Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2019, 02:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Mexico
THOR #15382
Red Low Point Drain tube Flowing

Hello fellow RV'rs, I am new to this site and new to owning my 2005 Thor Jazz RL2550. I winterized the camper last per the previous owners instructions, all was good with no cracked lines however this last weekend we headed out to the lake and I could not figure out why water is flowing right from the red low point drain tube. To narrow it down this is what I have found so far. On city water connection the system pressurizes and holds just fine. Once I disconnect from city and pump from the freshwater tank then the water flows right out of the red low point drain tube. The water pressure does not hold in the system. I looked under my camper and that's where I identified a blue and red hose hanging down which after research found to be called low point drain tubes.

Does anyone have a clue as to why the water flows right out the red low point tube when using the pump?

Old 05-20-2019, 03:35 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Not to assume anything, but did you check to make sure the valve(s) (90 degree) on the low point drains are closed all the way? Maybe they were opened for draining during the winterization and not closed back. They will be upstream (obviously) from the tip of the hose but in a compartment or behind a cabinet door somewhere. the valve may be cracked open a tad, bleeding off the pressure. It probably leaks on the city water hookup as well but you don't notice it as there is no pump in the mix and the pressure stays high while on city water. This wouldn't just leak on pump operation and not leak while on city water pressure.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:57 PM   #3

THOR #15382
Thanks Gritz Carlton for the reply. Honestly I did not know or see any valves for the LP drains. What I did see was from the pump (Under kitchen sink) the tube goes to a T which flows cold directly to sink and then goes into a little rectangular box beneath the floor. Inside the box I can see elbows and PEX tubing of red and blue which come out of the hole and head towards the water heater. Maybe the LP drain valves are by the water heater? Do all RV water systems have these LP drain valves installed? I have noticed in pictures of LP drain tubes, it seems there are valves or caps at the ends of the tubes hanging down from the under carriage. Mine are just free open ends of red and blue PEX.
So a little rewind before winterizing. Everything worked as it should, I didn't mess with any valves during winterizing. I drained the tanks completely and blew out the lines with 15 psi making sure all lines were empty and then poured RV Antifreeze down the drains.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:06 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_nm1 View Post
Thanks Gritz Carlton for the reply. Honestly I did not know or see any valves for the LP drains. What I did see was from the pump (Under kitchen sink) the tube goes to a T which flows cold directly to sink and then goes into a little rectangular box beneath the floor. Inside the box I can see elbows and PEX tubing of red and blue which come out of the hole and head towards the water heater. Maybe the LP drain valves are by the water heater? Do all RV water systems have these LP drain valves installed? I have noticed in pictures of LP drain tubes, it seems there are valves or caps at the ends of the tubes hanging down from the under carriage. Mine are just free open ends of red and blue PEX.
So a little rewind before winterizing. Everything worked as it should, I didn't mess with any valves during winterizing. I drained the tanks completely and blew out the lines with 15 psi making sure all lines were empty and then poured RV Antifreeze down the drains.
Most Thor's have them and the valves are usually inside the coach--not at the end underneath.

On our Axis the valves are right at the 90 degree bend where the LP drains go through the floor.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:22 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the Forum!
I'm sure that once you locate the valves: one of them will need to be closed...
I'm not sure about this; but I think that it quits flowing when you're hooked up to the City Water supply, because that situation takes your freshwater tank, and water pump out of the equation.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:29 PM   #6

THOR #15382
Thank you Bob and Jamie for the replies! Looks like tonight after work I am going to go Valve hunting! Not that this affects the problem, I did notice the pressure relief valve really needs to be replaced. It has a ton of corrosion and I can barely pull the little lever out and it just dribbles water out. I'll get that replaced too. Thanks again, I'll look tonight and report back tomorrow of what I find.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:49 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Good luck, and happy hunting!
Old 05-20-2019, 08:00 PM   #8

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
maybe this will help...your valves are probably similar to mine...
here's a picture of the valves under my bed...the T shaped thing...there are two there but one is hidden a bit.

It's a pull up to open push down to close...not a typical "turn to operate" valve that most folks would expect...

oh, and yes, I turn off the power before reaching down through that mess!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190416_124622.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	17536  
Old 05-20-2019, 08:06 PM   #9

THOR #15382
Thank you Blw2, I would have probably missed it had I seen a valve handle like that in a T shape to pull rather than turn.

Thanks guys, will be hunting in 3hrs and will report back tomorrow of any findings or missed findings...ha ha haha
Old 05-21-2019, 01:21 AM   #10

THOR #13655
In my 29.3 ace low point drain valves are in outdoor kitchen pull out the soap tray under sink there hidden under top hope this helps
Old 05-21-2019, 01:48 AM   #11

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Just a possibility: You mentioned that you winterized the RV, but "I didn't mess with any valves during winterizing." That may be part of the problem. The water near that valve may have frozen and cracked over the winter. Once you locate the valves, check them closely with some pressure on the water system.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:19 AM   #12

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Good point Pop!! Probably spot on.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:47 AM   #13

State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I am going to go a different way on this. To me it could be the valve used to suck anti freeze into the system. That would explain why it leaks only when using the onboard water. I think you need to be looking for a small inline valve that will be before the water pump and after the fresh water tank line. It may have a tube attached to it. That would have been used to suck anti freeze into your lines. Either way good luck
Old 05-21-2019, 11:10 AM   #14

THOR #15382
Ok guys, I got it figured out and yes it was a valve that was open. I must have opened the valve by accident when I was replacing the tube from the tank to the pump. Many thanks to you guys and Blw2 as my valve handle was T shaped just like his. My system pressurized and water heater kicked on.. all is good again.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:49 AM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1558439372
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gunny 02.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	17545  
Old 05-21-2019, 12:59 PM   #16

THOR #15382
I finally figured out how to upload a photo to this site, here you go guys and thank you again!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RV.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	17546