Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2018, 06:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Recreation.gov Website changes

Tried making reservations, new site still doesn't work. Phone is 30 minute wait and they don't call back per menu system. This is c##p.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:17 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
Tried making reservations, new site still doesn't work. Phone is 30 minute wait and they don't call back per menu system. This is c##p.
Maybe they outsourced it to Camping World.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:25 PM   #3

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
CW would take the call but put it on hold for 3 months. No music, no "your call is very important to us " message. Nada.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:29 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
explain the details of what you mean by 'doesn't work'...
Old 12-11-2018, 11:00 PM   #5

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
The “new” website works, but it is not as user friendly as the old one.
It used to show a map of the campground and would indicate which sites were open on a specific date. This was useful if you were not familiar with the campground, and would show which sites were near desired points such as a waterfront site. This function no longer works.
Now it just shows a chart and you have no idea as to the location of a site relative to its surroundings.
The one campground I visited on the new website did have photos of each individual site which was a nice touch in my opinion.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:16 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
CW would take the call but put it on hold for 3 months. No music, no "your call is very important to us " message. Nada.
Oh, that's just so mean!

But probably 100% true!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:29 PM   #7

THOR #4735
the Campground layout map is a link right below the
'SHOW SITES' and
'CHECK AVAILABILITY' buttons

also, when you click on the Check Availability button, the right side will show you all the sites, areas, and you can even switch it to 'satellite' to see a 'live' view, and zoom in or out.
The Show Sites button gives you some closer photos and details of each site, once you've found one on the map you like.

seems to me it works really good.... I've reserved twice since the new rollout and had no issues with finding my site or making reservation, or even changing them.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:41 PM   #8

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Maybe they outsourced it to Camping World.
I don’t have any pecuniary interest in CW, but they have a,ways treated me well.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:01 PM   #9

THOR #4735
since CW is the big bohemeth in the industry, it's easy for some to target them ...whether they do a better job or not than any other dealer.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:08 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
since CW is the big bohemeth in the industry, it's easy for some to target them ...whether they do a better job or not than any other dealer.
Hey I could have said Thor...the joke would be the same LOL
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:30 PM   #11

THOR #4735
I can only speak for myself, but both CW and THOR have always treated us well : )
Old 12-12-2018, 04:30 PM   #12

THOR #12827
Quote:
the Campground layout map is a link right below the
'SHOW SITES' and
'CHECK AVAILABILITY' buttons

also, when you click on the Check Availability button, the right side will show you all the sites, areas, and you can even switch it to 'satellite' to see a 'live' view, and zoom in or out.
The Show Sites button gives you some closer photos and details of each site, once you've found one on the map you like.

seems to me it works really good.... I've reserved twice since the new rollout and had no issues with finding my site or making reservation, or even changing them.
When I try to look at the map option I get this pop up
“We're unable to display map locations at this time. We're sorry for any inconvenience as we continue to update our data.”
Old 12-12-2018, 04:33 PM   #13

THOR #4735
what brower are you using? or are you using your cell phone or ePad?
Old 12-12-2018, 04:34 PM   #14

THOR #12827
Quote:
what brower are you using? or are you using your cell phone or ePad?
iPad, always worked before.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:42 PM   #15

THOR #4735
it sounds like your computer/device's rendering software is not showing the site correctly, as it works just fine on my Chromebook...
but the site says that it does not work on Safari 10...which you may have.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:41 PM   #16

THOR #12827
Quote:
it sounds like your computer/device's rendering software is not showing the site correctly, as it works just fine on my Chromebook...
but the site says that it does not work on Safari 10...which you may have.
Getting same results on my Windows laptop.
They are probably still building the website and don’t have all the campgrounds fully up to date yet.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:11 PM   #17

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Just had my first experience with the "new and improved" Recreation.gov site. I was looking to make reservations at our favorite spot in Rocky Mountain National Park (no I won't tell you what site, but it is in Moraine Park).

I started on Sunday, but found someone else had snagged our spot on Sunday and Monday (June 23-24) by making a reservation starting earlier that week. No problem, we will just arrive on Tuesday when RMNP is way less crazy.

The site tells you nothing about when reservations open for a site, other than its a 6 month rolling window, and that the telephone lines don't open until 10:00AM Eastern time. Not a word about the time when the window opens for on line reservations.

So I figure that all of Mr. Murphy's rules apply and sit up until midnight on Christmas Eve just in case they open the window at midnight. No such luck, but I did spend some time looking for a time, and the best I could find was a Trip Advisor post that said they were able to make on line reservations at 7:00 AM Central - makes sense as it 8:00 AM Eastern. Time to go to bed

So after staying out until after midnight, I drag my butt out of bed at 5:45AM (MST). Hooray! The site shows up as available and I select our days and click continue.... and..... get a message that says the the site isn't released until 10:00 AM EST. More coffee, queue up the reservation at 7:58 MST and wait for the clock to click over to 8:00 - Success! They even know who I am from the old site. A minute or two of entering credit card and lifetime pass data and I'm set.

So overall, the experience was decent, but the lack of explicit window opening times caused me to lose a bit of sleep and, some teeth gnashing and a few colorful comments. Actually a 10:00 AM open for on-line reservations does make sense and is more fair to those of us who live in points west.

I remember the old days of phone only reservations where if you wanted to get into Yosemite you had to play telephone roulette at midnight, only to find out that all the slots had been taken by folks on the east coast who got to call in at midnight their time. If you called the east coast reservation number they wouldn't take a reservation if you didn't live in the eastern time zone. So things have improved.

Their maps need some improvement as several sites are shown well away from where they really are. I also found that the site works like crap on Safari, but switching over to Chrome took care of those problems. I did get the "unable to show maps" a couple of times, but refreshing the page cleared those problems.

On a related issue, we also have used ReserveAmerica for Colorado State Parks, but found that this year that you can no longer access Colorado State Park reservations from ReserveAmerica. When you got to the Colorado State Park site and click on Reservations - it takes you to ReserveAmerican where you can make reservations just like we used to. You just have to come in from the State Parks site. Got to wonder what's going on behind the curtains.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote