Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2021, 10:12 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 35MQ
State: Florida
THOR #21743
Refridge

Age old question, still not sure. Can I run my gas/electric fridge in my motorhome off the batteries while driving? I prefer propane, but always the battle about running on propane while driving.

Old 07-09-2021, 11:45 AM   #2

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
fridge needs 120 volts. you'll have to run generator or invertor
Old 07-09-2021, 12:05 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Yes: you can run the fridge. Run it on propane, and it'll pick up the power it needs for monitoring temperatures from your Coach batteries.
(Just keep the switch set to "Use".
(did this all the time with my Outlaw 29-H...)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:09 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
If you have a three way fridge: propane, 12V DC and 120V AC, you can run off of DC while underway. DC provides less cooling than propane or AC so only use it when fully cooled down.

Also make sure that your chassis alternator will charge the house batteries while underway, otherwise you may have dead batteries after a long trip. Not all work that way or work well. Hint- read Judge's comments on wiring the Precision Circuit's BM 160 properly if that is what you have. It should be wired chassis to the A terminal and coach to B. Thor usually wires it the other way which doesn't work well.

But propane works fine in my RV while driving.

David
Old 07-09-2021, 02:08 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by robebur View Post
Age old question, still not sure. Can I run my gas/electric fridge in my motorhome off the batteries while driving? I prefer propane, but always the battle about running on propane while driving.
Directly off the batteries? - No
The fridge uses 12 VDC control power from the batteries so as Bob said, the house batteries need to be connected to the DC buss; but the cooling power comes from either propane or as Trkyte said, 120 VAC from either the generator or an inverter, which isn't installed by the factory unless you have a residential fridge.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 03:20 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I've got a 3-way Norcold: but I've never tried using 12 volt power for cooling.
Old 07-09-2021, 04:39 PM   #7

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I've got a 3-way Norcold: but I've never tried using 12 volt power for cooling.
It works fine. In very rough numbers, 12V supplies 150 watts and requires 12 amps and 120V AC supplies 300 watts. So 12V cools less and shouldn't be used to cool down the fridge. Works fine for keeping it cool while you travel.

Some think you shouldn't use propane while moving, claiming it blows out the flame. Maybe it does, but lights back up immediately.

David
Old 07-09-2021, 04:45 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I've always used propane power for the 'Fridge while travelling, and I've never suffered a blow-out....
(although I may have just jinxed myself! )
I've always tried to be careful of putting too much stress on the batteries...
Old 07-09-2021, 04:50 PM   #9

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Propane while driving every time. Never a problem

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 09:41 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
But if you DON'T WANT to run it on propane while driving (as I do) it’s a very simple mod to connect the fridges electric outlet to your inverter. If you don’t have one an inexpensive 800 - 1000W unit will be more than adequate. A dedicated ATS runs to about $50 and is a worthwhile addition so you don’t have to remember to switch it to shore power when you plug in.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:55 PM   #11

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
But if you WANT to run it on propane while driving (as I do) it’s a very simple mod to connect the fridges electric outlet to your inverter. If you don’t have one an inexpensive 800 - 1000W unit will be more than adequate. A dedicated ATS runs to about $50 and is a worthwhile addition so you don’t have to remember to switch it to shore power when you plug in.
I have the standard class C absorption (AC/propane) and have been using propane while rolling. I was toying with the idea of running it off of a dedicated "affordable" inverter. Any specific instructions on doing that? Is it more of a PIA than it's worth? Solar on the roof is free to charge the batteries... propane ain't cheap... and extra gas running the genny... free sunshine wins.
Old 07-10-2021, 12:33 AM   #12

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Why do you think you need an inverter to run the fridge on propane? It's made to run on propane using the house batteries for 12 VDC control power.

Mistyped. The thread is about running on 12v and that is what I was describing. Old brain. Sorry to have confused the thread.
Old 07-10-2021, 12:35 AM   #13

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
We have a Norcold N510 three way fridge. I usually drive using the 12 V option but have used propane. There's an "auto" option on the fridge that I like. If there's AC available, that's what's used. Propane is the next option and finally DC is used. I usually turn the propane tank off just before heading out and back on as soon as I stop. But there are times that I forget and the propane works just fine. The last trip we took, I just left the propane tank open - bypassing the DC option and my faulty memory.
Old 07-10-2021, 12:43 AM   #14

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Wow a lot of views here, but I say YES!!!! to your question

But NOT sure why you prefer to run on propane while driving?

I did an easy mod; so I do not have to use propane or generator to run my Norcold 2 way fridge while driving.

I am going to assume your factory setup is like mine. You can run Propane or Electric (but some DC power must be available to do so)

I ran an AC line off my Inverter's circuit to the back of my Norcold fridge. Now my AC power is fed from either Shorepower, Generator or my new (mod) Inverter's circuit (which is the batteries and how I did it based on your question)

Before this mod, I use to always have the fridge on Auto (Gas/Electric) no more. It is always set to Electric; so when shorepower or genset is on the fridge has power, but here is the best part; when driving; I simply turn on my Inverter and my fridge is now running off the batteries Since this mod; I NEVER run propane while driving for any reason. I only use the propane when boondocked (not driving, no shorepower, no generator) I don't pretend to have a Residential Fridge; consumes too much juice. I just switch to propane if shorepower / generator is NOT available and engine's alternator is not running
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 05:00 AM   #15
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Mistyped. The thread is about running on 12v and that is what I was describing. Old brain. Sorry to have confused the thread.
I fixed your post and deleted mine.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 11:29 AM   #16

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Why the battle? There are few issues that come from operating the refer on propane while driving. The only ones that come to mind is while refueling and certain tunnels want it off. Other than that it's safe and efficient. No modifications required. When I had an absorbent refer in the RV, I always drove with the refer on. Yes I turned it off for refueling, and yes if I encountered a tunnel with a requirement I would turn it off.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 12:24 PM   #17

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I fixed your post and deleted mine.

Thank you. I’ll ask my nurse if she can up my medication….
Old 07-10-2021, 01:04 PM   #18

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
[QUOTE=Chateau_Nomad;302926]I have the standard class C absorption (AC/propane) and have been using propane while rolling. I was toying with the idea of running it off of a dedicated "affordable" inverter. Any specific instructions on doing that? Is it more of a PIA than it's worth?

DKoldman: Not sure I would approach this mod with a dedicated inverter unless you are also planning to increase battery capacity? I make the assumption the coach already has an inverter? If so, you simply need to connect the existing AC feed to Fridge to the existing Inverter's circuit, or do what I did and purchase an appliance cord (made by Southwire really heavy duty) and tap into my MBR TV AC box (chosen because it was already on the existing Inverter's circuit and was only 10 feet from the rear of Fridge) Cost me $15 and 30 minutes.
BTW: I then called Winnebago; so they made notes of the wiring change I made on my coach's serial number. I asked why didn't they do that in the first place and they stated regulations with RVIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Solar on the roof is free to charge the batteries... propane ain't cheap... and extra gas running the genny... free sunshine wins.
DKoldman: Where do I go to get the free Solar? It is a hefty investment.

I pay $1.99 - $2.58 per gallon for propane as an Alternative Fuel at any of our local U Haul Dealers. I have never had to purchase propane on a trip (yet) The only way I can get ANY relevant propane usage is when I need heat in freezing temperatures (don't think solar can run my heater?). I can go several months and all summer maybe longer with just fridge & hot water off one propane tank $18.

If you own a genny, by recommended procedure; you must run it and in most cases you can't run it enough (100 - 150hrs / year) to keep it working in optimum condition. I would rather run 2 hours a day on a boondocked trip with immediate power; than leave it idle the entire time relying on weather and all day Solar to recharge me. I get and admire those that wish to be [/B]Green,[B] but think it comes with some costs and some limitations as Solar is not free.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 04:34 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Thank you. I’ll ask my nurse if she can up my medication….
Maybe you could share them with the rest of us...
Old 07-10-2021, 05:04 PM   #20

THOR #6826
It’s a fairly easy mod to put your fridge on an inverter. Especially if you already have one. Just run some 15/2 Romex to the outlet that powers your fridge - its outside behind the vent/access panel. If you have an ATS so much the better. The fridge draws 3-4 amps so it’s not difficult to cover that with solar but, of course, night and rainy days are a problem unless you have a big battery bank. I don’t boondock much but I prefer to drive with the propane off at the tank. My ATS switches to shore power as soon as I plug in so it pretty much of a no brainer in practice. If you don’t already have an inverter it’s easy to install one. Just remember to locate it as close to the battery as possible and use the appropriate size wire.