraulic cylinder or valve. That shouldn't be a problem except it can be very annoying sometimes. It would likely take weeks to settle enough to notice.
We never delt with it but I can imagine that it would be difficult to locate the actual faulty part. You might have to just start replacing components till you stumble uppon the problem......
Old 02-14-2020, 02:13 AM   #3
RWF

Model: Tuscany 36MQ
THOR #15174
I tried to add a coment to my last post but it doesn't seem to change, but it occured to me that if your coach is new or if the jack system has been worked on recently there could be air in the system that will work its way out in time, no more problem........
Old 02-14-2020, 02:23 AM   #4

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
There is a video on the fix on YouTube type in leveling system cracking and popping easy fix couple of dollars time consuming
Old 02-14-2020, 05:02 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Mine does it, I've gotten used to it.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:21 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
We've had moments when this happens, and it can be VERY un-nerving... though I also suppose, as I tell myself at least, that it's 'normal' and should be of no concern. But, I'm concerned anyway : /

now, interestingly, when I last leveled my coach, I noticed that if I ran the legs out more severely on one side than the other, this 'noise' was much more pronounced, almost as if the chassis did not 'like' being this 'crooked'(bent or twisted). I tried to 'see' where the sound was really coming from, but no matter where I looked or where I crawled under the coach, it was difficult to identify. I really didn't see it actually being the legs, themselves.

Here's the rub: I re-leveled the coach, putting boards under the 'low' side tires, making the coach more level to start with, then leveled again, and 'voila!', no more popping.
Interesting.

Is that the answer? I don't know, but it seemed to work, at least this time. The annoying 'sounds' disappeared, so I assume that the coach being more level to start with must have something to do with the issue, whether it's the leveling system and legs, or the chassis. Who knows.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:00 PM   #7

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down South View Post
I did a search on this without any results that resembled what I'm experiencing.

After leveling my Motorhome with the hydraulic jack system, the rear jacks make a ticking sound for several minutes. Is this a problem?

Lippert Support has one fix.
If you are raising the home too much and putting a lot of strain on the jacks, I would say the popping is due to that. I believe it is just slight leakage (usually back into the system, not on the ground) that causes the noise.
If it continues to pop, usually you will notice the MH dropping, then it is a lot of leakage!
Now levelling (with boards) the MH before using the jacks, it is just taking some stress off of the jack, as the jack still does have to extend to the same length. Just the chassis suspensions are taking some stresses off.

Stay cool
Old 02-14-2020, 09:16 PM   #8

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
LCI put out a notice to remove a qt of fluid from your reservoir and replace with motorcycle fork oil anti-stiction MAXIMA 15wt or CAT HYDRAULIC OIL ADDITIVE 1U-9891 I used TORCO RFF Racing Fork Oil 15. With jacks up remove and replaced with TORCO fork oil 15 ran jacks up an down auto level a couple of time only hear it occasionally when big temp change overnight. LCI states if it persist you can add a 2nd qt
Old 02-15-2020, 12:13 AM   #9

THOR #17883
Thanks for the replies folks. I pulled the jacks up earlier today to do the CHF "Cheap Handling Fix" on the rear sway bar and I didn't notice any ticking when I put the jacks back down.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:26 AM   #10

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
This might be helpful: https://community.fmca.com/applicati...nt.php?id=6165
Old 02-15-2020, 05:58 AM   #11

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
LCI put out a notice to remove a qt of fluid from your reservoir and replace with motorcycle fork oil anti-stiction MAXIMA 15wt or CAT HYDRAULIC OIL ADDITIVE 1U-9891 I used TORCO RFF Racing Fork Oil 15. With jacks up remove and replaced with TORCO fork oil 15 ran jacks up an down auto level a couple of time only hear it occasionally when big temp change overnight. LCI states if it persist you can add a 2nd qt
I put CAT HYDRAULIC OIL ADDITIVE 1U-9891 in my system and it works great.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:10 AM   #12

THOR #17883
Well, got home and jacks ticking again and I'm on a level driveway. Thank you Norrirn for the link. Thanks to all for your replies.

I ordered the Torco RFF Grade 15 from Amazon. It was the first choice from Lippert components in the PDF file that Norrirn provided a link to.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:06 PM   #13

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
We've had moments when this happens, and it can be VERY un-nerving... though I also suppose, as I tell myself at least, that it's 'normal' and should be of no concern. But, I'm concerned anyway : /

now, interestingly, when I last leveled my coach, I noticed that if I ran the legs out more severely on one side than the other, this 'noise' was much more pronounced, almost as if the chassis did not 'like' being this 'crooked'(bent or twisted). I tried to 'see' where the sound was really coming from, but no matter where I looked or where I crawled under the coach, it was difficult to identify. I really didn't see it actually being the legs, themselves.

Here's the rub: I re-leveled the coach, putting boards under the 'low' side tires, making the coach more level to start with, then leveled again, and 'voila!', no more popping.
Interesting.

Is that the answer? I don't know, but it seemed to work, at least this time. The annoying 'sounds' disappeared, so I assume that the coach being more level to start with must have something to do with the issue, whether it's the leveling system and legs, or the chassis. Who knows.
That is the only fix I have found as well, when the lot if fairly level then and easy fix

Sloped lot and then we often hear the settling until we leave
Old 02-19-2020, 07:08 PM   #14

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
On another thread a few years ago someone had used Marvel Mystery Oil adding a quart

Seems like it would be worth a try and would be interesting in my case to see if it stopped so will do it
Old 02-19-2020, 07:40 PM   #15

State: California
THOR #12125
I agree with all the theories posted above, but also have 1 more theory:

- Possible weep in one of your hydraulic jack lines?

I was experiencing said symptoms as well. Most notable was when I was dry camping on very un-even ground and having to extend some of the jacks near their limits.

But I also noticed it occasionally in an RV park on level concrete with little extension of the jacks - not as prominent of a pop or anywhere as consistent though.

But I also noticed a burning oil smell coming from my motorhome after driving a bit and then coming to stop or a crawl in traffic. Even saw a puff of smoke or 2 from the rear once. But I could never find any wet oil or sign of a leak anywhere. Was getting ready to take it to Ford because it was driving me nuts.

Then on a trip one day while driving, all of a sudden the LCI alarm goes off. Very strong burning oil smell, smoke blowing from under the motorhome. I pull over and trans oil (same oil that goes in the auto leveling jacks) is all over the passenger side exhaust manifold, step and undercarriage on the front passenger side. Traced it to the passenger front hydraulic jack line where it is zip-tied to a horizontal frame cross member. Seems as the bouncing up and down over time slowly chafed the line until it popped. It may have been weeping all along and burning off before I could see where it was coming from.

So, was it a weep in the line causing the jacks to lose slight pressure and pop? Or was it the stiction issue (I put anti-stiction in also) or the jacks flexing/popping slightly because of being extended to their limits? Or a combination of all?

I haven't been dry camping yet since I replaced the hydraulic line, but I've yet to notice any popping/creaking on any of my other trips.

Anyway, there's another theory for you. Might want to check all your hydraulic jack lines carefully. I got lucky that mine didn't cause a fire.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:05 PM   #16

THOR #15556
Noisy Jacks.

Quote:

We had same annoyance with our 2012 Thor Ace. My husband lubricated them with WD40 while fully extended. Did the trick. Heard about this somewhere. Hope it helps you.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:24 PM   #17

THOR #17883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbert View Post
We had same annoyance with our 2012 Thor Ace. My husband lubricated them with WD40 while fully extended. Did the trick. Heard about this somewhere. Hope it helps you.
Thanks Herbert and as a new member myself, welcome to the forum.

There just happens to be a can of WD-40 sitting in my garage about 30' from the MH.

I'll give both a try, the additive and the WD-40.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:06 PM   #18

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
I think it's important to note where this happening. I have auto-level and never hear this sound unless parked on gravel or dirt - not on grass, concrete or pavement.

The two rigs on either side of me make the same noise sometimes. It's worse when the tanks fill or someone walks in the rig. The trailer to my left has scissor jacks all around, the 5th on my right has scissors in the back and electrics in front.

If you hear this on pavement or concrete, you might want to listen to the others.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:46 AM   #19

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: New York
THOR #5840
Quote:
Thanks for the replies folks. I pulled the jacks up earlier today to do the CHF "Cheap Handling Fix" on the rear sway bar and I didn't notice any ticking when I put the jacks back down.
Not sure if this is the same as your issue, but I was getting creeking from my Jack's when deployed especially when walking around in the RV or moving while sleeping. It was loose jack bolts where they bolt to the chassis. Not noticable until I tried retorking them. I was able to make between a half and full turn on several Jack's. Problem solved.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:14 AM   #20
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
I put CAT HYDRAULIC OIL ADDITIVE 1U-9891 in my system and it works great.

When I had a fifth wheel, this is the best over all the other additives. The other two were good, but did not cure the problem. CAT 1U-9891 was the most expensive. but worked.